News   Jul 12, 2024
 819     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 741     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 311     0 

Are Yonge and Sheppard retail stores Done For?

thunderpunch

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ive been looking for 6 months now for something decent on yonge street to come up as I just bought into a franchise and it seems like every time I find a retal space, the landlord passes over me because a big condo company has bought the property.

Is street front retail going to be a thing of the past here?

Why did you post twice?

Anyways, how about looking into whether any of the new condo developments at Y/S will have street-front retail? Similar to how menkes' Ultima has a very successful Shoppers Drug Mart, Tim Horton's, and Running Room on it's street-facing level.

I guess you were trying to get a space in the plaza which has Bar Burrito and Sushi One? Or the smaller plaza which has the UPS Store and Pizza Hut?

Not sure. Tried editing my post and it came out as a double?

Yes Im looking around there. Theres a random corner unit on the opposite side that would be awesome for retail but it looks like its occupied by a messy office of some sort.

Saw another one 5 months ago thats still vacant. Its next to bombay bhel and a sushi joint. Looks like itll be knocked down as well.

Theres an indian resteraunt a little further north thats getting knocked down as well.
I want to open ASAP so Id really either go futher north towards steeles or try to go to etobicoke or another high traffic area.

Not sure. Tried editing my post and it came out as a double?

Yes Im looking around there. Theres a random corner unit on the opposite side that would be awesome for retail but it looks like its occupied by a messy office of some sort.

Saw another one 5 months ago thats still vacant. Its next to bombay bhel and a sushi joint. Looks like itll be knocked down as well.

Theres an indian resteraunt a little further north thats getting knocked down as well.
I want to open ASAP so Id really either go futher north towards steeles or try to go to etobicoke or another high traffic area.

I sorta see what you mean. Y/S is indeed prime, but it's also a bit tough to get in there at the moment. I think you will have more luck if you look North of Empress/Park Home. If even THAT doesn't work, try North of Finch (Finch to Steeles). I'm sure you should find SOMETHING in that area. There's literally a kazillion silly pointless shops up there! But whatever you do, don't get a place in Centerpoint Mall. I hate that place! It's a horrible, horrible mall.

Which indian resto is being knocked down??? Bombay Bhel?

What are you trying to open, may we ask?

Not sure about Bombay Bhel.... but the whole block from Spring Garden to Hollywood will soon be demolished for sure.

Pearl II is coming in place of Shwarma Max and Chez Laurent. Its taking a huge length of Yonge St.

Not sure about Bombay Bhel.... but the whole block from Spring Garden to Hollywood will soon be demolished for sure.

Pearl II is coming in place of Shwarma Max and Chez Laurent. Its taking a huge length of Yonge St.

What! Say it ain't so! I love Shwarma Max's falafel pitas. :(

Guess I better check out the Pearl 2 thread then.

Coltraine,
All I can say is it has to do with Vitamins and Supplements.

I cant remember what its called. I think Cuisine of india. Its got a big purple pilon sign.
The unit I wanted is right next to bombay bhel so Im pretty sure that willl get knocked down too.

I am infact also looking at Yonge and Steeles but if it were to be so far north...I need ample parking.

Theres a spot with a jewelery store called Act 2 that would be perfect.....

The Indian restaurant being knocked down is on the west side of Yonge north of Park Home, for the Centrium condo + hotel.

The "messy office" mentioned before is, if memory serves me correctly, temporarily being used as a condo construction office.

There's really not very many redevelopable sites left in the North York Centre zone and developers are busy consolidating whatever lots are left, which may explain some vacant storefronts.

The condo base retail spots are invariably worse than the retail spots being torn down, as well as probably being more expensive and a bit more stifling in terms of what goes into them. Yonge can't afford to lose many more blocks of pre-condo retail buildings...losing the block with the Mr. Greek, Bar Burrito, etc., would be a disaster. There are a few spots, like where Centrium is going, that can afford to go because the existing retail buildings are in poor shape, don't meet the sidewalk, are filled with parking spots, etc.

Some of the retail units in Pulse and Grande Triomphe, closer to Finch, have sat unoccupied by a year or more. The local population has basically doubled in the past decade, and threads like this prove there are entrepreneurs looking to open on Yonge, yet some condo retail units sit and sit and sit. The Triomphe retail units are shoebox-sized but the ones beneath Pulse seem quite large, so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe the leasing rates/regulations.

It'd be nice if when a development begins, the developer made an effort to relocate the dispalced store and retaurants within the same community, but I'm not sure this ever happens...there's no obligation, anyway.

Long term, it might be worth trying a site north of Finch...if the subway is extended, foot traffic along Yonge will dramatically rise and the wall of condos will march north.

scarberiankhatru,

Thanks for that info. I know theres tons of units north of empress in the buildings you said but you hit the nail on the head. Theyre tiny, and im not a dummy.....If no ones in there for a year, im not running in there any time soon.

I wanted to cater to the walking traffic by the gyms near empress OR if I go futher north, id want to have parking spots and go closer to yonge and steeles and cater to thornhill, willowdale, richmondhill, etc....

Its tough trying to get things going and becomes unmotivating when youre money is invested but youre just waiting and waiting and waiting for the perfect spot....that seemingly never comes....

The Indian restaurant being knocked down is on the west side of Yonge north of Park Home, for the Centrium condo + hotel.

The "messy office" mentioned before is, if memory serves me correctly, temporarily being used as a condo construction office.

Yeah, it seems like such a waste. Also, did you guys notice that there's a role-playing club (as in Dungeons and Dragons and Magic cards) located above the Hooraiya (sushi joint next to Bombay Bhel). THat's hilarious! I wonder how they can pay the rent on such a property. It would be perfect for a lawyer or doctor/dentist office.

Yonge can't afford to lose many more blocks of pre-condo retail buildings...losing the block with the Mr. Greek, Bar Burrito, etc., would be a disaster.

The MR.SUB in that block closed. wonder what's going to take its place.

The Triomphe retail units are shoebox-sized but the ones beneath Pulse seem quite large, so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe the leasing rates/regulations.

Didn't PULSE get a Bank of Montreal in it's retail spot? A bit weird, having a bank on the first floor of your condo, but interesting nonetheless.

Its tough trying to get things going and becomes unmotivating when youre money is invested but youre just waiting and waiting and waiting for the perfect spot....that seemingly never comes....

I guess you're not interested in a spot in the Sheppard Centre? I hear the rates are high, but traffic levels during M-F seem to be decent.
Strangely there always seem to be at least 1-2 vacant spots there.

Didn't PULSE get a Bank of Montreal in it's retail spot? A bit weird, having a bank on the first floor of your condo, but interesting nonetheless.

I don't remember what's opened, but the last time I went past I remember looking in the windows at the empty units and thinking that they were large enough that maybe they won't just be filled with sushi shops and nail salons.

Back