News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 565     0 

Are some builders more honest about square footage than others?

Kenny

Member Bio
Reaction score
Recently, I've been looking at several condos for either purchase or rental.

While considering that layout has an impact on the perception of square footage, I can't help but feel that some places do not look as large as others, despite quoting a higher builder square footage.

Is this a builder specific phenomenon? Or am I just really bad at guesstimating?

floorplan layout makes a big difference.

i don't know if the blame lays with the architect or interior designer in those cases.

in the past decade i have seen many floorplans and model suites, and i get more delusioned every year as things seem to get worse and worse.

there's a 850 SF 2-bedroom / 2 bathroom layout that i hold up as being the standard i judge others:
  • 12 ft x 22 ft LR/DR;
  • 8 ft x 8 ft kitchen;
  • 2 bedrooms with windows, where the smallest was 10 ft x 10 ft;
  • washrooms that don't open into LR/DR/kitchens;
  • plentiful closet space

NOW i see in the same SF or even larger:
  • long hallways;
  • minimal closet space;
  • master bedroom of 10 ft x 10ft and 2nd bedroom of 8ft x 8ft with no window;
  • washrooms that open into the kitchen/DR/LR;
  • 10 ft x 25 ft LR/DR/kitchen combos with linear kitchens

I just went up to some famous builders' websites and picked the most rectangular (square-ish) layouts to calculate and compare. Instead of adding one room by one room since these are almost a square or rec., I have calculated the s.f. by the length of the full unit's one edge times the other. The conclusion: it will be 50 to 70 s.f. less than what the builder indicated. The only part I have left out is the wall. So I assume all builders have some sort standard for the outer wall s.f.

I just went up to some famous builders' websites and picked the most rectangular (square-ish) layouts to calculate and compare. Instead of adding one room by one room since these are almost a square or rec., I have calculated the s.f. by the length of the full unit's one edge times the other. The conclusion: it will be 50 to 70 s.f. less than what the builder indicated. The only part I have left out is the wall. So I assume all builders have some sort standard for the outer wall s.f.

Its defined by Tarion..

http://www.tarion.com/HOME/New+Home+Builders/Policies+and+Guidelines/BuilderBulletins.htm

Scroll down to builder bulletin #22

It applies to Freehold Builders/Vendors (FR), Low-Rise Condo Builders/Vendors (LR) and/or High-Rise Builders/Vendors (HR).

It defines that measurments are taken to the mid point of all neighboring walls minus an areas open to below excluding stairs... Which includes windows, hallways and neighboring units..

There is a 2% allowance for variance in size based on what they sell you in any documentation purchase and sale, advertising, sales materials..

Typically measurements are done from a middle floor unit.. IE 10th floor units n a 20 story building but this must be noted by the builder...

In reality, builders can get away with what ever layouts they want because people keep buying them.. If purchasers don't demand higher quality layouts with actual usable space they we will continue being handed crap.

Units with nice, open layouts will always seem larger and have more space due to fewer walls which further reduce the actual usable SQ of their unit.. A lot of people don't realize this because they take that 800SQ FT at face value.. You could be losing over 100 of those SQ FT due to walls, obstructions and otherwise useless areas in your not careful...

Ya, thats what the 2% is referring to... I'm not sure what happens if the variance is greater then 2% but that's probably a another big bag of worms..

Also, I don't see anywhere where the builder actually specifies what wall thickness is and what the half way point actually is...

I'm sure trying to get that info out of the builder would lead to no end in grief.

Back