News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Are all Toronto hospitals like this?

Well, I've worked in health care for 15 years. I've worked ER, Oncology and Psychiatry. ER is the most messed up place you could ever step into. It is true that on holidays and nights, most ER's have only one doctor. Rn's are very hard to come by...I've worked in ER's where over 50 % of the staff are "agency" rn's, nothing wrong with their skills, but, I think it goes without saying that if the ER staff are not familiar with the ER they are working at..things will be slow.
You can't judge a hospital by it's ER, or one unit. Units are like entities unto themselves. Some units are very good at TEGH. My daughter was born at TEGH and they were excellent. In the end..it's money, staffing is the biggest issue,not skills.

You hit the nail on this one. We need more doctors. The mistake by Bob Rae and Peterson's governments in late 80's early 90's to cut back medical school numbers because we had 'too many doctors' was stupid because we had an aging population then and even more so now. Fast forward 20 years, we now don't have enough doctors. McGuinty has opened up a few more spaces in medical school but it takes at least 7 years to train a new doctor in Ontario. Thus all the extra spaces made today wont really be felt until at least 10 years from now.

We need to push governments to allow more immigrants with foreign medical degrees to practice their trade here by doing re-certifications or re-accreditation to get their degrees/medical licenses approved here and of course make more space available in medical schools as a permanent solution. You can never have enough doctors, and as our population continues to age we will need more and more doctors and medical services in the years to come.

I'm not being difficult here,but, it's not as easy as you think to certify foreign docs. Having worked and even interviewed some docs from other countries, often foreign training is very sub par to north american training and treatment.

My pissed off with healthcare story...

September 2009, my dad has a heart attack, is misdiagnosed with vertigo, sent home and we have to drag him back in after he doesn't get better. The damage that misdiagnosis caused was a lot to deal with.

My friend's mother was hit by a car, seen in the ER (Toronto General), then sent home, where she had a stroke and turned into a vegetable for the last 9 years of her life. They then had the nerve to bill him for a lot of services, at which point he threatened to sue them for everything; they never bothered him after that. Subsequently, he developed an understandable hatred for health care in Canada.

Another friend who has spent time in German and Canadian hospitals tells me that that the doctors seem to be equally skilled and competent, but German hospitals are much better organized and managed.

There are multiple issues here:

I will refer to ERs to further down.

On TEGH, the older wing of the hospital (which i have stayed in before myself), is way past its due date. This is known by everyone, including the hospital. That wing will be torn down in either 2011 or 2012. Fundraising is underway, and provincial funding approved, for a beautiful new main wing of the hospital, which should dramatically improve the physical conditions.

They are not the only older facility in need of doing over, St. Joes has been getting quite the facelift, Scarb. Gen. finally got their new ER, and HRRH will be replaced when the new mega hospital is built up Wilson/Dufferin area (I believe the target 2012 construction/2014 operational, but don't hold me to that)

That still leaves a few others, including some of the older parts of St. Mike's which are crap, but hopefully there will be new investment there too.

Relatedly, Sick Kids, has moved to a 100% private room model with an in-room bed for parents to stay overnight with scared little ones. I believe this will be the province wide standard for care for minors.

Wards aren't gone yet, but in light of risks of contagious disease I expect you will see a shift towards semi-private as the basic standard of care for adults in Ontario in new hospital construction. But it will be a generation before that is pervasive.

On ERs

This has long driven me nuts, if you see the internal schedule at many ERs it shows up to 4 doctors on M-F day shift. While there is only 1 overnights and weekends.

This is simply perverse. Since most minor ailments that bring folks to ERs can be seen in a family doctor's office, but the majority of those are not open overnights or on weekends, thusly those folks end up in an ER!

While some new staff for ERs (total number) would be helpful; a more important move is simply to staff to peak need. So the M-F day shift should get 1 doctor, and the overnight shift/weekend shift between 2-4.

This would cut average wait times by more than 1/2.

Another problem has been base-budget or 'block-servicing' hospitals. Which, in theory, is the most efficient way to fund, as its predictable, and the accounting is simple.

Under this system, a hospital is pre-funded for 'x' number of ER visits, and births and heart surgeries, they staff to that level, and schedule accordingly.

The problem of course, is that hospital administrators have no incentive under this model to make room for 1 more person to go through the door, as they receive the same funding, regardless.

McGuinty has just announced a move to funding hospitals on a service basis, meaning, see a patient, get paid.

I expect you will find them more diligent is processing times under this model.

They will also have to compete for all non-ER business. (ie each hospital will bid to do heart surgery based on what it will cost the province per case.)

This model has its own problems of course, such as rushing care, pre-mature release from hospitals, and its more complex to administer.

Not sure what the absolute answer is; but certainly in some respects, we can and should do better.

I would add that we also need to provide better alternatives to ERs in off-hours.

Paris, France has an interesting system, where they will send a family doctor to your home, 24/7 for in-home, urgent, but not EMERGENT care. I would love to see that piloted here, in a mid-size city like London, or K-W and see if that helps, I suspect it would, and its much cheaper as the Doctor doesn't need an office, he/she has basic medical equipment, and a car.

I think also requiring those family health teams to at least have some Sunday hours would be good.

I note that the East General Family Health practice (right across the road) does not open Sundays, or after 7pm.

My dad had surgery a month ago at Toronto East in Scarborough. He had been diagnosed with a very large cancerous tumor in his intestine and had to have it removed. They did an excellent job so I really have a lot of respect for the surgeon and team at that hospital. Maybe they need more staff and funding but they obviously have some talented staff that really care.

I've never had a real health emergency (other than an extended stay at St. Mike's at birth), but during hours when my family doctor isn't available I always go to Scarborough Grace...and not just because the family doc used to do shifts in the outpatient ER (or whatever it's technically called). Grace isn't falling apart (yet) and seems to never be crowded. It's nice to show up for stitches, be seen quickly, get the stitches, and be on your way home in an hour.

My friend's mother was hit by a car, seen in the ER (Toronto General), then sent home, where she had a stroke and turned into a vegetable for the last 9 years of her life. They then had the nerve to bill him for a lot of services, at which point he threatened to sue them for everything; they never bothered him after that. Subsequently, he developed an understandable hatred for health care in Canada.

I'm just curious, in your opinion, what was the medical error that was made in this case?

My dad had surgery a month ago at Toronto East in Scarborough.
To which hospital are you referring? Toronto East General is on Coxwell, in what was East York, near the old border with Toronto, just north of Danforth. A long way from Scarborough.

My only Toronto emergency room experience is with St. Mike's; my wife was there recently, and was very pleased. Took about 8-10 hours, but they ran several tests, and an MRI during the night, and the process seemed to go smooth enough. We live near Toronto East if that is any indication of what we've heard, and where we went.

As for Kitchener, perhaps Grand River (old Kitchener General) has improved ... but when I lived there, I tended to go to St. Mary's, because of all the stories about how slow the Grand River ER was.

Toronto Western Hospital is the worst hospital I'm had the misfortune to stay overnight at. The nurses in the morning and early evening shift in the Emergency Ward were rude and condescending. It's my first time overnight at a hospital and I needed to used the washroom a couple times during the 14 hour ordeal. Naturally I will want to releave myself which requires removing the sensors attached to my chest area. The nurse blurted that I don't know how to removed them properly which is by the extension cable connector -if you mentioned that at the beginning I wouldn't be doing it wrong. You have to buzz multiple times to get assistance. By contrast the late-night male nurse was actually pretty good tempered and polite in comparison.

Toronto Western Hospital is the worst hospital I'm had the misfortune to stay overnight at. ... It's my first time overnight at a hospital ...
So wouldn't it be both the worst hospital and the best hospital you've stayed overnight at?

Back