1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.5K     9 

Arcade Fire - Toronto Island

jn_12

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone else go?
It was pretty awesome and hopefully if you're a fan of their recent album (or just then in general) you were there because it was well worth it.

Last edited:
It was pretty awesome, such a great show. When the crowd was singing Rebellion when they finished gave me chills.

And what about Janelle Monae? she is pretty amazing too

It must've been loud--I could hear them on my deck which is at Bloor and Shaw. At first I thought it was maybe a party going on in the backyard, then maybe something going on in Christie Pits, then finally realized it was coming from somewhere much further away. A quick google check confirmed that it was indeed the actual band playing and not someone's over-cranked sound system. Gotta love big city moments like that. Anywho, they sounded great.

It was pretty awesome, such a great show. When the crowd was singing Rebellion when they finished gave me chills.

And what about Janelle Monae? she is pretty amazing too

I actually didn't like her. I thought she was a bit cheesy and didn't fit the bill. I also didn't get why she had two girls with her who did pretty much nothing except sway back and forth or do cheesy grade 8 dance moves or poorly throw things into the crowd. I don't know, just didn't get it I guess.

And ya, the Rebellion humming when they went off before the encore was pretty amazing. We were right in the thick of it 2nd row from the stage so it was hard to hear clearly, but I bet from a distance it sounded pretty special.

Does anyone else think that their first album was the best one? And the other ones are so-so and relying on the success of the first one?

Well, the first album was so good, it'll be hard to top it, and I'm sure they never will. The next two are also good though, I wouldn't say "relying on the success of...".

I think the entire world would say Funeral was their best album. In fact, you could make a really good argument that Funeral was the album of the decade, and perhaps even an argument that it's Canada's all-time greatest album (though the classic rock folks will disagree, but I think people always tend to favour the older over the newer, whether it's an argument about music, books, hockey players, etc. no matter how good the "newer" is).

To follow up an album like that is impossible to do, but rather than make a Funeral II they took things in a more Springsteen-esque direction, and if Neon Bible was made by any other band it would have been championed far more than it is. The Suburbs is really good though and while it's not a Funeral, there isn't anything that I've heard this year that comes close to it (and a lot of good bands released albums this year, like BSS). I mean, the only criticism I've heard of the album is that it's too long, which is exactly what Win Butler would want to hear since it fits the theme of the album so well. Considering so many bands have released critically acclaimed first albums over the last ten years only to fade away (The STrokes being the most obvious), I think the fact that the Arcade Fire haven't faded, but have only gotten stronger is a testament to how good their two other albums are.

I noticed that Arcade Fire will be the musical act on the next Saturday Night Live, on November 13th.

I think the entire world would say Funeral was their best album. In fact, you could make a really good argument that Funeral was the album of the decade, and perhaps even an argument that it's Canada's all-time greatest album (though the classic rock folks will disagree, but I think people always tend to favour the older over the newer, whether it's an argument about music, books, hockey players, etc. no matter how good the "newer" is).

To follow up an album like that is impossible to do, but rather than make a Funeral II they took things in a more Springsteen-esque direction, and if Neon Bible was made by any other band it would have been championed far more than it is. The Suburbs is really good though and while it's not a Funeral, there isn't anything that I've heard this year that comes close to it (and a lot of good bands released albums this year, like BSS). I mean, the only criticism I've heard of the album is that it's too long, which is exactly what Win Butler would want to hear since it fits the theme of the album so well. Considering so many bands have released critically acclaimed first albums over the last ten years only to fade away (The STrokes being the most obvious), I think the fact that the Arcade Fire haven't faded, but have only gotten stronger is a testament to how good their two other albums are.

Meh, I personally liked the Strokes first album more than the Arcade Fire one, but I loved both. The Arcade Fire was more intense and instantly likeable, but wore off while to me the Strokes one had more longevity. I definitely liked the second Strokes album more than the second Arcade Fire one and vice versa for the third ones with the Strokes third being the worst of the lot. I think you have to find a good balance between analysis and feeling, with feeling taking precedence.
edit: wake up was a great energizing song, listening to it again

Last edited:

Back