News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 539     0 

April 09 2007 update

Good to see Sassafrazz being repaired... I figured after the fire the land would be sold and redeveloped into something else (condo likely).

^ Too small for a condo site on its own, although it could certainly have served as the starting point for an assembly. I agree that it's good to see it being repaired; the Yorkville streetscape needs to be preserved.

Thank you for the good series of pictures.

Thanks for the comprehensive update Andrew. Quite gratifying to see some of the less concrete projects (e.g. TIFF, Hummingbird, CASA, etc) move into the construction/sales phase.

AoD

That's one hell of a good update.

I'm a bit surprised of how good the Marriott Residence Inn is looking. Certainly a step or two above the typical two or three star hotel in looks.

^

Agreed! It looks better than the rendering, that's for sure. The glass looks really nice.

Does anyone know how many buildings on Queen W. are protected? They keep tearing them down at lightning speed, I think we're loosing some good historic ones.

It is weird, the more the big guys move it, the more that strip looks like any run-of-the-mill shopping centre.

Wow!

(The weather's supposed to be good this weekend, and you are definitely inspiring a similar journey...)

I am looking forward to this weekend too. I have only been on my bike twice this year due to lousy weekends and other things, and I hope to cover some of the other projects as I get my much-needed fresh air (maybe the east side like Regent Park if I get a chance).

The two weekends after that will provide a bounty of pics for this forum, but they will not be of Toronto!

(The weather's supposed to be good this weekend, and you are definitely inspiring a similar journey...)

Time for a walk and a UT meet?

really well done...that's a lot of ground to cover. regarding the old hospital on the TIFF site, I stood there starring at those old walls the other day for a long time...I'm not sure why I found it to be so interesting, but I did. a lot of history there, I guess.

and those two developments on queen west have been stalled for a long time - does anybody know why? the smaller hotel actually has its scheduled construction ending july 07. not going to happen, obviously. roots moving in next door to its current location - much bigger for sure.

so that whole strip is getting snazed up pretty quickly. now whether that's a good thing or not...

The tonal difference in the ROM cladding is more pronounced on overcast days. Last Friday at 6 p.m. when we were in the Gardiner Museum it was sunny: the big fin-like Crystal section across the road - shown in Andrew's third ROM image - was bathed in sunlight and appeared to be roughly all the same hue.

Andrew:

I think compliments are in order for the quality of your photography (along with the quantity). Your compositional choices are interesting and engage the surrounding city fabric well.

Great update.

Back