News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

apartment changing from group to individual billing

jammer

Member Bio
Reaction score
My building has electricity included in the rent.
What are the chances when time of use billing comes into effect that my building will implement an individual meter?
I support paying for the electricity I use (I look forward to it :)).

My building has electricity included in the rent.
What are the chances when time of use billing comes into effect that my building will implement an individual meter?
I support paying for the electricity I use (I look forward to it :)).

When is time of use billing coming into effect, I didn't know anything about this. People new to my building are reporting bills up to $200, mostly due to the outdated, built-in heating and air conditioning systems that are in each suite.

That doesn't answer my question, when does time of use billing come into effect in Ontario. My understanding was that leaseholders were grandfathered into not paying for hydro prior to Smart Meters are installed.

That doesn't answer my question, when does time of use billing come into effect in Ontario. My understanding was that leaseholders were grandfathered into not paying for hydro prior to Smart Meters are installed.

It is already in effect.

"If you have a Smart Meter installed, your utility has the option of charging different rates throughout the day."

So there is no exact answer.
Your utility can do what it wants.

I don't think there is a way to pay time of use rates UNLESS you have a smart meter.

My parents outside Peterborough just got a smart meter and I know time of use is coming to them soon (they are already preparing).

I would phone your local utility or better yet, check their website.

I guess I haven't been clear. Smart Meters were installed in my building about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. The landlord began renting without hydro being included to new tenants about a year ago. We were told that as long as existing residents are bound in a lease we are grandfathered and won't have to pay hydro separately, it will continue to be included in our rent for as long as we continue to re-sign the lease each year. Does this sound correct?

I guess I haven't been clear. Smart Meters were installed in my building about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. The landlord began renting without hydro being included to new tenants about a year ago. We were told that as long as existing residents are bound in a lease we are grandfathered and won't have to pay hydro separately, it will continue to be included in our rent for as long as we continue to re-sign the lease each year. Does this sound correct?

Your landlord is bound by the lease.
If each lease on the renewal date says in writing that electricity is included then he must pay it.

If the landlord says "verbally" that electricity is included but the lease does not then I recommend seeing a lawyer.
If it is "grandfathered", I'd get the terms in writing.
I believe there are free community lawyers.

New tenants are screwed.
I would never rent an old place that I have to pay electricity.

I am going to move if my building makes me pay electricity unless they make significant improvements.
The balcony door doesn't fit right and there is a 1" gap.
The windows don't fit right and leak.
The building uses electric heat.

To the person that said tenants don't conserve electricity if they are not paying for it, some building owners don't seem to care.

Thanks very much for the information jammer. I'm in that very situation, my complex was built in '72, still has the original windows (double paned surprisingly) but has these huge built-in electric heating/AC units (the same type as found in the Plaza II apartments & Manulife apartments) - one which feeds the living/dining room & one bedroom then another which feeds the master bedroom. It's really convenient having year 'round heating & A/C but through our Tenants Association's Yahoo discussion group I'm reading horror stories of new residents who were told hydro will be around $60 - $80/month but they're getting bills in the range of $150-$200 per month for bach. & 1 bedroom units with only one heating/AC unit. It scares the hell out of me as my roommate & I also have two plasma panels, two PC's and are already paying well above market rates to live here. We really like living here and the thought of moving is just unthinkable right now so this whole thing makes me very uneasy.
I'll have to dig into this a little deeper. Many thanks again.

hmm, so all these years your landlord has been averaging $200 in hydro cost into each unit's rent? Hope he lowers the rent for your next term.

through our Tenants Association's Yahoo discussion group I'm reading horror stories of new residents who were told hydro will be around $60 - $80/month but they're getting bills in the range of $150-$200 per month for bach. & 1 bedroom units with only one heating/AC unit.

Who told the tenants, the super?
His job is to rent units.
To be fair, before time of use, maybe the electricity bills were $60-$80.

It doesn't make sense to me to pay your own heating & AC when you have no control over how efficient it is.

Who told the tenants, the super?
His job is to rent units.
To be fair, before time of use, maybe the electricity bills were $60-$80.

It doesn't make sense to me to pay your own heating & AC when you have no control over how efficient it is.

This is what the rental agents are telling potential renters, we've heard this story over & over again since new residents starting paying for their hydro last fall. I'm grandfathered so long as I re-sign the lease renewal each year and have hydro included in my rent, for now...

About Smart Meters

Last edited:

Back