News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 

Any VIVA riders out there?

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
My area, Markham-Highway 7, is FINALLY getting VIVA service next month (Purple Line) and I was wondering if there were any current riders here? I'd love to hear your experiences.

My current commute involves walking to the Markham GO station, GO->Union, and then Union->College. I'm hoping to try out both Purple->Green->Don Mills->College (I wish they could have expanded Green out my way, but it looks like that will be next year at the earliest), and Purple->Blue/Pink->Finch->College).

I know it will take longer than GO, but it will save me 10 minutes of walking (my walk to GO is 15+ minutes), it will be more frequent, and it will be $86 less a month.

Any advice from current riders would be appreciated!

Sorry, I can't offer any advice.

But does this mean that YRT has worked out the issues that prevented VIVA from going to Cornell in the first place? What's changed? Any any ideas why Green won't be going all the way to the end of the line?

everyday rider of VIVA here, but unfortuently i use the blue line.

i suggest u get a bit familiar with the rideQuest Call to find out info about the next bus that comes to ur stop.

Your phone is more powerful than you think. It can now connect you with 24-hour-a-day, seven-day-a-week YRT/Viva information. rideQuest Call, our new automated phone system, is available wherever you are, whenever you need it.

Here's how it works:

Call 1 866 MOVE YRT
Punch in your four-digit bus stop number (posted at your bus stop) to get the next departure times for today, later today or a future day.
If you don't know your bus stop number, select a route and time. You'll be connected to the route, direction, time and date you've selected.
If you need to know more, listen to information about fares, detours, delays and news.
With rideQuest Call, you never need to talk to an operator. It's schedule and information freedom by phone.
Try it for yourself.

Thanks, smuncky, I didn't know about that service.

But does this mean that YRT has worked out the issues that prevented VIVA from going to Cornell in the first place? What's changed? Any any ideas why Green won't be going all the way to the end of the line?

I'm very confused by how they are rolling this out, but it seems that VIVA Purple is only going as far as Markham-Stouffville Hospital starting January 27, and the Cornell terminal has funding and will be built this year. Presumably, Cornell will have proper service by the end of the year or early next year.

They might be waiting for the terminal before running Green service, but you'd think that they would also run it out as far as the hospital along with the Purple line. McCowan has always seemed like an arbitrary street on which to end the routes.

The terminal will now be located near Highway 7 and Donald Cousens Parkway (Markham Bypass):

http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/nxe...nbrwb22hx7hvfl5s3cibt2d/Jan+17+Viva+att+3.pdf

I just found this:

A staged work plan and schedule for the delivery of the Cornell Terminal south of Highway 7 has been developed by the owner’s engineer (OE). Independent cost estimates to undertake the stage one site plan work by the OE and YC2002 were received and evaluated in December and are the subject of a separate presentation on this agenda. Construction on the terminal is scheduled to begin in 2008 with its opening planned for late 2009.

The location makes sense as the town is allowing higher-density residential on this stretch of Highway 7 and there will be a nearby office park:

http://www.markham.ca/NR/rdonlyres/95EEA658-2E34-4750-BDA0-757F057DC40F/0/cornel_openhouse07.pdf

Does anyone know whether VIVA will be extended into Brampton? Seeing that York and Peel have integrated transfer points, it makes sense to have a continuous express service across the Hwy 7 corridor.

From Martin Grove, I foresee stops at Hwy 27, Gore Rd, McVean, Goreway, Airport Rd, Chrysler Dr, Torbram, Knightsbridge, Bramalea City Centre, Dixie/Clark, West Dr, Rutherford, Kennedy, Centre, Brampton Terminal, McMurchy, MacLaughlin, Chinguacousy.

Does anyone know whether VIVA will be extended into Brampton? Seeing that York and Peel have integrated transfer points, it makes sense to have a continuous express service across the Hwy 7 corridor.

From Martin Grove, I foresee stops at Hwy 27, Gore Rd, McVean, Goreway, Airport Rd, Chrysler Dr, Torbram, Knightsbridge, Bramalea City Centre, Dixie/Clark, West Dr, Rutherford, Kennedy, Centre, Brampton Terminal, McMurchy, MacLaughlin, Chinguacousy.

I think you'll see Acceleride either meeting VIVA Orange somewhere near highway 427 or Acceleride overlapping VIVA to York U and on to Downsview. I doubt you'll see VIVA being extended into brampton.

My personal preference is to have Acceleride replace VIVA Orange, but it really doesn't matter who replaces who as long as you don't have to transfer in the middle of nowhere.

Brampton planners have told me that they want a seamless service into York U and/or Downsview subway once Acceleride is up and running in two years. One possibility is taking over Viva Orange (where it might finally get something it's been missing - passengers) or joint-running that route like the 77.

They don't see the point in kicking passengers off at Highway 50 or Highway 27 to transfer.

Wow. Transit planners with common sense.

Brampton planners have told me that they want a seamless service into York U and/or Downsview subway once Acceleride is up and running in two years. One possibility is taking over Viva Orange (where it might finally get something it's been missing - passengers) or joint-running that route like the 77.

They don't see the point in kicking passengers off at Highway 50 or Highway 27 to transfer.

Wow. Transit planners with common sense.

That's refreshing.

... and if all goes to plan, you'll be able to add one more transit planner with common sense in a few years.

What would be awesome would be for Brampton to turn over Acceleride to VIVA and see it as an extension of the current P3. That would be common sense and start a new world of cooperation.

What would be awesome would be for Brampton to turn over Acceleride to VIVA and see it as an extension of the current P3. That would be common sense and start a new world of cooperation.

LOL!

If you went to Brampton, and suggested using another P3 for its infrastructure, you'd be tarred and feathered on the 407, and then left to your own devices in the waiting room of Brampton Civic Hospital.

Brampton already has its plans set. Also, Brampton Transit is owned by the city and ATU unionized, while York Region historically uses private operators on contract to run its transit - this was the Viva arrangement, as well as the local buses that used to be run by the local municipalities.

LOL!

If you went to Brampton, and suggested using another P3 for its infrastructure, you'd be tarred and feathered on the 407, and then left to your own devices in the waiting room of Brampton Civic Hospital.

Brampton already has its plans set. Also, Brampton Transit is owned by the city and ATU unionized, while York Region historically uses private operators on contract to run its transit - this was the Viva arrangement, as well as the local buses that used to be run by the local municipalities.

The have always been rumours that York Region will be taking transit in-house once the contracts are up, and that the only reason why VIVA is a P3 is because York Region wanted it up and running much quicker than their own staff could have accomplished.

But that's all hearsay.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought construction of the hospital was P3, but day to day operated under the Ministry of Health. The issues there are more related to operations and patient services not the construction. :confused:

Back