News   May 17, 2024
 686     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 6.4K     7 

Any good cheap Indian restaurants?

V

vincebjs

Hey everyone,

Living at U of T, there is an abundance of Chinese food in Chinatown within a student's tight budget. But some of us also like Indian food. Do any of you know of any good Indian places in central Toronto that are also cheap? i.e. places where you can get a full meal for under $8?

- Vince

indian

MMM. i love Idian food. For about 2 buck more you can get all you can eat.

Little India is great!

255 Queen West. Near Queen and University.

You can find all you can eat Indian places for quite a bit less than $8 all around the city. Of course, the quality varies and it depends when you want to eat too (most of the cheaper all you can eat deals are during lunch time).

Care to give a few examples?

The cheapest place I've seen around campus is Tandoori Flavour, and it makes it under $8 (with drink) because of the 15% student discount.

If you don't mind hopping on a streetcar and heading east to India Bazzar (Gerrard St. East between Greenwood and Coxwell) there are tons of cheap places around there.

India Bazaar is really far!

Are there any good and cheap places within an hour's walk of the U of T campus that you would recommend?

For something a bit out of the ordinary try Gandhi Roti, on Queen near Bathurst. A delicious Indianized [re-?]appropriation of the West Indian roti. There are definitely eight dollar options, though for the enormously popular butter chicken roti you'll pay a bit more. I highly recommend the Malai Kofta roti also.

Your best lunchtime option near campus is probably Nataraj in the Annex (Bloor and Brunswick). Their buffet is around $10, and very tasty, though not huge.

The truth is that there are many very good Indian restaurants in the downtown core, but most of them are a bit pricier than 8 bucks for a full meal. If you want a slightly pricier option check out Babur, on Queen just west of City TV. Their lunch buffet is around $14, I think, but worth it and more.

Little India is rather hit and miss. Siddartha is a relative newcomer and stands above the rest in terms of service, quality, and hygiene. I think they've just opened another branch somewhere on King West.

I've told my wife a million times that a smart Indian entrepreneur could make a killing opening a hip Green Mango-style lunch counter near the University. It's probably just a matter of time.

I saw a bit on the news last night about a new little chain called Rasoee. They have a location at 140 Spadina at Richmond. I have not tried the food, but it is definitely over-the-counter fast food style and prices.

Rashnaa at Parliment and Wellsley has good, cheap S. Indian food.

I tried Rasoee, it's pretty decent for the price. Though they're very low on the spices, probably in order to keep prices down and attract people who wouldn't ordinarily go to Indian restaurants.

I hope to check out Rashnaa. From the website, the prices are borderline expensive (relative to a student), but I'm eager to find some good Masala Dosai in town.

Any other suggestions for good cheap Indian restaurants?

Back