News   Mar 28, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 888     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     0 

Any cable cutters here?

Good stuff! I haven't had cable TV in over 15 years. In the beginning it was more difficult due to slower Internet speeds and fewer online options but these days, with high speed Internet, you can almost get everything you need without cable. The one sole area I think cable still plays a prominent role is for watching live sports.

We cut the cable a few years ago and are using a combination of internal antenna (C2V from Antennas Direct pulling over 20 HD OTA channels) supplemented with a WDTV Live streaming device for Netflix and other content sources.

The GR8 box gives me that gut-feeling that says "scam", but I am glad it is working for you. My next project will be a mini-HTPC that will use XMBC (now Kodi) as a front end, to replace the WD which is now a few years old and starting to show the signs.

Since Gr8TV is playing CAM movies, etc., this indicates that they are showing pirated stuff, streaming via torrents. Why not just download what you want and bypass the $299 box? I cut cable about three years ago@ $80/month. Paid for a house full of big screen TV's. LOL I just increased my bandwidth with Bell for an extra $15/month.

Since Gr8TV is playing CAM movies, etc., this indicates that they are showing pirated stuff, streaming via torrents. Why not just download what you want and bypass the $299 box?
Because downloading copyrighted material is illegal, viewing online is not. A thin difference I admit from a moral POV, but I prefer to follow the law of the land.

I use an antenna to watch most of my TV. Since I live downtown and on the 22nd floor of a building, I get around 30 HDTV channels including all available channels from Buffalo. Haven't had cable in years.

I use an antenna to watch most of my TV. Since I live downtown and on the 22nd floor of a building, I get around 30 HDTV channels including all available channels from Buffalo. Haven't had cable in years.

Do you mind if I ask which antenna you are using? I also find it ironic, and perhaps typical, that we almost always have a solid lock on Buffalo stations but sometimes have issues getting local CTV (9-1) or English CBC (5-1). Our living room antenna is placed perfectly to get all available channels, but our bedroom table top will sacrifice some channels if we adjust to bring in CTV.

Do you mind if I ask which antenna you are using? I also find it ironic, and perhaps typical, that we almost always have a solid lock on Buffalo stations but sometimes have issues getting local CTV (9-1) or English CBC (5-1). Our living room antenna is placed perfectly to get all available channels, but our bedroom table top will sacrifice some channels if we adjust to bring in CTV.

I've been experimenting with various antennas since HD starting broadcasting over the air. Believe it or not, the best reception I've had has been home made ones. You'd be surprised how good a few cut up coat hangers are!
However, if you're looking for something indoors it's probably not an option. One of the first I purchased was a Silver Sensor. Reception was pretty good, but the quality of the build was low. I don't believe they make them anymore.
Until recently I've been using a fairly large homemade one, but it was so damn ugly in the living room and I looked for an alternative. I ended up picking up the Mohu Leaf 50 after reading some reviews. Initially the reception was horrible! I could only get one channel. It comes with a booster which I removed and then it worked great. I also changed the included cable (RG59) to a better RG6 cable. I get almost as many channels as I did with my large home made one and it looks much nicer hanging on my balcony window. I believe they sell it without the booster, I'd get that if I were buying again.

I'd be really sold on cable cutting.

But how do you get programming from Sportsnet, TSN, or channels like Space? Well, I suppose you could Torrent anything on Space - but legal options?

I cut the cord a few years ago and never looked back. We have a PC running Windows Media Center that functions as a PVR for over the air (OTA) shows, and can also be used for other streaming sites or download sources. Our smart TV has Netflix plus a million other apps that I never use.

The quality of OTA broadcasts and Netflix is actually superior to cable, as the latter is typically compressed to preserve bandwidth.

Canadian sports is a real weak spot (not that I care) now that Bell/Rogers are moving programming to cable channels, but I understand that many leagues (like the NHL) have paid streaming packages.

I believe I have an Antennas Direct DB4E, which was professionally installed on the roof of our house.

Because downloading copyrighted material is illegal, viewing online is not. A thin difference I admit from a moral POV, but I prefer to follow the law of the land.

Streaming from an online source means it's caching on the unit, be it a box or a PC, which means it's downloading - same thing, just different method. It's like viewing a JPG online - if you can see it on your screen, that means there's a temp version of it already stored on your computer in the cache file.

Back