Guelph Anthem at the Metalworks | 48.9m | 14s | Fusion Homes | Kirkor Architects

emphurent

Member Bio
Reaction score
Guelph has yet to get threads (other than the library+housing development), and since I spend a good portion of my time in Guelph I thought I'd document a few of the currently progressing developments around Downtown.

The developments around Guelph are much more modest in height compared to surrounding cities, but with all the historical architecture, I see it as a unique feature rather than a detriment.

As for this development, this thread is for the fourth phase in the overall 'Metalworks' redevelopment in Guelph, with the final 5th phase coming after completion of this one. Renders for this phase are below. Since there aren't any threads for the previous phases I thought I'd highlight them here.

Some commentary on the previous phases so far:

The first three phases feature similar architecture, with townhouses lining the front and back (more on that). This development also includes the retention of a historic building that was turned into a brewery and event space. (Photos from Streetview)

1651383824120.png
1651384347964.png

The back also features some nice open space along the river, also lined with townhomes. I found it to be a good quiet space (worthy enough for a photo), and a nice surprise since it's currently not easy to find with the unfinished lot blocking the way. Photo from yesterday evening.

PXL_20220430_004944083.jpg

Some renders of the 4th phase. The architecture on each phase seems to get worse. But the addition of retail and open space is welcome. (Source)

1651379681325.png

The back also isn't pretty, even in the sunset glow... but with the completion of this phase will connect the open space to the road properly (and the continuation of the trail) through a new POPS plaza. One of my current gripes with the block (other than the amount of cars) is the lack of retail so far, as the brewery doesn't count for much. (Source)

1651379602201.png

The site as seen from the street. This area is surprisingly cozy.

1651379662255.png

Guelph has yet to get threads (other than the library+housing development), and since I spend a good portion of my time in Guelph I thought I'd document a few of the currently progressing developments around Downtown.

The developments around Guelph are much more modest in height compared to surrounding cities, but with all the historical architecture, I see it as a unique feature rather than a detriment.

As for this development, this thread is for the fourth phase in the overall 'Metalworks' redevelopment in Guelph, with the final 5th phase coming after completion of this one. Renders for this phase are below. Since there aren't any threads for the previous phases I thought I'd highlight them here.

Some commentary on the previous phases so far:

The first three phases feature similar architecture, with townhouses lining the front and back (more on that). This development also includes the retention of a historic building that was turned into a brewery and event space. (Photos from Streetview)

View attachment 397056View attachment 397058

The back also features some nice open space along the river, also lined with townhomes. I found it to be a good quiet space (worthy enough for a photo), and a nice surprise since it's currently not easy to find with the unfinished lot blocking the way. Photo from yesterday evening.

View attachment 397050

Some renders of the 4th phase. The architecture on each phase seems to get worse. But the addition of retail and open space is welcome. (Source)

View attachment 397049

The back also isn't pretty, even in the sunset glow... but with the completion of this phase will connect the open space to the road properly (and the continuation of the trail) through a new POPS plaza. One of my current gripes with the block (other than the amount of cars) is the lack of retail so far, as the brewery doesn't count for much. (Source)

View attachment 397047

The site as seen from the street. This area is surprisingly cozy.

View attachment 397048

In the foreground, I just love the extensive use of Stone in Guelph, not only in the older buildings, but in the public realm as well!

This development is a 14 storey mixed use building with ground floor commercial space and 193 condominium apartment units. It was first approved in 2014 as phase 4 of a 6 phase development on 5 Arthur Street, also known as Metalworks. Phases 1-3 have been completed. The plan for phase 4 was amended in 2022 to incorporate a property across the street at 92 Arthur Street South as a surface lot. Similar to prior phases, a riverside trail extension is included in the site plan. The developer is marketing this building as Anthem.

Photos (Apr 23) looking N from Neeve St with buildings 1-3 visible
1682299524497.jpeg

1682299569970.jpeg

Looking W from Arthur St S
1682299657526.jpeg

2 views of the future surface lot from Arthur St S and Duke St
1682299734139.jpeg

1682299752774.jpeg

Rendering from the 2022 amendment
1682300083745.jpeg

Back