306     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 328     0 

Another police car crash.

Credit to CDL for this one:

Judge Rules That Police Can Bar High I.Q. Scores

The New York Times

Published: September 9, 1999

A Federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit by a man who was barred from the New London police force because he scored too high on an intelligence test.

In a ruling made public on Tuesday, Judge Peter C. Dorsey of the United States District Court in New Haven agreed that the plaintiff, Robert Jordan, was denied an opportunity to interview for a police job because of his high test scores. But he said that that did not mean Mr. Jordan was a victim of discrimination.

Judge Dorsey ruled that Mr. Jordan was not denied equal protection because the city of New London applied the same standard to everyone: anyone who scored too high was rejected.

Mr. Jordan, 48, who has a bachelor's degree in literature and is an officer with the State Department of Corrections, said he was considering an appeal. ''I was eliminated on the basis of my intellectual makeup,'' he said. ''It's the same as discrimination on the basis of gender or religion or race.''

Last edited:
Police officers have jobs that can be stressful, where they must think and act quickly (and more or less correctly) under pressure. If that cop responded to a stressful situation by parking on railroad tracks, perhaps the job is not the best fit for him.

I always say "you never see ONE police officer. You see four, or twelve, or twenty".

A couple summers ago as I was waiting for the Dundas streetcar at Church around 1am, I counted over twenty police officers milling about and chatting with one another across the street. Any incident that may have occurred was clearly long over. They seemed to be in good spirits as they stood around and socialized.

This seems to be the rule, not the exception.

I was just watching cp 24 i was shocked to find out the police don't use snow tires on their cruisers they use all season tires. snow tires have been proven to be safer than all season and are mandatory in Quebec.

Exception of taking the test for compassionate reasons.

They're idiots...why can't you see that?

I would have stayed as a witness but my cousin is a cop in 55 so it might not be a good idea.

So, you broke the law by leaving the crime scene...because your cousin is a cop? This speaks volumes about the police...and their supporters.

Sure Digi.
I broke the law along with the twenty or so other passengers waiting at the stop.
There are times to be the witness and assist the officers, other times it's prudent to go about your day. The cops had insurance, as I'm sure the pick up driver did. I wasn't involved in the accident and have no knowledge that the police already don't.

Sure I broke the law, I do it all the time. Jay walking, public nudity, a little random murders never hurt anyone. Grow up.

This time its the OPP putting the public in danger.

OPP car seized, officer charged for 50 over

Feb 10, 2009 04:05 PM
Alex Cooper
Staff Reporter

An OPP officer has been charged under the province's street racing laws for speeding in her police vehicle while on duty.

The officer, driving an unmarked car, was stopped by Brant County OPP on Highway 403 going 165 km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone.

"The subsequent investigation found that the officer was not within the lawful execution of her duties at the time," police said.

Det. Const. Heidi Fischer was charged with driving 50 km/hr or more over the posted speed limit.

Her licence was suspended for seven days and the OPP unmarked vehicle was impounded for seven days.

Fischer is a four-year member of the OPP posted to the Provincial Operations Intelligence Bureau at General Headquarters in Orillia.

She will appear in Provincial Offences Court in Brantford on March 24.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/585301

I was just watching cp 24 i was shocked to find out the police don't use snow tires on their cruisers they use all season tires. snow tires have been proven to be safer than all season and are mandatory in Quebec.

Snow tires became mandatory in Quebec only this year. It actually created a shortage in the country.

Maybe the relatively milder winters in Toronto go a long way to perpetuating a belief that all-seasons are just as good as winter tires. Then again, we don't experience weeks of snow-covered roads, either. Get out of the city and it can be a different story.

the OPP unmarked vehicle was impounded for seven days

why? that's retarded! why take away a vehicle from public service??? why enforce a law the same way toward the police like it is for the public? if we follow that logic, wouldn't cops get arrested for carrying guns?

I also know police officers and to be completely honest this does not surprise me one bit. Off duty cops especially (in my experience) are the most arrogant, self righteous people I know. Put the uniform on them and strap on the duty belt and they become caricatures of themselves.

True enough. And as a military person, I don't get their cock attitude. Our corporals get paid less and get shot at far more often and are often humble to a fault. Yet, most cops I know absolutely abuse the privilege of the badge. They often don't pay for meals (or get discounts), get into bars and clubs for free, etc. I would never flash my mil ID to get a perk unless it was advertised as such. Yet, cops do it all the time. Sad....

If these accidents happened to military vehicle there would be serious repercussions. For one, just cause an officer get's shot is not an excuse to leave your vehicle on the tracks unless you are using it as a defensive position. If a 20 year old private can be avoid totaling his G wagon while in contact with the enemy in Afghanistan, there's no reason Toronto Police officers can't keep their vehicle off the tracks while rescuing a buddy.

Last edited:
^^^

It might shock you to know that they also get free access to public transit :eek:

But I know a lot of officers, both personally and professionally, and it is extremely rare to see the kind of negative behaviors mentioned, but as with any group of people there are bad apples in every bunch, and I have the displeasure of meeting one or two of the bad ones.

Yup...never the cop's fault.

I also know police officers and to be completely honest this does not surprise me one bit. Off duty cops especially (in my experience) are the most arrogant, self righteous people I know. Put the uniform on them and strap on the duty belt and they become caricatures of themselves.

I was virtually run off the road by a cop a few weeks ago. I was making a left turn from the outside of a 2-lane advanced green and I was next to a cop. He took the turn hard and wide and in order to avoid him I swerved and drilled a snow bank...wrecked my bumper and alignment. We were actually going to the same place and when I noticed them inside I confronted the driver. He smirked and told me to "chill out buddy, nobody got hurt" and they both had a laugh. I can't tell you how many times I've watched these idiots pound beers all night and get in their Grand Prixs or Monte Carlos and drive home. They need to understand the fact that they are not going to an 'officer down' call every time they start a car.

HOW TO DEAL WITH POLICE MISCONDUCT?

Police misconduct seems to be a problem everywhere.

What are some tips or things that we can/should do to protect ourselves from Police Misconduct?? Any suggestions??

i hear police officers are generaly "afraid" of being video taped/recorded.

However, my brother in-law when crossing US/Canada border was filming police for being very aggressive and impolite for no reason but was threatened by the guards to delete or he would be arrested.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Back