News   Jul 23, 2024
 120     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 255     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 876     1 

Annex Loft Houses (483 Dupont St, Dewbourne Dev, 4s, Paradigm Architecture) COMPLETE

I agree with AlexBozikovic. The limestone section is like a pimple on the building: out of place and awkward. All the issues that Alex mentions seem more like sloppiness in execution that could have been avoided. With time, they'll only become more noticeable. Dupont will change and evolve away from its industrial past with this kind of construction happening, though it may not be that attractive if the details aren't right.

Last edited:
Dreamer, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Junctionist is right on. It's not about compromises; it's about thoughtful design choices. None of those things cost much money. What would it cost to use cedar instead of pressure-treated for those screens? $20k? And to hide those exhaust pipes, or clad those stubs of the balcony railings?

On the positive side, I think those "Annex Terraces" at Spadina and Bernard actually look really good; the facade isn't amazing, but at street level the hardscaping (with cedar slats and raw steel) is really handsome and it has a huge impact.

I'm being picky for a reason, too. We're going to see more high-end projects on this scale and I think we should be holding them to a high standard.

The same architect/developer team, Audax and Curated properties, is doing Edition Richmond. It looks great in the renders, but then, this looked better too..
Picture 4.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 395
I agree with many of the people here. the execution doesn't look that good compared to what it could have been. I checked out the website for fun and the renderings are so much better than the actual building. the devil is really in the details in these types of projects.

I love modern low rise buildings, I think we definitely need more of them and this isn't bad, but it doesn't have the WOW factor it could have.

Back