2.2K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 809     0 

An article about poor TTC accessibility also bad journalism

S

spmarshall

A topic as important as accessibility on the TTC has become a really terrible piece, with poor facts and a generally whiny tone. Free fares? Should people living on routes with poor service (98 Senlac, come on down!) also pay lower fares because they have less ability to use the system? Should people who have to stand pay the same fare as someone sitting down? You start opening a can of worms.

I have sympathy, but there is progress, and this is one shitty article that IMO, does nothing to help.

NOW

What's fare is fair
Should disabled riders pay full freight for TTC that's not accessible to wheelchair users?
By ELI SHUPAK

The TTC's trying to be more acces sible, retrofitting one or two subway stations each year at a cost of up to $5 million each in the hope of having a completely accessible system by 2020.

But to the thousands of disabled people who depend on public transit – and constantly find themselves taking long detours just to find a station with an elevator – the commission is moving nowhere near fast enough.

The commission acquired 800 new buses this year, and its accessibility plan calls for every route in Toronto to be wheelchair-accessible by 2010.

Toronto's streetcars, though, remain completely unable to accommodate those in wheelchairs, while two-thirds of the system's subway stations and half the bus routes are simply out of reach to people in mobility devices.

So why should disabled people using public transit have to pay the same fares as able-bodied passengers?

Erin Farley, a fourth-year York U anthropology student, believes it's discriminatory to ask the disabled to pay as much as able-bodied riders of the system.

A friend and caregiver of wheelchair-bound Josh Ruiter, Farley recently submitted a petition signed by close to 450 people to the TTC asking for fares to be suspended for those in wheelchairs and their companions until the system is fully accessible.

Farley reasons that "they're paying the full price but not getting full service simply because they're in a wheelchair. That's discrimination."

She notes that the TTC does sometimes make financial adjustments for those on low incomes, like students.

Her petition, though, has received a cool response from TTC officialdom, including the chair of the commission, Howard Moscoe, who argues that the system is one of the most accessible in North America.

When you factor in the cost of Wheel-Trans, the specialized service for the disabled, Moscoe says that "to transport the disabled costs us significantly more than it costs us to transport other passengers."

While it saves the system considerable expense when the disabled opt to take an accessible bus over Wheel-Trans (the cost per person to the TTC for a round trip on Wheel-Trans is $50 compared to $2.84 on conventional transit), Moscoe doesn't see why people with disabilities should be offered any kind of fare break to do so.

Louise Crawford, a TTC customer service supervisor, raises the issue of budget constraints.

"The TTC is operating under very tight funding guidelines, [and] new concession fares could only be considered if we were to raise the fares of adult riders, or if a special subsidy were provided to offset the inherent revenue loss," she says.

Getting around town in a wheelchair can be a challenge at the best of times.

When Farley and Ruiter want to go downtown using the Yonge subway line, their only options are to get off at Bloor, Dundas or Queen, the only stations on the line with elevators.

(Did they forget about Union, or St. George, or Queen's Park, or the about-to-open elevator at Osgoode?)

Farley says she and Ruiter like to be spontaneous but find that difficult using Wheel-Trans, which requires riders to book 24 hours ahead of time.

They recently wanted to go to the Beach but could only get as far as the Queen Street subway station because Ruiter can't get on a streetcar.

(Hmm. There's also the 64 Main, that goes right to the Beaches, from Main St, which has elevators)

I can appreciate their frustration. To go from my apartment at Bathurst and Lawrence to Union Station I must travel by bus to the Bathurst station on the Bloor line to reach an accessible subway, because Lawrence West doesn't have an elevator.

Farley says getting on accessible buses with Ruiter can also present its fair share of obstacles. She recalls trying to get home from an outing a couple of winters back when the lift didn't work on the vehicle they were trying to board. The next bus that came along was not accessible. the end

That was a few years ago. Things have changed.

Re: An article about poor TTC accessibility also bad journal

You didn't seriously expect legitimate "journalism" from NOW, did you?

There not doubt in my mind that the TTC should be fully accessible, but we do have over 40 years of design and construction to modify without any other level of government chipping in to help pay for it. Shouldn't the Province pay for some of it since they are the government that didn't require accessible stations when they were constructed and now do?

The question in my mind is, once the entire system is fully accessible, should disabled passengers pay a full fare?

Wow. If the same logic in this article is applied to other aspect of life, then it might be really fun to be a disabled person. You can eat for free at a restaurant that is not accessible, and you can get free stuff at a multistorey store that does not have elevators or ramps.

Maybe some foreign tourists and new immigrants should be able to ride for free too, because all the signage and announcements on the TTC are in a language they don't understand.

But if you're so fat that you take two seats, you should pay double fare :D

Or since a wheelchair or mobility aids take up additional space, one should charge them extra.

AoD

Or if I'm forced to wait for the next bus because the low floor, low capacity bus is packed with people and SUV strollers (I hate how buses have suddenly been filled with strollers), the TTC should be paying me.

Is the St. George elevator finally working again? I used to use that station every day and the elevator was broken for months.

I have never once seen a person in a wheelchair on the TTC. Makes all this money spent on elevators and horrible busses seem like its been wasted.

If Toronto's cabs were mandated to have a % of accessible cars (like in the UK, IIRC), then we could simply buy a bulk contract with the cab firms, and have them shuttle folks. It'll be cheaper than this.

I have never once seen a person in a wheelchair on the TTC.

I think some routes get more passengers on wheelchairs than others. I've seen wheelchairs on the Don Mills bus routes on two occasions, more than any other route I've been on.

Don't forget that low-floor buses and elevators benefit other people too, like cyclists and parents with baby strollers.

So why should disabled people using public transit have to pay the same fares as able-bodied passengers?

Actually, the cost of the elevators, special wheelchair areas in the subway cars, and other disabled services are paid for out of the fares of able-bodied people who make up 99% of the ridership. If the question above is valid, then the question of why those who are not disabled need to pay for services they don't require would also be equally valid. Of course that question would be considered ignorant and few able-bodied people would seriously ask it.

The fact is that installing and maintaining elevators in every single subway station would be horrendously expensive. As we know, the TTC is not exactly rolling in money as it is. I think the TTC has a duty to make the system as usable as possible by those with disabilities, within the limitations of their budgets. I think they have tried to do so, though there is room for improvement, just as there is with the regular services.

But the bottom line is that it will never be as easy and convenient for the disabled people to get around as it is for able-bodied people. Blaming an already underfunded and struggling transit system for this (admittedly very unfair) reality is not very helpful.

Is the St. George elevator finally working again? I used to use that station every day and the elevator was broken for months.
I saw a woman get on it a few weeks ago.

"I have never once seen a person in a wheelchair on the TTC."

I have! Twice! And three people in wheelchairs on buses! One woman rolled out at College station and asked someone to hold the back of her chair steady while she went up the escalator. People then readily helped her get up the stairs from there on.

Continuously "closed for maintenance" escalators are a much bigger problem for many more people.

I've seen wheelchairs on transit, or the evidence of same (i.e. raised subway seats that haven't been lowered--once spotted, I usually lower them out of courtesy). Granted, it's with the frequency of fare cops on the Queen line, but...

Back