News   Apr 24, 2024
 947     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 618     0 

Amazon Second HQ

Trump is a short term thorn, I can't believe that Amazon is so short-sighted to make such a huge, long-term decision just because of Trump.

The decision could very well boil down to the "lifestyle factor" i.e. which city has the best nightlife/entertainment scene.

after last weekend:
JUSTIN, Give Amazon whatever they want, just to piss off Trump! :)

No way it’s coming to Toronto. Bezos would get crucified by the US media and Trump administration. But... it would be so cool if it did end up here. F#!#&$ You Trump!

No way it’s coming to Toronto. Bezos would get crucified by the US media and Trump administration. But... it would be so cool if it did end up here. F#!#&$ You Trump!

I don't think he cares about that at all. The media that'd be crucifying him is not the media he's concerned with.

If anything, it would have plenty in the media and across the country pointing the finger at Trump (at least partially).

Corporate Welfare? Ontario never offered them any subsidies or tax breaks. So what corporate welfare are we talking about?

This should be easy: just reread my entire post you qouted, including the quote from DKB I used.

Ok, now, I read "JUSTIN, give Amazon whatever they want..." as meaning "bribe them" and since Amazon is a corporation (or whatever legal structure) giving them whatever they want/bribing them would amount to corporate welfare as I assume it would include government policy and regulation specifically targeted to Amazon to incentivise them to set up shop here.

That's the corporate welfare I said no thanks to.

Not sure if this is new or not- but I wouldn't bet surprised if they were twisting the arms of all short-listed cities/regions.
Amazon pushes for government contracts worth billions after shortlisting Toronto for HQ2

Last January, Amazon announced 20 cities as finalists for its soon-to-be-built US$5-billion headquarters, which it says will house up to 50,000 employees. Unlike many finalists, Toronto did not offer Amazon any tax incentives in its initial bid.

Amazon has revealed almost no public information about what it’s asking Toronto—or any of the 19 American cities that are also finalists—to offer.

But, an analysis of lobbying records by The Logic shows that after Toronto was shortlisted, Amazon dramatically ramped up its efforts to get government contracts for its cloud services business from the federal government, Alberta and British Columbia and the City of Toronto.
https://thelogic.co/news/big-tech/a...-billions-after-shortlisting-toronto-for-hq2/

Back