News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Air Canada Centre's searchlights

jmacmillan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder how forum members feel about the incessant and intrusive light beams splattering across the night sky each night. I might feel differently if they were drawing attention to some special event, like the Luminato Festival. But they're not. To me, they are as welcome as a neighbour's loud stereo.

Although, aren't they only turned-on during events at The ACC?

Correct.

They are only on when the Leafs or Rap's play at home. Im not sure if they are on for concerts, but I wouldnt have a problem with them.

Whats wrong with the lights anyways? They look cool.

I think they add some excitement to the skyline by night. Searchlights are also commonly used seasonally for events at The Docks and CNE / TFC.
If they were to interfere to a great degree by shining into people's homes (as I have seen when used at Dundas Square, Pride weekend etc.) then I might be sympathetic.

In that area, I don't find them intrusive at all. As dt_toronto_geek said, as long as they're not shining into people's homes, I don't see a problem with having them on to call attention to games/events at the ACC.

In fact, I love the search lights at the CNE coming from the National Trade Centre. The CN Tower should install one on the tip of the tower pointing straight up... that would be cool!

The CN Tower should install one on the tip of the tower pointing straight up... that would be cool!

The very tip? I don't know if that would be possible, given how often the CN Tower is struck by lightning. You would need some kind of metal lightning conductor surrounding the searchlight, which would at least partly block the light beam.

You would need some kind of metal lightning conductor surrounding the searchlight,

..such as the transmission antennas that currently occupy that space?

i loved the search lights that were on during LuminaTO. i thought it really gave the area something special.

the searchlights at the ACC can't be on for more than 3 or 4 hours whenever the raps or leafs are playing, so i can't see them being that big of a problem.

The very tip? I don't know if that would be possible, given how often the CN Tower is struck by lightning. You would need some kind of metal lightning conductor surrounding the searchlight, which would at least partly block the light beam.

Paris does it with the Eiffel Tower. Their light actually sweeps across the city and lights up the major tourist attractions so that way while you're in the tower you can see where Notre Dame, Scare Coeur and the Pantheon are.
1401713510_74e68214a3.jpg

96941501_cd6b9a3454.jpg

Mind you, it's much easier to pull that off in Paris than it would be in Toronto due to the uniform building heights there. Here, too many buildings would get in the way, and you'd end up shining spotlights into people's condos.

Intrusive? To airplanes maybe. I don't see how these lights can be deemed intrusive or hell, even overly noticeable in the slightest.

Let me guess, you also sit on your porch and yell things like 'get a haircut you hippie' at passers-by.

I really like those searchlights. A little 'light' drama and motion in the sky never harmed anyone.

Maybe they are a signal for help. The Leafs and Raptors are calling out to a Dark Knight for assistance.

And even worse.... the moon. We need to blow that thing up.

For years man has yearned to destroy the sun. I will do the next best thing and block it out!

Back