News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 943     1 

Affordability

Don't buy a condo, they're a waste of money. Don't listen to anyone who tells you different.

Rent a room for $500 a month and save until you can buy a crap home. Once you buy, rent out a room or two in your new crap home or the basement.

Condo living is a money pit.

Last edited:
Don't buy a condo, they're a waste of money. Don't listen to anyone who tells you different.

Rent a room for $500 a month and save until you can buy a crap home. Once you buy, rent out a room or two in your new crap home or the basement.

Condo living is a money pit.

I'd recommend not listening to anyone who makes crap blanket statements.

I'd recommend not listening to anyone who makes crap blanket statements.

You've just called my statement crap? Who's crap? Hit the bricks pal! You're not giving Mike any favours with your lies. I tell it like it is.

So simuls most likely invests in condos if you read his posts. So he's either a real estate agent, makes money by flipping condos and/or homes(most likely), a mortgage lawyer, a banker, or a combination of these. Take a look at his posts, all real estate related.

Radioheadmike, condo living is a big lie. It's a money pit. I had to learn the hard way.

I'm telling it like it is, you can sugar coat condo living all you want. If you're a programmer who's on a fixed income, I would recommend something with the potential to help you pay your mortgage such as a home that you can live in and rent a room or the basement. This is especially important in these uncertain times.

For example, a techie at my company makes about $60k a year. He just bought a home for $294k in the Dufferin/Bloor area. It's a decent home, semi-detached and very modest. He walks to the subway in 4 minutes, rents out his basement for $740 which covers 2/3 of his mortgage. He saves the money he would otherwise waste on maintenance fees (app. $500 a month).

Thing is, people will say that homes have unexpected costs. Yeah, so do condos. In fact, talk to every home owner you know and you will see the total they've spent over 5 years in fixing up their home or unexpected costs ends up being a lot less than what you'll pay in maintenance costs for a condo.

I pay approximately $450 a month in maintenance in my current condo which is a very modest 700 sq ft. This does not include energy costs which is another $65 a month, more or less. Also, your maintenance cost DOES NOT include property tax. I pay about $1955 a year in property tax, plus add in maintenance and heating, electricity bills and you see the big picture. Plus, since it's early days, I've heard through the board president who's a decent bloke that our condo fees are set to increase by a staggering 15-20% during the next annual board meeting.

If you think you'll be saving on a gym membership, many people in condos still hold on to their memberships because the facilities in condos pale in comparison to Goodlife or Extreme Fitness.

Good luck, and talk to as many home owners you can. Do not believe what real estate agents tell you about the argument: "it's about lifestyle choice". If you truly want to save for the future, forget that line and do what's right not what fancy marketing brochures or real estate agents are trying to tell you.

Last edited:
Holy low interest rate Batman! Prime is now 2.25%, until at least mid-2010. My mortgages are 1.7% and 1.95%! Gonna get another condo...hehe....

You've just called my statement crap? Who's crap? Hit the bricks pal! You're not giving Mike any favours with your lies. I tell it like it is.

So simuls most likely invests in condos if you read his posts. So he's either a real estate agent, makes money by flipping condos and/or homes(most likely), a mortgage lawyer, a banker, or a combination of these. Take a look at his posts, all real estate related.

Ummmmmm. Gosh, I'm just not sure where to start? I guess I'm flattered that you bothered to read my posts. Thank you. But let me correct a couple things...

First, it's impossible for a statement to lie when it uses the words "I recommend". Learn some grammar big talking boy. I could have just as easily said "I don't recommend listening to people who feel a need to curse on a message board because they're clearly immature and probably should go back to school", but I was nice. Now I'm not.

Second, you're wrong on every one of those counts as I am none of those. I am simply, a condo owner, one that I live in (although i just sold it and have bought another), who completely disagrees with you. My experience with owning a condo (this is my first) has certainly not been smooth sailing, and I have learned from mine and the developers mistakes, but it has been great in terms of money, quality of life, and believe it or not, neighbours and friends.

I could go into all the money matters that you raised, but I've done it all in previous posts and if radioheadmike would like to read them (as you have done) he is more than welcome to. I think they are quite fair and balanced.

Ummmmmm. Gosh, I'm just not sure where to start? I guess I'm flattered that you bothered to read my posts. Thank you. But let me correct a couple things...

First, it's impossible for a statement to lie when it uses the words "I recommend". Learn some grammar big talking boy. I could have just as easily said "I don't recommend listening to people who feel a need to curse on a message board because they're clearly immature and probably should go back to school", but I was nice. Now I'm not.

Second, you're wrong on every one of those counts as I am none of those. I am simply, a condo owner, one that I live in (although i just sold it and have bought another), who completely disagrees with you. My experience with owning a condo (this is my first) has certainly not been smooth sailing, and I have learned from mine and the developers mistakes, but it has been great in terms of money, quality of life, and believe it or not, neighbours and friends.

I could go into all the money matters that you raised, but I've done it all in previous posts and if radioheadmike would like to read them (as you have done) he is more than welcome to. I think they are quite fair and balanced.

I can't stand you English majors libertarian types. I have my own company and make more in a month than you do in a year.

What has your English or Philosophy major brought you except the ability to insult people's grammer and take shots at people who have big opinions?

Just because I seem crass to you does not mean I am wrong.

Last edited:

Immature? Instead of attacking my comments you go after my grammer? I work for a living and do not have time to think about grammer. I think in my language (Arabic) so sometimes I make mistakes.

My advice to mike on housing comes from my heart.

As for your grammer, you certainly have away with the English language as do most of the libertarian types on this forum. I think the only thing your tips will do is improve my writing unfortunately.

I was born in Iran and came to Canada in 1999. So my English language skills are not the best. But your insult to me is low. You don't like my crass advice to Mike, why don't you attack the comments and not my language skills?

Who is being immature simul (ation)?

Lets be realistic... both options suck a## when you try to look at it from a numbers, or business perspective.

You are simply paying for shelter, there is no money to be made in buying a condo or home. You simply need to figure out what works for you. Period end of story. The only people who make money off of housing are land owners, developers, agents, lawyers, and government. The end user never, ever makes money on their property.

Hmm, is this the description you'll use on MLS when selling your condo?

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

No, that is why I refrain from mentioning my builder's name or the condo I live in.

Our builder has done some things that are dishonest but unfortunately legal.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

No, that is why I refrain from mentioning my builder's name or the condo I live in.

Our builder has done some things that are dishonest but unfortunately legal.

I'd appreciate it if you would mention the builder at least since all you're doing is informing ppl of what happened, it wouldn't be considered liabilous.

And i'm sure many members would like to know who the 'bad' apples are.
Many already know of Cresford's horrible reputation and Aspen Ridge's switch-a-roo because of their contract's purposeful vagueness that allows them to do as they please.

Last edited:
I can't stand you English majors libertarian types. I have my own company and make more in a month than you do in a year.

What has your English or Philosophy major brought you except the ability to insult people's grammer and take shots at people who have big opinions.

Wow! Such venom!! I really hope that your anger over your current situation turns into action (like joining a condo board, or local association to protect condo owner's rights), but you'll have to stop making assumptions about people you don't know if you want to be effective. Simply hurling vindictives and insults doesn't really help anyone's situation and has hijacked the purpose of this thread which had to do with affordability not the pros/cons of condo ownership.

And I did deal with your comments - the grammar was one sentence out of many.

Here's the straight up deal with my condo ownership experience. It has been affordable, a good investment, because of my condo's location it allowed me to ditch my car (which saves me about $9000/year), I rent out my parking spot which pays my property taxes. My fees are are $317/month for 630 sq. feet plus $18/month electricity. I use my condo gym which is quite decent so I don't have that expense either.

Buying a house and renting a basement apt or a room is a great idea. But on another post I did go into the costs of owning a condo vs. a home, and in my circle of friends, everyone who has a condo is coming out waaaaaay ahead. Like in the tens of thousands of dollars vs. a home. But every situation is unique and I'm sure that that's not the case for everyone.

My advice to Radioheadmike (who I'm pretty sure stated on here that he's decided to rent) is to do exactly that and get a bigger downpayment. Prices on condos will drop another 10-15% in the next couple of years and then, with a bigger downpayment if he wants to get into the real estate game he'll be better prepared.

Please let's stick with the issues on the board.

costs of owning a condo vs. a home

Ahem, a condo is a home to those who live in it. I think you mean 'house', or 'detached house'. I haven't researched this, but I have a suspicion that calling houses 'homes' (as well as calling townhouses 'townhomes') is a real-estate marketing trick to make the product seem more warm and safe and appealing, and we have allowed it to seep into our everyday language. Be vigilant, people!

my two cents for radioheadmike on his decision--

1. Good idea to move closer to where you work. I recommend first renting somewhere much closer to your work and really getting a sense for different neighbourhoods and what you need/want before purchasing. Don't be seduced by the low interest rates because they could be much higher in five years when you renew, but your principal will likely still be quite high. RE Agents will plug the affordability based on monthly payments, but this is a narrow/biased short-term perspective; They are only interested in selling you the short-term affordability because they will be gone after they are paid. It is most important to look at long-term affordability and value (keep your eye on the big number, the price, because it is what you have to live with for the longterm). Since interest rates have nowhere to go but up, prices will come down. North Americans have really bought into the property ownership thing, but prices to rents eventually revert to longterm trends. Transaction costs and expenses of owing are quite high (10% of the value of your property to sell/buy), and it can be a lot of work and stressful to sell a property. You are young, and your outlook and possible needs for something different will change in 5-10 years, so why the urgency to own a mortgage? Take this from someone who has learned from experience.

2. If your commute is in the city and fairly short, buy a scooter rather than rely on TTC or car; A scooter/motorcycle with less than 250cc engine is only 500-600 yearly to insure and you can park it for free, or with the bicycles. I ditched my metropass after years of relying on the ttc, and now enjoy getting around town much faster 9 months of the year.

Last edited:
You are simply paying for shelter, there is no money to be made in buying a condo or home. You simply need to figure out what works for you. Period end of story. The only people who make money off of housing are land owners, developers, agents, lawyers, and government. The end user never, ever makes money on their property.

hmm..... tell that to the 190k we made after selling our last condo. That's after 4 years of living in it. Seems like a profit to me? That's after all fees and whatnot btw.

Back