1.7K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 625     0 

A theory about Rob Ford's support base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't dis Don Mills. There are plenty of beautiful homes in that area, especially east of the DVP in Parkwoods (my hood). Though the photo you posted is quite ugly.

Actually, if you followed through on the "before" link I posted, I meant to praise Don Mills, not to bury it--indeed, aesthetic stuff like "the photo I posted" does a lot more to "bury" old Don Mills, which is the point I was trying to make, anyway. Funny how you didn't catch on--or, for that matter, that with its being your hood and all, you haven't caught on to anything inherently "historical" about Don Mills and its satellite neighbourhoods...

Commoners won, out of touch elitists who like to control what private houses look like lost. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

Really? You're declaring that in Urban Toronto on behalf of the EIFS-quoins aesthetic, let alone in old Don Mills?!?

gagameat.jpg

You're definitely asking to be worn by Lady Gaga, once UT's "out of touch elitists" are done with you.

Commoners won, out of touch elitists who like to control what private houses look like lost. Doesn't sound so bad to me.

As I have been saying, people are fed up with elitists' "visions" and these so called "visions" being forced onto them. It was not about average income, or family size or city 123. It was a finger to those who like to use our tax money to pay for their own ideology. Now, Would Ford be any different? I don't know. The problem with right wing politicians is that they tend to use our tax dollars to pay for a separate set of ideologies. Like more cops, bigger military, etc. I guess we will have to wait and see.

That has to be one of the biggest pile of tea-party inspired bunk I have ever read on this forum. The commoners vs. the elitists? Give me a break. Elections, like any elections, revolve around themes and ideas. Ford is no more in touch with the common people than any other politician, perhaps more so.

Ford's problem is that he talks in vague concepts. He has no concept of how his real decisions will impact real people. It's not unusual in politics to think that way, but occasionally in politics we do get a politician who understands the old adage that all politics is local.

This is an urban forum. We talk about transportation, architecture, pedestrian traffic, social services. Or as you would call it, elitism. This forum is all about ideas. Don't you dare reduce people who want to clearly understand an issue to being elitists.

Ford's problem is that he talks in vague concepts. He has no concept of how his real decisions will impact real people. It's not unusual in politics to think that way, but occasionally in politics we do get a politician who understands the old adage that all politics is local.

Actually, the argument for Ford (even from apparent political opposites like Dave Meslin) is that he does understand that adage--like, how more "local" can you get than the retail-politics, serving-the-customer-directly ethic?

Except that he does it to a fault. Like, when it comes to being on council, let alone Mayor--again with the EIFS-quoins metaphor, but you really can't and shouldn't trust a design/build merchant to do an architect's job...

Actually, the argument for Ford (even from apparent political opposites like Dave Meslin) is that he does understand that adage--like, how more "local" can you get than the retail-politics, serving-the-customer-directly ethic?

Ford makes a big deal about returning phone calls. That's great. He should become a Bell Canada operator. But on any substantive issues or any votes at City Hall, where the "rubber meets the road", there's disconnect.

For example, he voted to end sidewalk clearing for seniors. Yeah, those elitist seniors should shovel their own damn sidewalks, apparently.

Ford makes a big deal about returning phone calls. That's great. He should become a Bell Canada operator. But on any substantive issues or any votes at City Hall, where the "rubber meets the road", there's disconnect.

For example, he voted to end sidewalk clearing for seniors. Yeah, those elitist seniors should shovel their own damn sidewalks, apparently.

Thus my "design/builder to do an architect's job" point. All the more so when it's a design/builder who's absolutely convinced he can do a job better than an "elitist" architect can. Yeah, sure; he may have more so-called "common touch" than a highfalutin architect, but so does the proverbial aluminum siding salesman...

Stop calling Ford a bigot.
Why? With his many anti-gay comments and remarks, he is without question a bigot.

That statement holds no value since white liberals seemed to have much more issue with his words than immigrants themselves.
What do immigrants have to do with his homophobic bigotry? I've never called Ford an immigrant based on either his anti-immigrant remarks, or his ethnic stereotyping.

Actually, if you followed through on the "before" link I posted, I meant to praise Don Mills, not to bury it--indeed, aesthetic stuff like "the photo I posted" does a lot more to "bury" old Don Mills, which is the point I was trying to make, anyway. Funny how you didn't catch on--or, for that matter, that with its being your hood and all, you haven't caught on to anything inherently "historical" about Don Mills and its satellite neighbourhoods...

My bad. I agree, there has been a lot of demolition and horrible replacement homes. This area should be protected as is. Within the next 20-30 years all the bungalows will be gone and replaced with bland, contemporary boxes and mcmansions. I heard something about Denzil Minnan Wongshington wanting to get heritage status for Three Valleys (the eastern edge of Don Mills). I wish something like that would be implemented in the Lawrence Park area. Some of the most beautiful homes in the city are located there. Each unique, but many have been torn down and replaced in the last decade.

Why? With his many anti-gay comments and remarks, he is without question a bigot.

What do immigrants have to do with his homophobic bigotry? I've never called Ford an immigrant based on either his anti-immigrant remarks, or his ethnic stereotyping.

Which comments exactly make him a bigot?

Immigrants have nothing to do with homophobic bigotry. I was referring to the comments you made further back in one of the Ford/mayor threads about Ford being a biggot for calling Asians hard working. There's nothing bigoted about that. It's an assumption, yes, but there is a great deal of Asians that fit that criteria. There are also lazy Asians. The point is, it wasn't a negative comment that he made.

Immigrants have nothing to do with homophobic bigotry. I was referring to the comments you made further back in one of the Ford/mayor threads about Ford being a biggot for calling Asians hard working. There's nothing bigoted about that. It's an assumption, yes, but there is a great deal of Asians that fit that criteria. There are also lazy Asians. The point is, it wasn't a negative comment that he made.

The fact that Ford refused to give money to the AIDS committee because "only gays and drug addicts get AIDS', makes him a bigot. It's NOT true but even if it was, don't the lives of gay people have any value to Ford? (as well as drug users) We pay taxes too! When I heard he said that, I was mad as hell. If that's not hate, what is?

The fact that Ford refused to give money to the AIDS committee because "only gays and drug addicts get AIDS', makes him a bigot. It's NOT true but even if it was, don't the lives of gay people have any value to Ford? (as well as drug users) We pay taxes too! When I heard he said that, I was mad as hell. If that's not hate, what is?

I don't think that's necessarily bigoted. The majority of people with AIDS are gay. It's just reality. Sure there are straight people with the disease too but their percentage is much lower. Drug users lead a very risky life. The way I see it, if you're crazy enough to dabble with something that is extremely harmful and unatural to your body then you should face the consequences. Sometimes lessons need to be learned the hard way and would help to deter further abuse of one's body. Unfortunately rehab doesn't always work for drug users. If you have an addictive personality than you're most likely going to be stuck with bad habits your entire life.

Last edited:
You're missing the point. He didn't want to support the AIDS committee because of who it serves.

You're missing the point. He didn't want to support the AIDS committee because of who it serves.

Even if he is anti gay, that's his right. I don't truly think he hates gay people, he just thinks certain ones should be more careful. If people protected themselves during sex or didn't have multiple partners there wouldn't be an epidemic. The same goes for straight people that lead promiscuous lives. If you're monogamous you'll most likely avoid any such troubles.

Oh good grief, do we have to do this again? We've been up and down this time and time again. There have been many over the years, including to referring to homosexuality as a choice and noting that he supports "traditional marriage" (what on earth is traditional marriage ... is that where your wife is the same race and religion as you, you keep her barefoot and pregnant, and you rape her frequently?). In particular was his decision to vote against funding for and AIDS prevention funding, where he stated as his reason that AIDS is a gay disease. And recently there was when he received the support of a notorious fundamental Christian pastor who has been very anti-gay and Ford noted that they shared the same views.

I was referring to the comments you made further back in one of the Ford/mayor threads about Ford being a biggot for calling Asians hard working.
I never referred to this example of ethnic sterotyping as bigotry. Please give me a URL.

This is a pretty boring conversation. (Aside from the fun of guessing which banned user Hairy Yeti is. Dugmor, right?)

I don't think anyone can really argue that Rob Ford lacks tact, especially when it comes to race, sexual orientation and just generally people who exist outside his limited worldview. But I also don't think anyone can argue that anyone - outside maybe a small group of homophobes and xenophobes on the fringe - voted for him because he's tactless.

It was a non-issue for most voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back