1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 539     0 

A Lakeshore Road Journey... (Part II)

D

Darkstar416

A promised in Part I, here is Part II.

BURLINGTON

Sort of a cross between Port Credit and Oakville really. The waterfront is done very well (and could probably teach T.O. a few things), but some of the downtown feels underused and a bit like its had better days.

We'll start with a few pics of Burlington City Hall which is actually pretty cool...
DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0883.jpg

DSCN0883.jpg

A fountain (I can't remember if it is genuinely old or pretend old).
DSCN0885.jpg

Strange juxtapositions in Burlington too.
DSCN0886.jpg

The waterfront.
DSCN0887.jpg

A beech (with the Burlington Skyway in the background). Too bad the water couldn't be cleaner.
DSCN0888.jpg

simply Dan and myself fell in love with this development. For a change, I wasn't kitchy marina-ish or faux historic. It was unapologetically modern and really made us respect what Burlington is doing on its waterfront. It's called Discovery Landing and the building itself houses a bar/restaurant called "Spencer's" and a City-run information centre about the future of Burlington's waterfront. Here's a bunch of pics...

DSCN0889.jpg

DSCN0890.jpg

DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

DSCN0893.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

DSCN0898.jpg

DSCN0899.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

On our way towards Hamilton we stopped in a few places in the tony Aldershot area of Burlington in order to get snaps of Burlington Bay and Hamilton (including the steel factories)....

DSCN0903.jpg

DSCN0904.jpg

DSCN0905.jpg

DSCN0906.jpg

DSCN0907.jpg

DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0909.jpg

Lakeshore Road may have come to an end, but our trip didn't...

DUNDAS

Dan and I both know Hamilton pretty well, but we've actually never been to the former Town of Dundas so we decided to try and find Dundas (which is a little harder than you might expect). In general, we loved the place! The streetlife could have certainly been better, but the topography of the town is amazing and it feels like an Apalachian mining village or something with small "mountains" surrounding the town. The main street is quite nice and it's quite obvious why Hollywood loves shooting here too.

Various shots around the town...
DSCN0910.jpg

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0913.jpg

DSCN0914.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0917.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0920.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

Many Hollywood movies (and even the TV series "The West Wing") have come to Dundas to shoot at the Deluxe Restaurant.
DSCN0922.jpg

DSCN0923.jpg

Cracked virolite? You don't say.
DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0915.jpg

And that concludes our Lakeshore Road adventure, but more Canada Day Weekend adventures are here.

The Discovery Landing complex in Burlington was designed by Baird Sampson Nuert.

Were the Aldershot pictures taken from LaSalle Park or another location?

It also seems that you skipped the Bronte section of the Oakville waterfront, I've always preferred that marina compared to the 16 mile creek marina.

"The waterfront is done very well (and could probably teach T.O. a few things), but some of the downtown feels underused and a bit like its had better days."

...Actually, quite the opposite is true. As recently as 5 or 10 years ago Burlington's downtown core was moribund - I know, because that's when I move in! Since then people have been moving here in droves, there are condos going up everywhere, and many new restaurants and shops are springing up in response. The changes have been huge: The revitalization of the waterfront, a number of major festivals through the summer including Canada's largest Rib Fest, and a major push to promote density and downtown rejuvination are starting to bear fruit. Did you notice the new modern street furniture along lakeshore, and the new paving and streetscaping? It truly is beautiful and of high quality.

Of interest for those closely watching waterfront revitalization in Toronto, both Hamilton and Burlington have been making enormous investments in their shorelines. Discovery Landing is now being completed with an interactive water playground with jet sprays that double as floodlit fountains at night. You can also rent remote-controlled boats for the reflecting pond that will double as outdoor skating in the winter. Some coming additions include a new downtown pier with landmark beacon, a centre for the performing arts, and an annex campus of McMaster University to add to the diversity of downtown. A major tourist attraction is also being planned for the causeway lands that run along the beach strip and skyway bridge (there has been talk of an aquarium).

Dundas has a Carnegie Library that dates from 1910, shown in the photo - just one of over 2,500 libraries that were built throughout the English-speaking world as part of Andrew Carnegie's huge philanthropic initiative. I sat at a computer in one in April, in King's Lynn England, chattering on this forum.

Babel: There really are some beautiful heritage buildings in Dundas. It's a little off the beaten track but it's a gorgeous place for a stroll in the fall, particularly along King and Victoria Streets. Ancaster is pretty too.

I find the middle of Ancaster a little too Unionville-ish for its own good--though maybe that *is* for its own good...

Were the Aldershot pictures taken from LaSalle Park or another location?
Some were taken from the Burlington Golf & Country Club while a few others were taken a bit further east from Oakland Park Crt.

It also seems that you skipped the Bronte section of the Oakville waterfront, I've always preferred that marina compared to the 16 mile creek marina.
Indeed, we drove through Bronte, but never went to the waterfront in that part of Oakville. Is it worth seeing?

...Actually, quite the opposite is true. As recently as 5 or 10 years ago Burlington's downtown core was moribund - I know, because that's when I move in! Since then people have been moving here in droves, there are condos going up everywhere, and many new restaurants and shops are springing up in response.
Perhaps it had something to do with it being Canada Day, but downtown was D-E-A-D on that particular day. All the life was on the strip along the waterfront. However, I'm willing to trust you on your assumption that downtown Burlington's best days aren't behind it.

" I find the middle of Ancaster a little too Unionville-ish for its own good--though maybe that *is* for its own good... "

True, but get off the main drag and you'll find some heritage gems and old trees on side streets.

"Perhaps it had something to do with it being Canada Day, but downtown was D-E-A-D on that particular day. All the life was on the strip along the waterfront. However, I'm willing to trust you on your assumption that downtown Burlington's best days aren't behind it."

Well we're not Queen West yet, but it's definately turning around, and so is the demographic of the downtown neighbourhoods. Where once it had been pretty much abandonded to seniors and stepford wives, one by one the old houses in my street are being bought by young couples, families and single professionals. My street is also about a half and half mix of gay and straight households...gentrification can only be so long away!!

^It's not worth a trip by it's self, it nice and all, I'm more asking because it is conspicuous by it absence.

Here's a nifty map of Bronte Village from the BIA website.

www.brontevillage.net/virtual_map.php

If you ever come this way again check out La Salle Park.

Marina%202005.jpg

856980_20050620_rachellerousseau.jpg

Good for Birding, saw a Tundra Swan there this spring :)
LaSalle%20Park%20%20Hamilton.jpg

tudararms: Now that you've come out as a Burlintonian - among other things - you'll have to invite the gay forum over to your spotlessly maintained split level bungalow for a lovely day in the country. Meet us at the gate in a nice gingham outfit, show us your pressed wildflower collection, and lead us in a game of charades. Later, perhaps, a little walk through your most Stepfordly neighbourhoods - where you can point out which houses are owned by practising homosexuals, which are owned by wifebeaters, and which are owned by both. Then, we're all back on the bus, and heading home for supper ... as we wave to you out of the back window.

Re: A Lakeshore Road Journey... (Part II)

tudararms: I tend to agree that downtown Burlington (perhaps no longer "Borington") is on the way up. But I'm interested in your comment regarding a satellite campus of McMaster for Burlington. I know this has been proposed and discussed over the years, but is it actually about to happen? I haven't heard much of it recently. Has a location been determined?

"tudararms: Now that you've come out as a Burlintonian - among other things - you'll have to invite the gay forum over to your spotlessly maintained split level bungalow for a lovely day in the country. Meet us at the gate in a nice gingham outfit, show us your pressed wildflower collection, and lead us in a game of charades. Later, perhaps, a little walk through your most Stepfordly neighbourhoods - where you can point out which houses are owned by practising homosexuals, which are owned by wifebeaters, and which are owned by both. Then, we're all back on the bus, and heading home for supper ... as we wave to you out of the back window."

You'd be welcome anytime! My gingham number is looking a little worse for wear, but I do have the most jaunty Halston polka dot tie! The white dots, on a mulberry/plum background, are just the right size, and not spaced too tightly. You will pardon the pedantic description, but this delightfully foppish garment is the "ne plus ultra" of big-city sartorial style, a virtue which I am certain will not be lost on you. Then, after gently guiding you through the ghastliness of our suburban wasteland I shall weep with envy as I watch you go, your delicate powdered hand gently waving, as you return to the splendour from whence you came.

"tudararms: I tend to agree that downtown Burlington (perhaps no longer "Borington") is on the way up. But I'm interested in your comment regarding a satellite campus of McMaster for Burlington. I know this has been proposed and discussed over the years, but is it actually about to happen? I haven't heard much of it recently. Has a location been determined"

Observer Walt: Yes, the deal has been made, but I don't believe that they have settled on a location yet. The only clear parameter is that it be located downtown. I've heard speculation that it will be on Brant Street, a block or so north of Lakeshore. It will definately be a welcomed addition to our little provincial burg.

Actually, the gay cyclists of this forum may be heading in your direction a couple of Saturdays hence. Oakvile is their destination, but the aroma of steaming possum stew - or whatever you people snare and cook out there - wafting over the treetops of Burlington, would no doubt draw them further into the backwoods. You and your toothless neighbours can play banjo around the campfire to welcome them.

Back