News   Jul 12, 2024
 96     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 282     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 591     0 

A city not built for the cold

large garbage trucks roaring up Yonge Street close to the sidewalk, sending up huge sprays of slush as young men tried to outrun them.

That's brilliant! Danger, athletics, excitement, roaring crowds, large trucks! All the elements are there for a major semi-winter festival that could rival the Roman games!

Who could ever think that slush was just something to be avoided!

The young men would, of course, be immaculately dressed in beautiful and expensive designer clothes. The event would be sponsored by drycleaning companies.

My sister, who went there, told me that it was modeled after a university campus in California.

That's up there in the (sub)urban myth category with the ramp that used to go to the top of Central Square (since taken down and replaced by Veri (?)Hall). The myth was that it was designed to allow tanks to go up and break up student demonstrations (60's and all).

The young men would, of course, be immaculately dressed in beautiful and expensive designer clothes. The event would be sponsored by drycleaning companies

You're on a roll! No doubt the dry-cleaning industry has been left out of the exciting world of festival sponsorship.

Bring on the sleet!!

My sister, who went there, told me that it was modeled after a university campus in California.

I went to York and heard the same rumour - but that it was modeled on UCBerkeley, specifically. After looking at all the UC campus maps online, I can not see anything remotely like the plan of York, other than a lot of brutalist architecture.

Something like Montreal's Plaza St. Hubert could be tried, but I personally find it a bit ugly and odd. Moreover, it only protects from the elements, not the cold...

19.jpg

Really?

I think Torontonians really need to suck it up and learn to live with the cold or else move south. Judging by the number of people who are not dressed appropriately for the weather and the number of cars without snow tires I don't think the problem is the infrastructure.

I wholeheartedly agree with the problem of puddles collecting at crosswalks though. They should really start putting storm drains where the water can get to them even with snow banks around. It would also help if people in residential areas who have to shovel their sidewalks would also take a minute to shovel off the drain.

Last edited:
I think Torontonians really need to suck it up and learn to ilive with the cold or else move south. Judging by the number of people who are not dressed appropriately for the weather and the number of cars without snow tires I don't think the problem is the infrastructure.

Yea, it really isn't cold here. Go to Montreal or Ottawa...THAT's cold...and still not as cold as Calgary and Edmonton. We're a cold weather country, you're going to have to deal with the weather or move.

Back