370     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 

76 Shuter (?,15s, Northgrave Architect) COMPLETE

E

Ed007Toronto

Not great but better than I was expecting. Top could be interesting.

76Shuter-Dec3,06(3).jpg

76Shuter-Dec3,06(5).jpg

better than phase 1 but still a strong candidate for the 2007 fugly award

They should have tried to copy their advertising renderings. They looked better than this.

it's not good, but it's not bad either. the base of it meets the street well, and I like the massing. i dislike the west facade, but then that was only done in anticipation of future development. i wouldn't want a city full of these, but on a forgettable street in a part of town in need of a bit of a cleanup, this'll do just fine

Definelty a good building for this neighbourhood. I mean as far as I can tell, its (the neighbourhood) seems pretty seedy.

I can see why they didn't release a promo rendering. I wonder if you can rent rooms by the hour?

The last time there was any imagery associated with the building was when it was still called "Boot 2" and was not selling particularly well.

" i dislike the west facade, but then that was only done in anticipation of future development."

but those ~1860 townhouses aren't likely to ever be re-developed

^ unfortunately the developer has no choice in the matter as it is a Building Code issue. The OBC has specific provisions regarding the size and placement of windows when the structure is built to the property line.

Meh. Density is always a good thing - especially in that part of downtown... still too many parking lots and underutilized properties.

Amazingly, the developer found a way to make me in favor of destroying those 1860's townhouses. Maybe it's less jarring from closer up but as it looks in the photos, I'd rather see another condo there or maybe some bizarre facadism.

"unfortunately the developer has no choice in the matter as it is a Building Code issue. "

yes I'm well aware of this provision (partly from the dozens of times you've posted it) but there are alternatives to a blank concrete wall

and didn't the developer originally plan a shorter fatter slab by incorporating facades and/or demolishing the townhouses?

be pretty easy with little financial loss to buy and combine the neighbouring townhome property to the highrise site in order to bypass this provision and build a better city

Back