607     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 720     1 

700 sq. ft. floorplan for laneway loft with centre couryard

azureray

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am designing a one floor, one bedroom laneway loft. One challenge is to have natural light. So I have designed a narrow courtyard to be the centre piece of the whole loft.

Let me know what you guys think? The loft size is 20 ft by 35 ft.

image-DFF7_4B80F079.jpg

image-2B97_4B80F079.jpg

image-A57C_4B80F079.jpg

Neat idea but I find the courtyard seems somewhat forced into the relatively small space. I am also concerned that instead of bringing light into the space you are instead boxing it into the courtyard area. If you do away with the courtyard you could move the bedroom/washroom closer to the entrance and then move the kitchen and l/r to the end where the bedroom and courtyard are now. In addition, I don't really like the way the l/r appears to be in the kitchen and 20 ft is too far for the tv to be from the sofa. If you want light you may be better off with a few large well placed mirrors that would reflect the light through out the unit. If you can extent the windows floor to ceiling or put in a skylight even better.

I'm assuming you can't do any of the above because it's a laneway and adding windows/privacy is an issue, so if that's the case, then I think this is a very interesting idea and would work!

The challenge was to incorporate more natural light. If privacy is an issue, you can simply get the windows frosted or install semi private curtains/blinds.

The challenge was to incorporate more natural light. If privacy is an issue, you can simply get the windows frosted or install semi private curtains/blinds.

That's right, on the outside facing of the "light-box" courtyard, there should be a layer frosted glass...as it is opening to neighbour's backyard...that's why there's limited window space...but does not prevent us from creating courtyard openings.

I think the design deserves a lot of credit for being unique. I have not seen that type of concept before within an individual unit.

what is the orientation of the building and the height / proximity of the neighbours home?

how large of a lot do you have to work with?

have you considered bi-secting the loft into zones with a larger courtyard;
or changing the orientation of the courtyard to N-S like the set ups in older victorian homes?

http://www.floorplanner.com/projects/19294944-my-first-project

sorry i don't know how to post the images on here ...
couldn't find a washer/dryer, or put door to the washroom ... the courtyard atrium should be shown with glass on ALL 3 sides.

what is the orientation of the building and the height / proximity of the neighbours home?

how large of a lot do you have to work with?

have you considered bi-secting the loft into zones with a larger courtyard;
or changing the orientation of the courtyard to N-S like the set ups in older victorian homes?

http://www.floorplanner.com/projects/19294944-my-first-project

sorry i don't know how to post the images on here ...
couldn't find a washer/dryer, or put door to the washroom ... the courtyard atrium should be shown with glass on ALL 3 sides.

Thanks again for your detailed reply cdr108~!! I love the openess of your layout...

The lot size 20ft by 35ft, and the structure occupies the entire lot. It's zoned R4(1.0), means multi-unit dwelling with maximun floor space of the lot size. If I want to increase floor space, I either have to use basement (3ft under ground to qualify) or go to OMB for variances.

The Frontage is facing west. The only concern is I probably can not have the orientation of the courtyard to N-S like the set ups in older victorian homes, due to privacy issues with the neighbor's back yard. See below for details.

image-A55C_4B84AB0B.jpg

Last edited:

Back