News   Apr 18, 2024
 652     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

664-682 Yonge Street (across from Isabella, land assembly)

I fear that the unnamed developer buying up sites on Yonge is likely Canderel - I've noticed a number of for lease signs on Yonge storefronts with Canderel logos on them.

I fear that the unnamed developer buying up sites on Yonge is likely Canderel - I've noticed a number of for lease signs on Yonge storefronts with Canderel logos on them.

It sure looks like the previous owner of 22 College, who also owned several properties on Yonge St., sold the lot to Canderel some time ago.

If all these projects are approved and completed, in 10 years, the area between Gerrard and Bloor east of Bay st will become a much denser section, almost another downtown of its own, just like what is happening at the entertainment district between King and Queen West. Let's see

Aura
385 Yonge

Yonge North of College
501 Yonge (2X)
Five
Nicholas
587-599 Yonge
40 Wellesley E
625-627 Yonge
664-682 Yonge
17 Dundonald
8 Gloucester/601-613 Yonge
Casa II
Chaz Yorkville

On Church
81 Wellesley E (?)
66 Isabella
365 Church
355 Church
anything at Carlton/Church at all to fill the NE or SW corner?

Am I missing anything? How many new people these buildings will bring to north downtown?
I was wondering with the huge influx of people, will there be enough amenities, such as retail space to cope up with the change? I am sure all those who move in will have decent income.

I don't worry about transit, as these people will probably walk most of the time and it will actually relieve the pressure on Yonge if there is any impact.

If all these projects are approved and completed, in 10 years, the area between Gerrard and Bloor east of Bay st will become a much denser section, almost another downtown of its own, just like what is happening at the entertainment district between King and Queen West. Let's see

Aura
385 Yonge

Yonge North of College
501 Yonge (2X)
Five
Nicholas
587-599 Yonge
40 Wellesley E
625-627 Yonge
664-682 Yonge
17 Dundonald
8 Gloucester/601-613 Yonge
Casa II
Chaz Yorkville

On Church
81 Wellesley E (?)
66 Isabella
365 Church
355 Church
anything at Carlton/Church at all to fill the NE or SW corner?

Am I missing anything? How many new people these buildings will bring to north downtown?
I was wondering with the huge influx of people, will there be enough amenities, such as retail space to cope up with the change? I am sure all those who move in will have decent income.

I don't worry about transit, as these people will probably walk most of the time and it will actually relieve the pressure on Yonge if there is any impact.

Because these are also so close I would add

One Bloor
50 Bloor St W
27 Yorkville
U Condos 1 & 2
1000 Bay
70 St Mary St

There's also 50 Wellesley E. (aka 46 Wellesley E.) and the two tower proposal (unofficial) across from the Wellesley subway station on Wellesley St.

Yonge street at grade in the future: Dry cleaner, Rabba, Dentist office, dry cleaner, Pizza Pizza, Bank of Montreal, dry-cleaner...and repeat.

Yonge street at grade in the future: Dry cleaner, Rabba, Dentist office, dry cleaner, Pizza Pizza, Bank of Montreal, dry-cleaner...and repeat.

No different than what Yonge St. has now. Yes, you do have mom-and-pop stores (that are barely surviving and barely interesting - at least to me), but you also have a slew of cash stores, dollar stores and other non-descript stores that come and go. There is still character on Yonge, but many of it's gone. It's nothing like the days of past, when you could walk into an arcade and play some Double Dragon.

Much of what you described as coming retail for Yonge with all these developments is already there. With new development, the retail leases will be much more expensive, which means more "quality" and "higher-end" retail, which I understand some will find boring. Trust me, I do not want to see Bay St. on Yonge St., but I do welcome change and also think it's time for change. Let's be honest, Yonge St. is not pretty and needs all the help it can get. Celebrate Yonge 2012 allowed us to visually see the possibilities and the proposed changes to Yonge St., in my eyes, are much needed.

Back