News   Apr 16, 2024
 165     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 

664-682 Yonge Street (across from Isabella, land assembly)

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
TheTorontoBlog mentions the rumour circulating around the area about a development acquiring the properties along this stretch of Yonge Street.

http://thetorontoblog.com/2012/10/11/40-storey-condo-proposed-for-yonge-isabella/

Approximately 1/3 into the article:

Word on the street is that one particular developer has been busy buying buildings on the west side of Yonge between College and Bloor Streets and now owns at least three prime corner locations, including much of the block between Irwin and St Mary Streets across the street from the 625 Yonge and 2-8 Gloucester condo development sites. That block includes a row of 10 historic commercial houses designed in 1883 by leading Toronto architect E.J. Lennox.

...This row of 10 houses from 664-682 Yonge was designed by noted Toronto architect E.J. Lennox in 1883 for the Scottish Ontario and Manitoba Land Company. The historic buildings were listed on the city’s inventory of heritage properties in 1974.

Merchants say a developer has acquired many of the properties on the block and probably plans to build a condo complex.

Last edited:
This might be the norm for years to come. Huge changes expected for Yonge Street. Via TheTorontoBlog:

http://thetorontoblog.com/2012/10/11/40-storey-condo-proposed-for-yonge-isabella/

More redevelopment announcements are anticipated for North Downtown Yonge in the very near future. At a public meeting of the Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association (CWNA) on September 25, Ward 27 Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam said she and City planning staff are presently reviewing 27 separate development proposals for properties on Yonge Street between the waterfront and Eglinton Avenue. Anecdotal evidence suggests that some of those proposals, which haven’t officially been filed with the City and therefore aren’t available to the public yet, involve locations on North Downtown Yonge.

So far I've been pretty indifferent to the proposals for 8 Gloucester, 625 Yonge and 599 Yonge because they are either just off Yonge, like in the case of 8 Gloucester, or are replacing architecturally worthless buildings, but a project that would tear down an historic row like this would absolutely erase the character of Yonge Street. There's is a little bit of space behind these buildings, so I'm hopeful of yet another Five Condos situation here, but the tower would have to be somewhat slender.

I just threw up in my mouth. This is why I've been beating the drums about all these crappy highrise developments on Yonge, namely the 501 & 466 projects as I just knew that this was inevitable. There's not enough room in behind to build anything significant here, historic Yonge Street downtown looks like it's becoming a losing battle. Quickly.

I agree that I can't see the Lennox row demolished at all--at worst, it'd be "Fived"...

Why even attempt this? If true, said developer had to know they'd have an enormous fight on their hands trying to get this through. Seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth. I'll keep my outrage in-check until some official confirmation though as this doesn't seem plausible to me.

I agree that I can't see the Lennox row demolished at all--at worst, it'd be "Fived"...

this is a far trickier site than 5ive. what crystal junkie says below is true, any approval here for a high rise would be a nightmare.

which brings me to my next point: perhaps this is unfounded speculation. yes, the same purchaser has been buying numerous pieces here but what if they don't have any designs on building a high rise? i find that sometimes we think just a bit too hard on this forum (as i propose another thought).

Back