News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

650o17.jpg

I walked by it the other day, and I have to put myself in the camp of judging it too soon. As absurd as it seemed at first, the repainted brick really is quite attractive. I actually kind of wish they'd have painted the lower portion as well. I wonder if there are any other hidden gems that would benefit from this kind of treatment

I'm not sure I understand what I'm looking at. They are taking the white paint off and then painting the bricks themselves to appear more brick-like, correct? If so, judging by these recent pictures, it looks more than acceptable to me. I'll admit that it's much better than I had expected after seeing what they were doing along the ground-level.

The paint job does look nice (from afar), but the bottom portion is still disastrous. Too bad they didn't plan to have the entire building just in painted brick.

Last edited:
cassius, you're right, is is hard to tell what exactly is going on. It's obvious from the photos the brown coloured brick is the preserved part,
but it appears from a distance that it has been done by removing the old white paint. I gather they are actually painting the white bits with
brick coloured brown paint. From a distance it doesn't look too bad. You may not want to get closer than 20', or your impression may change.

I'm not sure I understand what I'm looking at. They are taking the white paint off and then painting the bricks themselves to appear more brick-like, correct? If so, judging by these recent pictures, it looks more than acceptable to me. I'll admit that it's much better than I had expected after seeing what they were doing along the ground-level.

The white paint stays on; a bright red coat goes on over top (with bright white for the mortar lines), then another coat goes on over that, to mute the colours and give it a weathered effect. In photos and from a distance, I agree, it's surprisingly acceptable. I have a sneaking suspicion, though, that they didn't treat the first storey this way because it wouldn't hold up to closer scrutiny. Also, as AoD points out, who knows what it'll look like as the new paint ages and cracks. This is still a very bizarre reno.

The white paint stays on; a bright red coat goes on over top (with bright white for the mortar lines), then another coat goes on over that, to mute the colours and give it a weathered effect. In photos and from a distance, I agree, it's surprisingly acceptable. I have a sneaking suspicion, though, that they didn't treat the first storey this way because it wouldn't hold up to closer scrutiny. Also, as AoD points out, who knows what it'll look like as the new paint ages and cracks. This is still a very bizarre reno.

Thanks for the clarification, adHominem and bmiller.

Oh dear, so they're quite literally painting new bricks over the existing white paint, which itself is painted over the brick? Suddenly this doesn't sound as good. I had thought they were peeling off the white paint to reveal less than perfect bricks, to which they were doing touchup paint.

Sounds like it'll fit into the "good from far but far from good" category.

Back