News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

650 Bay St Boutique Hotel Redevelopment (Lanterra, ?s, ?)

If a building can't be restored to it's original state, or at least something resembling the original structure, then I fail to see the value in preserving it. Unless of course there are unique features on the interior that I am unaware of that would merit heritage status. Otherwise, what is the point of keeping it if they are turning this into some concoction that doesn't address it's historic appearance? The property is more valuable to the developer if it could be simply torn down and a larger building constructed, a larger building might even be more suitable for the area at this point.

Like i have said before, this looks like a landlord that is destroying a structure beyond restoration, so in the future he gets the loot he wants from a developer and runs with it.
Bingo..no historical implications and to a builder the property value is worth much more. Scary:confused:

Like i have said before, this looks like a landlord that is destroying a structure beyond restoration, so in the future he gets the loot he wants from a developer and runs with it.
Bingo..no historical implications and to a builder the property value is worth much more. Scary:confused:

It's definitely disturbing, but when you hear of people fighting to save what looks like a building without architectural merit, remember what the owner is doing in cases like this one. Architectural stripping often leaves buildings looking unworthy of preservation later on, though they still are worth saving and restoring. If there are records of the original look of the building and people stand up for heritage preservation, degrading renovations might not achieve anything except cheapening an asset and forcing the owner to invest more in the future. As long as it's standing, everything can be restored. If it's structurally unsound it can be rebuilt to its original look. Even if it burns down or was demolished, it can be rebuilt, though it shouldn't come to that. Such manipulation should probably be scariest to the owner because he may have to restore it in the future.

(650 so -called boutique hotel)...i now believe it is all a conspiracy to hack the building beyond restoration, have it sold to a developer that wont have much problem getting a future demolition permit for that and the so and so converted houses next door.

Ring a bell?

July 2011 - p5connex wrote: "Whatever the case, heritage or not - they are doing such a poor job at everything and anything, that the building will most likely need to come down upon completion. My thoughts are that this is all deliberate - that this will eventually lead to the building coming down and the owners either selling or developing."

650brick.jpg

Next, they are going to paint over the windows and then paint them again with sky reflections and little glints.

This building is so increasingly bizarre it is beginning to take the form of performance art. If it re-opens, this hotel should be re-named the Kaufman or the Duchamp. Sidenote: there are actually brick pattern painting companies?

It looks like these guys have been brought in from Campbellford, ON to do this. Head office is in a town in Georgia. Georgia being the state in the US in this case, not the country in Eurasia.

This building is so increasingly bizarre it is beginning to take the form of performance art. If it re-opens, this hotel should be re-named the Kaufman or the Duchamp. Sidenote: there are actually brick pattern painting companies?

"ONLY $3 - $5 per sq/ft. ALL INCLUSIVE. It looks fabulous!" says their website...

It would be perfect if it were an art installation for Nuit Blanche... to be torn down as soon as possible afterwards.

Back