News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

525 University | ?m | Allied | ?

carrythezero

Member Bio
Reaction score
From Allied's March 2022 vision document on plans for their newly-acquired properties from Choice:

525 University is nearly full. With surplus land to the rear of the site, Allied sees a significant opportunity to intensify this property and will initiate rezoning later this year. Given the extraordinary location for bio-tech and life sciences users, significant intensification is feasible.​
Here is a nice photo from the Allied website. By Page + Steele in 1990. I've always been fond of this one.
525-University-scaled.jpg

525 University is nearly full. With surplus land to the rear of the site, Allied sees a significant opportunity to intensify this property and will initiate rezoning later this year. Given the extraordinary location for bio-tech and life sciences users, significant intensification is feasible.

The surplus land isn't huge........ (aerial pic, whole site)

1655482565421.png

I'm going to show the area of the land w/o the building, but also the non-tower portion on the east side:

1655482717068.png

The above would allow a ~6000ft2 addition to the tower levels.

Yeah, I also have a soft spot for the existing po-mo building. Back when I first started getting into urbanity and architecture, this was one that stood out for me as Uni Ave and Dundas was an area of downtown I frequented quite often.
Me too, i spent a lot of time across the street in Sick Kids, as a...kid, and I remember this building vividly and nostalgically.

This is really junky Po-Mo - probably even less original and interesting than the already generally bad crop here we have in this city. I wish they could just tear it down completely and replace it with far more intensive uses.

AoD

I'm more inclined to appreciate 'good' POMO than is Alvin..........

But I have to say, I'm with Alvin here, I don't see this as 'good' POMO.

I wouldn't miss it.

I focused on the idea of a simple expansion at the back based on Allied's choice of words, which to me, didn't imply wholesale demo; though a relatively small floorplate expansion without additional height would be challenging
to me, to make the numbers work.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with here.

Back