Toronto Quayside: The Western Curve | 242.5m | 70s | Dream | Alison Brooks

Highlighting the George Brown College entrance. From the Building 1A - SA docs:

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG

ZBA was updated here March '24 with a target of being approved at the June Council meetings. Renders below.

For these blocks the notable change is in height with buildings 1A and 1B seeing modest increases.

1716400728130.png

1716400359350.png

1716400401016.png

1716400432809.png

These next 3 are in black and white, I put that down to aA's influence as A of R ; they had to take the colour out somewhere..... LOL

1716400548450.png

1716400569042.png

1716400600320.png

@Paclo will be along with any other pertinent details in due course.

Link to the ZBA:

There should be rules about limiting the amount of unrealistic vegetation from renderings, or have a requirement to ensure that developers follow through on what is shown on the renderings.
Who would 'enforce' this and how? Using which legal mechanism? What's the 'punishment' for noncompliance? Who pays if the adjudicator loses?

Community forest? Not sure this even meets the definition of a "woods", but perhaps it might look closer to the renderings over a 20-50 yr time frame.🤷

Really like that one curvy irregular building! Hope the final result doesn't veer too far from the rendering (said with as straight a face as I can muster).

Who would 'enforce' this and how? Using which legal mechanism? What's the 'punishment' for noncompliance? Who pays if the adjudicator loses?
The city could update their terms of reference for renderings submitted as part of zoning applications. It would be pretty easy to refuse a submission that includes ferns growing out of the slab edges up the facade, or 60' tall birch trees planted in 0.8m deep soil cells on the roof of a podium.

The city could update their terms of reference for renderings submitted as part of zoning applications. It would be pretty easy to refuse a submission that includes ferns growing out of the slab edges up the facade, or 60' tall birch trees planted in 0.8m deep soil cells on the roof of a podium.
That's just a stupid idea. Plain and simple. You're actually advocating for this?

That's just a stupid idea. Plain and simple. You're actually advocating for this?
To clarify, I think submissions should be limited to what is being contemplated for constructed. For example, if they are going to plant mature trees as part of the initial works, then that should be acceptable to show in the renderings. I think its dishonest to show an unrealistic vision of the built form in an attempt to sway public opinion.

To clarify, I think submissions should be limited to what is being contemplated for constructed. For example, if they are going to plant mature trees as part of the initial works, then that should be acceptable to show in the renderings. I think its dishonest to show an unrealistic vision of the built form in an attempt to sway public opinion.
I agree with the meta point - if 'zoning' is about an invisible entitlement box, it should just be that, nothing more. I don't get why 'design' is imbued in something at that point (subjectively, I do, objectively, I don't).

There are ToR for that, and I think at a zoning stage it shouldn't go beyond this level of detail: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/8f6f-Appendix1_Views_AODA.pdf

I could understand that. Even better (though unrealistic, probably), would be renderings that show how the build is expected to evolve over time.

Back