Hamilton McMaster University: McLean Centre For Collaborative Discovery | ?m | 10s | McMaster University | Sweeny &Co

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

The McLean Centre for Collaborative Discovery, a new 10-storey, 190,000 sf expansion of the existing DeGroote Business School at McMaster University includes two floors of space that will support community engagement initiatives for the entire University. McMaster recognizes the need to offer environments that support the experiential learning, community engagement, academic and career needs of the student. Their approach focuses on interdisciplinary teaching that brings together students from all faculties in an interconnected learning hub to collaborate in real world, problem based discovery. The building will hold lecture halls, a new Innis Library, collaborative study areas, a trading floor, boardroom and office levels, media production labs, study halls, a feature stair creating social space, a hosting loft for events and dining including an outdoor terrace.

groote.JPG
groote2.jpg

Looks striking to me I like it. The business school's facilities are pretty outdated, so this would be a welcome refresh.

Now if only they took care of the Social Sciences and Humanities departments next, those facilities are downright embarrassing and stuck in the 1970s.

McMaster’s DeGroote School of Business in Hamilton receives $1M gift as it overhauls education delivery

Sept 29, 2021

McMaster University’s DeGroote School of Business in Hamilton has received a $1 million gift that will be used to build a new lab.

The KPMG Ignition Lab, funded by KPMG, will “embrace digital technology” and promote experiential learning among students.

“The idea to bring KPMG’s Ignition Lab to life at the DeGroote School of Business originated from our mutual deep roots in the local Hamilton community and our commitment to offering students a new way of embracing innovation and technology to learn about business,” said Ruth Todd, DeGroote School of Business graduate and regional managing partner for KPMG.

DeGroote is undergoing an overhaul in the way it offers undergraduate education, with fewer lecture halls and podiums and more open spaces that encourage interaction between students from different disciplines.

--------
The KPMG Ignition Lab will be a dedicated innovation, analytics, and advanced technology space housed within the new McLean Centre for Collaborative Discovery — a multi-storey addition to the DeGroote School of Business scheduled for completion in 2023.

Update from Aug 22, 2022, where they were in the process of demolishing the previous building on site:

Mac is putting all of their resources (money) into their new tower downtown - it was supposed to be done around now but it's a couple months behind, and they need it done ASAP. This project on the other hand, although needed, doesn't have anyone depending on its completion. The school of business can function as it has been until this is complete, grad students with nowhere to live is a much bigger issue. Once the tower is done I think we can expect this to start moving pretty quickly.

Mac is putting all of their resources (money) into their new tower downtown - it was supposed to be done around now but it's a couple months behind, and they need it done ASAP. This project on the other hand, although needed, doesn't have anyone depending on its completion. The school of business can function as it has been until this is complete, grad students with nowhere to live is a much bigger issue. Once the tower is done I think we can expect this to start moving pretty quickly.

This is true, I was downtown today and there were crews working away on the tower on a Sunday.

Back