News   Jul 24, 2024
 306     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 832     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 573     0 

222 Jarvis Street LEED retrofit (former Sears office building, 9s, WZMH).

Query if the goverment might be going to shut down the Jarvis Street courthouse, which is woefully inadequate, and maybe consolidate it and the College Park courts here. Anyone know when the government's lease at College Park is up?

That's an interesting theory. Call your local MPP and push that!

Grey - your post with pictures of strange buildings from all over to compare to 222 Jarvis is nevertheless unrelated to it, and is more suited to the World Architecture section, so it's now here.

I'd say that if you had stuck to other examples of brutalism in Toronto for comparison purposes, you'd have more of a case for it sticking around in this thread.

Most of Toronto's courthouses are an embarrassment and wildly insufficient, especially the ones in strip malls out in the suburbs. They should build new courthouses in the three city centres. As nice as it is to use Old City Hall, I've heard nothing but negative things from lawyers and judges. It would be much better if it weren't a criminal court, since the security is sub-par.

I believe the accused aren't too happy with it either, though I like the sombre and sedate air of gravitas that the design of the courtrooms imposes on the proceedings that take place therein. Talking of gravitas - when we were about fifteen our school class went on a tour of the law courts in The Strand and we briefly sat in on a case where - much to the surprise of our teacher - a pretty young blonde woman was giving evidence in a case about a man living off the avails of prostitution. Teacher ushered us out fairly quickly, though we ( the boys especially ) found it of considerable educational value.

Most of Toronto's courthouses are an embarrassment and wildly insufficient, especially the ones in strip malls out in the suburbs. They should build new courthouses in the three city centres. As nice as it is to use Old City Hall, I've heard nothing but negative things from lawyers and judges. It would be much better if it weren't a criminal court, since the security is sub-par.

Very true (although Osgoode is a gem). Compare with the beautiful and 3/4 empty new court house in Hamilton or very functional new court house in Brampton. Toronto gets screwed again.

Many of the courtrooms in the University Avenue courthouse are lovely in that late '60s unadorned teak panelling way. The biggest one has a really cool modernist take on the Royal Arms too boot. The whole building suffers from all the wear and tear from 40 years of people in and out though. And the round library is a gem.

Many of the courtrooms in the University Avenue courthouse are lovely in that late '60s unadorned teak panelling way. The biggest one has a really cool modernist take on the Royal Arms too boot. The whole building suffers from all the wear and tear from 40 years of people in and out though. And the round library is a gem.

I agree, although all of that white marble makes the whole place feel like a bathroom. The crown offices look like they haven't been updated in decades. 361 has some of the biggest courtrooms I've seen. I wonder why they made them so big.

I wasn't really referring to Osgoode and the big University Avenue courthouse (not the one in the office building), and your points are great, AP.

The province seems to be slowly and steadily replacing each county's outdated and scattered court facilities. Hamilton and Peel are definitely a model to follow. Waterloo Region has been waiting for its new courthouse for years. The Superior Court building is outrageously overcrowded, with only four courtrooms. I remember as a small child being told about this by my mother and then deciding that I wanted to design a new building. I did a whole bunch of drawings and plans, and I excitedly discovered later (when I learned more about world architecture) that what I had designed looked quite a lot like the Pirelli Building!

I agree, although all of that white marble makes the whole place feel like a bathroom. The crown offices look like they haven't been updated in decades. 361 has some of the biggest courtrooms I've seen. I wonder why they made them so big.

For big criminal trials. When there is something really big going on, they're packed to the rafters. Though once I had a motion in the biggest one - on the west end, with the big windows, and it was more than enough space for me and the crown and the Chief Justice to haggle about disclosure...

Marion MacRae, one of my OCA instructors, and Anthony Adamson's book Cornerstones of Order: Courthouses and Town Halls of Ontario 1784-1914 is a lively read - and well illustrated. Published by the Osgoode Society in the early 1980's I think.

It's about time the Ministry of Public Infrastructure Renewal got into the loft conversion game!

as if 42

I've never been to Pembroke but I love small town courthouses. Cayuga, Peterborough and Cobourg are some of my faves. I think both Cobourg and Peterborough double as municipal council chambers. The prevailing attiitude seems more collegial and common sense driven than here in Toronto.

Back