371     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 536     0 

2175 Sheppard Ave E (?,?,?)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Been told the site is to be redevelop with more office space and maybe a mix site.

This location is very well connected by car and transit. Honestly surprised it wasn't part of an earlier development in the area.

1589494806251.png

Picture from here: https://www.remic.ca/about-remic__trashed/2175-sheppard-office-building/

Located at s/e corner of Consumers Rd and Sheppard..

There's also the larger 150 Consumers Rd building just south of it, separated by the parking lot. If combined then it's a pretty substantial site to work with. As the area continues to intensify significantly with high-rise residential, it'll be good to some office and employment space added. It'll also reinforce the need for a future subway station at Consumers.

1589554214346.png

1589554161521.png

Last edited:
I honestly believe the Sheppard subway should go to Victoria Park. Just not any further. The amount of employment and residential density in Consumers is huge and is a huge missed opportunity for the line.

It's really a shame the initial phase was cut back by Harris back in the 90s. I imagine the line would have much better use today if it went even those few extra km.

Having a station at Vic Park will become increasingly important when the Lansing Square development materializes. It'll also encourage towards exploring future intensification of the Victoria Park Square mall and the other plaza type retail spaces on the other corners of the intersection.

I remember reading somewhere on the Toronto Subreddit that the Sheppard Bus Line is the busiest bus line in the TTC.

Since I can't find the post I don't know by what metric or whether it's true, but Sheppard is definitely one of the most busiest routes regardless. The Lansing Square Redevelopment, along with the assortment of new condos going up all the way to Warden really makes a compelling case for a Line 4 extension.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Food Basic Plaza at the North-West corner of Victoria Park/ Sheppard is redeveloped in the next decade, that corner is a huge chunk of land, although the Petro-Canada may be an issue.

Dufferin is the busiest route with 44,000 daily riders.

Finch West is a worthy contender with 42,500 daily riders, but that figure is pre-Spadina extension opening, so it has likely decreased substantially as many riders are now transferring to the Spadina Line.

Sheppard East receives 29,000 daily riders, which is significant, but typical for the east-west arterials. Lawrence West was near 40,000, and both Steeles routes were >30,000.

The true busiest bus corridor is actually Eglinton East, which is divided into numerous bus routes. While Eglinton East route is a mere 28,100 daily riders, Eglinton Station is also receiving buses from the Lawrence East (33,700), Flemingdon Park (15,100*), Leaside (3,800), Leslie (4,000) routes.

* - Only in PM hours, as in morning rush hour this route was diverted to the Danforth line. The Eglinton-Flemingdon route has recently been renamed as 34C Eglinton East, a branch of the Eglinton East line.

Dufferin is the busiest route with 44,000 daily riders.

Finch West is a worthy contender with 42,500 daily riders, but that figure is pre-Spadina extension opening, so it has likely decreased substantially as many riders are now transferring to the Spadina Line.

Sheppard East receives 29,000 daily riders, which is significant, but typical for the east-west arterials. Lawrence West was near 40,000, and both Steeles routes were >30,000.

The true busiest bus corridor is actually Eglinton East, which is divided into numerous bus routes. While Eglinton East route is a mere 28,100 daily riders, Eglinton Station is also receiving buses from the Lawrence East (33,700), Flemingdon Park (15,100*), Leaside (3,800), Leslie (4,000) routes.

* - Only in PM hours, as in morning rush hour this route was diverted to the Danforth line. The Eglinton-Flemingdon route has recently been renamed as 34C Eglinton East, a branch of the Eglinton East line.
I have trouble deciding if line 4's ridership should be combined with Sheppard East bus route to get a better picture of the corridor's numbers.

I am sure there would be many duplicates riders if you combined the two routes. Line 4's ridership on its own is probably a better indicator of the Sheppard East corridor's figures.

It depends how "local" the ridership is on the section east of Don Mills. If the majority are heading for Yonge, then it'd be closer to the 50k line 4 ridership.
This maybe incorrect, but I don't think it counts towards line 4 ridership if someone's to transfer from one bus route to another at Don Mills.

One of the reasons we have still have Sheppard East Bus overlapping w/Line 4 is that Willowdale Station was cut.

It should not have been.

That intersection and section of Sheppard is ripe for intensification; and for that matter, local NIMBYs aside, so is Willowdale itself, albeit and lesser densities than Sheppard.

If Willowdale were built an argument could be made for removing the bus service btw Don Mills and Yonge.

The only large gap on the line would be Leslie to Don Mills, which is roughly 1.5km; a mid-block stop there is rather hard to justify given the resulting short distances.

Though, if all the Sheppard-fronting land were upzoned, might be worth considering.

What irks me with this segment of Sheppard East around Consumers currently is that despite its relative proximity to Don Mills station, the area remains having an autocentric feel to it. The nuance with being at the final couple stops before reaching Don Mills when heading westbound, is that the bus will be pretty much full during rush hour type periods. Which will likely deter bus usage.

Walking over to the station is also an unthinkable option for majority of people, as the pedestrian experience across the 404 bridge, highway off/on ramps, and parking lot expanses of Fairview Mall on the northside, is extremely hostile.

Similarly, the future highrise clusters on Sheppard or in proximity to it around Victoria Park, Warden, and Kennedy will only further the need to have alternate transit options to serve east-west travels in that growing part of the city.

What irks me with this segment of Sheppard East around Consumers currently is that despite its relative proximity to Don Mills station, the area remains having an autocentric feel to it. The nuance with being at the final couple stops before reaching Don Mills when heading westbound, is that the bus will be pretty much full during rush hour type periods. Which will likely deter bus usage.

Walking over to the station is also an unthinkable option for majority of people, as the pedestrian experience across the 404 bridge, highway off/on ramps, and parking lot expanses of Fairview Mall on the northside, is extremely hostile.

Similarly, the future highrise clusters on Sheppard or in proximity to it around Victoria Park, Warden, and Kennedy will only further the need to have alternate transit options to serve east-west travels in that growing part of the city.

The Master Plan for the Consumers area will make it more grid-connected, with lots of new sidewalks/bikelanes and buildings closer to the street.

Removing the underground parking ramp from the middle of Sheppard would help and might come about if only because its in the direct path of the subway.

A rebuilt Sheppard here of 2 lanes each way with cycle tracks, no centre turning lane and wide pedestrian space is achievable.

Fixing the crossing of 404 is a tad more complex, but it can be ameliorated some by making all highway ramps come to a traffic light, with straight forward turning movements.

West of there, its still all about cutting lane numbers and improving the public realm and adding cycle tracks.

I would argue this should all be wrapped together in any eastward extension of the Subway to VP.

The project should narrow all of Sheppard between Bayview and VP to 2 lanes each way with cycletracks and good public realm space for pedestrians and build Willowdale Station, and the optional infill station near Shaughnessy Blvd could be considered contemporaneously.

Back