News   Sep 12, 2024
 213     0 
News   Sep 11, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Sep 11, 2024
 1K     0 

2024 United States presidential election

Goose tastes fine.

But it does have a slightly stronger flavour that today's domesticated turkey.

It compares to Duck, its not quite the same, some would argue it actually has a slightly beefy taste.

Winter Goose is quite fatty, while this can make it rich and flavourful, it can also be a grease bomb. It requires proper trimming and preparation, and if roasted, you will want will have to skim the jus/gravy quite a bit..

Summer Goose is actually fairly lean, and can and probably should be treated a bit like a lean steak. Grilled to medium rare. (You would just use the breast meat) .

Canada Goose, to my knowledge is not raised domestically for meat, but hunters can and do eat a fair bit each year.

Cooked Goose (not my photo)

View attachment 595497

Image source: https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ac5fad288f7a0df6d4786f7b169a8fd2-lq

Credit: Brock Pan-Yellow - user Quora
Fascinating. Sounds like the hassle in getting it right is likely where the problem lies. It's too much damn work, and therefore inconvenient to cook compared with mainstream poultry such as chicken and turkey. If goose is anything like duck, I can understand why - in my family we've had duck for dinner a handful of times over the decades, and it was always kind of complicated to cook, and the payoff just doesn't match the effort. It's too fatty. Therefore we never bother with it.

Fascinating. Sounds like the hassle in getting it right is likely where the problem lies. It's too much damn work, and therefore inconvenient to cook compared with mainstream poultry such as chicken and turkey. If goose is anything like duck, I can understand why - in my family we've had duck for dinner a handful of times over the decades, and it was always kind of complicated to cook, and the payoff just doesn't match the effort. It's too fatty. Therefore we never bother with it.

If goose were domesticated (agriculturally) and bred for purpose; and served in convenient form (ie. breasts, thighs etc separated); I think it would be fine. But its not.

In product innovation, one talks about the cost of 'educating the customer' and 'building the market'.

How much money sunk to get to the point where its profitable.

The answer is 'alot'.

That's not to say its not or can't be a good product..........but we're not there on convenience, price, or breeding.

Edit to add...... perhaps this tangent has now or should run its course..........we have a 'what's cooking' thread.......if anyone wants to discuss the merits of different cuisine, I will do my best to answer there. But let's move this thread back to the U.S. presidential election.

Last edited:

Back