News   Jul 10, 2024
 256     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 434     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.2K     1 

2024 Mississauga Mayoral Byelection Transit Plans

I was leaning toward Alvin Tedjo but the lack of mention for cycling made me vote for Carolyn Parrish instead.

If Alvin had mentioned cycling at all, I would have voted for him, despite the unhelpful rhetoric about 0% tax increases.

As a whole, the candidates platforms were not very good and I had to decide very quickly who to vote for at advance polling since I knew I'd be out of the country on voting day.

While I agree that Tedjo's platform wasn't super progressive in a traditional sense, the political climate of Mississauga makes running on a pro-bike lane and tax increase platform quite risky. He still would have had my vote if I lived in Mississauga.

While I agree that Tedjo's platform wasn't super progressive in a traditional sense, the political climate of Mississauga makes running on a pro-bike lane and tax increase platform quite risky. He still would have had my vote if I lived in Mississauga.

At least Carolyn mentioned bike lanes in her platform. Tedjo was completely silent on the matter. But I liked him talking about missing middle housing.

At least Carolyn mentioned bike lanes in her platform. Tedjo was completely silent on the matter. But I liked him talking about missing middle housing.

My impression of Tedjo on cycling is completely the opposite of yours.

I went to two debates in person. I also got to ask cycling-related questions directly to Dasko and Tedjo at separate events. Tedjo had the most concrete answers around cycling infrastructure: accelerating the implementation of the cycling plan. He also said he's asked staff to identify the top 50 gaps in the existing cycling infrastructure, I assume in his present capacity as a councillor.

Dasko's response was to point to the federal funding that's being put into cycling infrastructure in Lakeview. I noticed this was a tendency of his throughout the campaign: pointing to achievements at Lakeview as examples of how he would be as mayor. Of course a brownfield blank slate poses very different opportunities and challenges compared to running a whole city...

Damerla, meanwhile, took it upon herself to turn bike lanes on Bloor into a culture war wedge issue.

As some have already pointed out, Tedjo's tax freeze was a bad idea. Seemed to me like pandering to the propertied vote.

I appreciate @MiExpress post above, I think there's some reason for cautious optimism with Parrish. And the fact that Tedjo came in second also marks a major improvement over 2022, when David Shaw came in second.

Last edited:
My impresison of Tedjo on cycling is completely the opposite of mine.

I went to two debates in person. I also got to ask cycling-related questions directly to Dasko and Tedjo at separate events. Tedjo had the most concrete answers around cycling infrastructure: accelerating the implementation of the cycling plan. He also said he's asked staff to identify the top 50 gaps in the existing cycling infrastructure, I assume in his present capacity as a councillor.

Dasko's response was to point to the federal funding that's being put into cycling infrastructure in Lakeview. I noticed this was a tendency of his throughout the campaign: pointing to achievements at Lakeview as examples of how he would be as mayor. Of course a brownfield blank slate poses very different opportunities and challenges compared to running a whole city...

Damerla, meanwhile, took it upon herself to turn bike lanes on Bloor into a culture war wedge issue.

As some have already pointed out, Tedjo's tax freeze was a bad idea. Seemed to me like pandering to the propertied vote.

I appreciate @MiExpress post above, I think there's some reason for cautious optimism with Parrish. And the fact that Tedjo came in second also marks a major improvement over 2022, when David Shaw came in second.
It's unfortunate Tedjo didn't put that in his online platform. The vast majority don't attend debates.

Back