News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

2023 Toronto Mayoral by-election

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Inclusionary Zoning is needed in Toronto (and 905). No more hard exclusionary zoning. Have small commercial retail, restaurants, bars, parks, residential, schools, etc. next to each other, so we can walk (oh the horror) around instead of driving around...

Planning decisions made in the 2000s are now one full generation ago. Young people born in 2005 have now reached adulthood. The St Lawrence Market project is almost as close in time to the First World War as it is to the present year.

I said yesteryear which means in the past, not specifically one generation ago; and in point of fact, the statement, I think, obviously implies a set of policies different to those currently in effect. Most planning policies in effect today date from post-2000, so self evidently a comparison to a different set of planning regulations means one from prior to that date.

If there are no restrictions based on aesthetics, why does the City often recommend against approval because a proposal doesn't fit the existing neighbourhood context?

Neighbourhood context typically refers to massing, and relative size, (though may also speak to usage etc.); those are not 'aesthetic considerations' they are not about colour, material type, or building style broadly speaking, they are about building scale, which is a functional and objectively measurable characteristic, where preferred colour is not.

That's an aesthetic choice.

I am also going to disagree that the angular plane is not an arbitrary aesthetic preference.

You are wrong. Please, lets deal in facts. Yes, there are other ways to protect privacy and access to light. However, the angular plane is one means of achieving these. The angular plane is not to make a building pretty, which is what aesthetics refers to. Its a means of addressing 'performance standards'. Again, there are other ways to do this.

Many places in the world do not have angular planes, yet their cities adequately support green spaces as well as human health and happiness.

Most cities in the world do in fact have zoning and planning restrictions; and I have no idea where you get the notion they do not. Zoning in Paris is very rigid and prescriptive, indeed moreso than Toronto, and this is true of many other places.

When you look at those cities you'll generally find much lower height requirements, go try building anything in Paris taller than 8s outside of Le Defense and inside the Peripherique, good luck to you!

You'll also find other restrictions such as required court yards, and buildings where units have windows on to the courtyard and the street.

Note, however, this means many, if not most of those units are inaccessible (no elevators, 4-6s walk-up. There are challenges adopting that built form.

Planning concepts like neighbourhood context, transitions to low-rise neighbourhoods, adequate pedestrian scale, and massing are also aesthetic preferences and not supported by any scientific objectivity.

They are preferences, they are not aesthetic and no matter how often you misuse that word, its meaning will not change. Also, there is research supporting pedestrian-scaling, not only based on nearly global preferences, but based on things like wind conditions.

I am very concerned with the cumulative effect of the City negotiating down the size of proposals through all these various tactics--neighbourhood context, angular planes, transitions to neighbourhoods, etc. Over 200 potential units were lost in Mirvish Village alone before it was approved. Over the last two decades the City must have been directly responsible for thousands of units less that could have been built at the margin, enabling more affordable, deeply affordable, supportive, and family-sized housing.

This City is among the densest on the planet, and already the second most dense in the U.S. and Canada; its undergoing the largest building boom in its history and is building at heights that are unprecedented, what gets approved here would not get approved almost anywhere else.

As you say, there are broader structural factors at work, but I just don't see why when something is coming up for a zoning or official plan bylaw amendment, city staff aren't pushing for more height, more units, more density, rather than negotiating everything downwards.

Are you privy to private discussions between Planners and developers? I am, from both sides. While I will say, it is unusual for Planning to specifically suggest greater density than a proponent is asking for, it has actually happened, multiple times.

Almost always at the pre-application stage.

But again, when proposals are extremely dense by both Toronto and global standards, its illogical to assume planning would press for more.

Which, by the way, wouldn't lower the price of any unit in this city by so much as $1, because demand continues to out pace supply, and its demand that must be curtailed, because the industry is physically incapable of building significantly more in any given year, nor would they, even if they could, if it resulted in lower returns on investment.

That's something I'd like to see candidates express support for, and with the new mayoral powers to appoint senior staff, it's also an organizational change that could happen as an outcome of the election.

No thanks.

Last edited:
Aesthetics has a broader meaning than just the surface treatment, but I think we've both laid out our stance on that. To me, it is absolutely an aesthetic and subjective planning decision, for example, that Avenues must transition to Neighbourhoods.

Regarding density, absolutely, parts of the city are incredibly dense, but the corollary is that there are vast areas with low density single family homes that have been untouchable, prevented from even very moderate density increases by city policy. Hopefully that is changing soon, but it cannot be ignored that that has been the status quo for generations now, despite many residential neighbourhoods having lower populations now than they did in the 1970s. Look at most of midtown, where many post-WWII bungalows are being replaced by large single family homes that but for policy could easily have been duplexes or triplexes, or even larger.

The broader approach I am coming from is that the demand for new residents to come to Toronto is an unalloyed good thing. Allowing more construction, density, and diverse city-life in Toronto improves the city and its economy and also reduces pressure on Ontario's environment and farmland. However, growth in Toronto has been limited compared to surrounding regions, and again, it's a failure of planning policy that is causing farmlands, forests, and wetlands to be converted to subdivisions and locking people in Ontario, to a greater extent than would be otherwise, into car-dependent lifestyles that cause increase pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and other negative externalities.

Just to pick a building at random, 859 The Queensway began as a 14 story building with 228 units in 2017. It was finally approved in 2021 at 11 stories and 187 units, a reduction of 41 units. Is fighting more housing for those four years really the right course of action to take? What did the City really achieve with the time and effort spent? How many of those potential residents are now going to live outside Toronto in a new subdivision or similar instead? I would love to see a municipal politics that takes the city in a new direction.

I love how all the candidates so far have chosen to not discuss or completely ignore the TTC service reductions that are planned for May and just in time for construction season. Part of the blame also lies with the TTC, it's gotten rotten there with manipulating ridership data and hiding other info from the board and council.

Last edited:

April 13, 2023​
Premier Doug Ford
Legislative Building
Queen's Park
Toronto ON M7A 1A1
Re: Protecting the Science Centre to support Thorncliffe, Flemingdon Park and the Don Mills Area
Dear Premier Ford,
I am requesting that your government reconsider moving the Ontario Science Centre to Ontario Place and meet with parent groups and community leaders in Thorncliffe, Flemingdon Park and the wider Don Mills area. Community members have shared with me serious concern about this plan. The Science Centre delivers programs to young people in these underserved neighbourhoods, and is an important part of a burgeoning cultural district that includes the Aga Khan Museum.
The Science Centre offers many programs that introduce and engage young people in STEM fields, which I know is a priority for your government. The Youth-for-Youth (Y4Y) Innovation Program provides Grade 7 and 8 students an opportunity to learn about the many professionals and apprentices who keep the Science Centre running, including individuals with expertise in science, technology, engineering, math and skilled trades. The Science Centre also offers a Science School for Grade 12 students with special interest in Science and Math that allows youth to earn high school credits.
The Science Centre ensures that all residents from the surrounding neighbourhoods have the ability to participate and learn through the Community Access program, which offers free and reduced passes to engage equity deserving groups with a particular focus in engaging Indigenous Peoples and children that have just arrived in Canada.​
And, importantly, the Science Centre serves as an important economic driver of this community by bringing visitors from across the city and around the world to Don Mills and Eglinton. It would be a serious blow to this community to lose the Science Centre just as the opening of the Eglinton Crosstown’s “Science Centre” station is about to make the attraction more accessible to the entire city.
We understand and support the need for housing and other community amenities such as daycare on this site, and strongly encourage the planned redevelopment of the parking lots. But that work does not preclude the importance of retaining the Science Centre in this area of the city and the potential to make it a more vibrant attraction at its current home.
Thank you for your consideration of the local communities that would be impacted by this decision.
Sincerely,

Josh Matlow​
Cc: Hon Neil Lumsden, Minister of Tourism, Culture, and Sport​

Was there a poll done on this? I can't imagine this is an election issue people are beating down his doors about.

Last edited:
It might be a bit early in this long campaign, but I refuse to spend two months wasting my time pondering whatever nonsense the right-wing and/or Tory-supporting candidates come up with. Olivia Chow might decide to run, but Matlow remains the only candidate I would even consider voting for. I said so to his team when they canvassed my building earlier this week, and I made a contribution.

Back