News   Mar 28, 2024
 498     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

2018 Ontario PC Leadership Race

Who do you think will win the PC leadership race (not who do you support)?

• Patrick Brown

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Christine Elliott

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Doug Ford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Granic Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caroline Mulroney

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who said she hasn't?

@NEWSTALK1010
Former PC leader Tim Hudak tells @MooreintheAM Doug Ford SHOULD run for leadership. Hudak sees a chance at victory for Ford without a candidate representing anti-establishment, libertarian, smaller government faction #onpoli #pcpo

Sigh. If a crime has occurred, call police, not the media.

What's scary about the Randy Hillier allegation is that it would probably be Roy Moore 2.0. Hillier is a diety of the heavily influential rural landowners associations and could very well win as an Independent.

Why? The police have proven to be useless when it comes to sexual assault and "using the media" has been more effective.
Proven? Where’s the proof that police are useless?

There are over 43,000 names on Canada’s National Sex Offenders Registry, or one in about 800 people in Canada, so the police must be arresting someone? Perhaps instead of police, your beef is with the justice system entirely? What’s your beef specifically with the police? Sometimes the biggest useless factor in pursuing legal justice is with the witnesses, as we saw with Gnomeshi, I’m amazed today the public isn’t outraged about how those witnesses corrupted a sure conviction and reduced the public’s faith in the justice system through their collusion, ommision and disception.

And, how is using the media working? Brown, for example just got out of a career-ending election he was going to lose badly, he’s likely keeping his MPP job, and the two anonymous accusers have damaged the public’s perception of the seriousness of sexual assault. Brown, by the allegations, did not assault anyone. But, if Brown is truly a bad guy, by never reporting a crime to police he’ll never face justice, may offend again, and the mob’s memory is short.

Can you imagine in the Nasser case in the USA, if instead of going to police, all those hundred or so female athletes just went to the media and added their voices to the #metoo pile on? Nasser would still be on the streets today, and with so many people facing allegations, he’d be forgotten in a year or less, and likely still practicing. There’s nothing wrong with going to the media as well - in Nasser’s case it was an initial allegation to the media that sparked the police action, but if you stop just at the media, and refuse the police, the bad guys still walk.

Look at Harvey Weinstein, right now he’s at retirement age in some villa drinking wine, likely with a paid companion at his side, spending his millions. Sure, maybe he can’t work in Hollywood anymore, but he’s 65, retired, has his money and his liberty. How does going to the media but forgoing the police equal justice in that case.

Last edited:
Ford. From his mum's basement, no less. I almost crashed my car, laughing, when I heard it on the radio. I thought it must be a joke. From his mum's basement? Leadership material right there.
Hudak might be happy, but I don't think it's going to play well with the vast majority of party members.
Because of this, I'm willing to put my money on a Liberal majority after the election....if only I could find a bookie's taking this bet.

Ford. From his mum's basement, no less. I almost crashed my car, laughing, when I heard it on the radio. I thought it must be a joke. From his mum's basement? Leadership material right there.
Hudak might be happy, but I don't think it's going to play well with the vast majority of party members.
Because of this, I'm willing to put my money on a Liberal majority after the election....if only I could find a bookie's taking this bet.

If Thug is indeed running, one would think that winning the PC leadership would be electoral suicide by the party. However, in a world in which seemingly intelligent, educated people vote in large numbers for utter dullards such as Rob Ford and Donald Trump, I'm not so sure that it's impossible. Doug Ford becoming PC leader and then premier would be the ultimate doomsday scenario. Toronto (well, the real Toronto, ie, the old city) would be bent over and forced to take it with a mixture of sand and vaseline for 4 years. I don't think the city would recover in our lifetimes. It would make the Harris years seem like a cakewalk.

I sometimes make bets based on optimism. I'm willing to wager on him not winning anything.
I sometimes win these bets. :)

If Thug is indeed running, one would think that winning the PC leadership would be electoral suicide by the party. However, in a world in which seemingly intelligent, educated people vote in large numbers for utter dullards such as Rob Ford and Donald Trump, I'm not so sure that it's impossible. Doug Ford becoming PC leader and then premier would be the ultimate doomsday scenario. Toronto (well, the real Toronto, ie, the old city) would be bent over and forced to take it with a mixture of sand and vaseline for 4 years. I don't think the city would recover in our lifetimes. It would make the Harris years seem like a cakewalk.

Not a fan of his demeanor and surely he could be as crooked as the Liberals who need a TO. But what are you so scared of for Toronto? That DRL might get actually funded? Even the Downtown Streetcar/bicycle fanatics on council wont have to worry about him as Mayor for their pilot projects? Im not a fan of him as a person but don't see the doomsday scenario that some get overly worked up about. And aside from having to listen to him, I could see it helping Toronto long term by vastly improving our subway network thru Scarborough and much needed relief for the Yonge Line. Get that straightened around, put the Liberals in the penalty box for 4-8 years and move forward. Not so bad.

Last edited:
Not a fan of his demeanor and surely he could be as crooked as the Liberals who need a TO. But what are you so scared of for Toronto? That DRL might get actually funded? Even the Downtown Streetcar/bicycle fanatics wont have to worry about him as Mayor for their pilot projects? Im not a fan of him as a person but don't see the doomsday scenario that some get overly worked up about. And aside from having to listen to him, I could see it helping Toronto long term

Honestly? I'd fear Toronto quite literally would not be the same city when he's done; that he'd play with boundaries (annex York Region for example) or change the city to party based elections (including whip) + strong mayor/executive.

We struggle to get stuff done with minor variations in council makeup; imagine massive swings every 4 years.

Last edited:

Back