News   Mar 28, 2024
 433     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 304     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 324     0 

2018 Ontario PC Leadership Race

Who do you think will win the PC leadership race (not who do you support)?

• Patrick Brown

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Christine Elliott

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Doug Ford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Granic Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caroline Mulroney

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

animatronic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Discussion on the upcoming snap PC leadership election is getting scattered around a few related forums (e.g., the Wynne election thread, Doug Ford), so here's a place to cover the leadership race and party vote.

Final Slate:
- Patrick “Mulligan” Brown
- Christine "3rd Time’s a Charm" Elliott
- Doug “Make Etobicoke Great Again” Ford
- Tanya “All up in the butt” Granic Allen
- Caroline “I pick my parents well” Mulroney

Confirmed Out:
- Rod "paperboy" Phillips
- Maxime "dairy board" Bernier
- Tony “gazebos for all” Clement
- Vic “I didn’t leak nothin’ about Brown to nobody” Fedeli
- Lisa "not really my gig" MacLeod
- Monte “warm tapioca” McNaughton
- Alex "driven a Ford lately" Nuttall
- Erin "Mr. 905" O'Toole
- Lisa “team Scheer4now” Raitt
- John “got a good thing going” Tory

Last edited:
From your title "What Can Brown Do For You"? Not much, Fedeli says he won't sign Brown's nomination papers. Depending on when they have to be signed and when the party can conjure up a leadership vote, it will be 'citizen Brown', and the answer would be 'not much'.

A part of my brain is still suspicious of the timing of these allegations.

Doug Ford knows he likely loses badly if he takes on Tory. He is also rather toxic with the PC base, much like we saw with the damage he did to the CPC in the last election. I think he makes a lot of noise, but doesn't go for it. Plus. his late brother was accused of a number of things, including beating his wife. That isn't great given why Brown is no longer leader.

I'm wondering who'll be the SoCon standard-bearer, or the "inheritor" of that vote.

I think they should give it up to Mulroney, to be honest.

For no other reason than for fresh air in terms of a political neophyte. I mean when your options include Fedeli and Ford......you may as well. Just go for it.

Doug Ford knows he likely loses badly if he takes on Tory. He is also rather toxic with the PC base, much like we saw with the damage he did to the CPC in the last election. I think he makes a lot of noise, but doesn't go for it. Plus. his late brother was accused of a number of things, including beating his wife. That isn't great given why Brown is no longer leader.

Don't the PCs have a weighted voting system by riding? Signing up half of Etobicoke and Scarborough won't win him the leadership. Not to mention they'll be little to no time to sign up members anyway.

Fedeli says he won't sign Brown's nomination papers. .
That's a terrible move. He's not been accused of a crime. On what justification does Fedeli not sign Brown's papers? Two anonymous and untested allegations? If the means test is a man has a female accompany him to his place, he makes a move, is shotdown and listens to the female, ending the encounter, then every man is at risk. What will Fedeli say when the mob comes for him?

I think they should give it up to Mulroney, to be honest.

For no other reason than for fresh air in terms of a political neophyte. I mean when your options include Fedeli and Ford......you may as well. Just go for it.
I don't think Mulroney will even run for the same reason that Kathleen Wynne is running.

With Wynne, Liberals figured that they have no chance of winning based on their record. If they put a new leader in place, they would likely still lose and just tarnish the name of the new person. For the PC's, if they believe there is a real chance that they don't win, I don't think they would tarnish the name a a fresh new leader - this is even more true if they expect a minority government and another election in a couple of years.

Don't the PCs have a weighted voting system by riding? Signing up half of Etobicoke and Scarborough won't win him the leadership. Not to mention they'll be little to no time to sign up members anyway.
The PC's have some rule that a leadership candidate must be endorsed by at least 100 Party members, with no more than 10 per riding. This is an easy enough threshold to meet. It also says the PC Executive can pass other rules pertaining to the leadership race. I imagine they will add some other requirement, such as for an MPP endorsement as well, so they can control the numbers of participants.

The PC's have some rule that a leadership candidate must be endorsed by at least 100 Party members, with no more than 10 per riding. This is an easy enough threshold to meet. It also says the PC Executive can pass other rules pertaining to the leadership race. I imagine they will add some other requirement, such as for an MPP endorsement as well, so they can control the numbers of participants.
The vote itself is weighted so each riding gets a maximum of 100 votes. So it doesn't matter if DoFo signs up a million Torontonians - province wide support is needed.

This is in the party Constitution and does not appear took be an item for executive discretion

The vote itself is weighted so each riding gets a maximum of 100 votes. So it doesn't matter if DoFo signs up a million Torontonians - province wide support is needed.

This is in the party Constitution and does not appear took be an item for executive discretion
Agree. I don't think Ford will win the leadership race because of the riding weighting method.
The question is whether he will run, or even be allowed to run. I don't think he will be banned personally, but the rules may be set in such a way that he can't run.

Agree. I don't think Ford will win the leadership race because of the riding weighting method.
The question is whether he will run, or even be allowed to run. I don't think he will be banned personally, but the rules may be set in such a way that he can't run.
There's also the tricky thing about needing his money. Brown was good at keeping Doug locked in the closet and only brought out for fundraising with candidates. Him running directly would disrupt that.

Back