News   Jul 16, 2024
 202     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 956     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

2018 Ontario PC Leadership Race

Who do you think will win the PC leadership race (not who do you support)?

• Patrick Brown

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Christine Elliott

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • Doug Ford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Granic Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Caroline Mulroney

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Both, and I think you're ignoring the fact that many progressives are also displeased with the federal government's recent track record on climate change.

You're also cherry picking Harper's record, conveniently ignoring a whole bunch of other factors contributing to displeasure with his administration's record on climate change.

BurlOak is just doing his usual partisan hack shtick for the Conservatives. What else is not new?

@BurlOak, just to be clear, some of us (like me, for example) don't view any of Chretien, Martin, Harper, or Trudeau positively on climate change. In fact, my view of both their parties is so dim as to be in serious need of a good number of LEDs.

Wynne just needs to sit back, keep quiet and let this happen.

I'm not so sure she can just sit back. Current polling seems to indicate that dropping Brown has helped the Tories. However, this mess with Brown and the nominations issues will certainly hinder their ability to prepare for the campaign. Wynne is a smart campaigner, and I'm sure she'll be able to take full advantage of the situation.

I'm really disappointed at the state of the leadership campaign so far. The Liberals need a break, and I was hoping for a viably electable progressive option with a little more fiscal responsibility. It's not turning out that way so far. For the long term health of the party, the PCs really need to do whatever is necessary to shed their social conservative baggage, even if it means some short term pain.

I now fully regret my opposition to the mixed member proportional representation system proposed and voted on years ago.

I don't think the average person cares about nomination issues, except for maybe in the ridings in question.

That's political inside baseball.

I don't think it's so much about people caring about the nomination issues. It's more about the party being able to prepare for and mount an effective campaign when the time they would normally use for that preparation is bogged down with a leadership campaign and riding nominations.

lol. I wouldn't describe myself as a fiscal conservative. I do think though that absent a truly centrist government, alternating periodically between fiscally left and right is needed to keep things balanced.

But what is underpinning that notion? The Liberals brought the budget to balance and the Tories (at least in their previous, Brown-era platform) weren't committing to the same.

But what is underpinning that notion? The Liberals brought the budget to balance and the Tories (at least in their previous, Brown-era platform) weren't committing to the same.

You're right. We don't know yet what the conservatives will be promising budget-wise. We've accumulated a lot of debt though, and the interest payments on it are impacting our ability to deliver services. Personally I'd like to see the government put some effort into reducing that debt rather than waiting for inflation to take care of it for them. I'm certainly not going to vote for a social conservative to get to that, and I'm not going to vote for someone who wants to take things too far to the right to accomplish it. I will continue to vote Liberal to prevent either of those situations from occurring. IMO though, the Liberals need a time-out to get their own house in order (they've been in power for a long time now), and we need a government who will use the current booming economy to set us up for when things turn sour again. I'd vote Green if I thought they had a hope in hell of winning my riding, but absent a renewed effort to get proportional representation I don't see myself voting for a party that has no chance of winning.

You're right. We don't know yet what the conservatives will be promising budget-wise. We've accumulated a lot of debt though, and the interest payments on it are impacting our ability to deliver services. Personally I'd like to see the government put some effort into reducing that debt rather than waiting for inflation to take care of it for them. I'm certainly not going to vote for a social conservative to get to that, and I'm not going to vote for someone who wants to take things too far to the right to accomplish it. I will continue to vote Liberal to prevent either of those situations from occurring. IMO though, the Liberals need a time-out to get their own house in order (they've been in power for a long time now), and we need a government who will use the current booming economy to set us up for when things turn sour again. I'd vote Green if I thought they had a hope in hell of winning my riding, but absent a renewed effort to get proportional representation I don't see myself voting for a party that has no chance of winning.

Except there is almost 0% chance that the PCs will tackle Ontario's debt. They will go for service cuts to fund tax cuts and leave the debt / structural deficits in place.

Except there is almost 0% chance that the PCs will tackle Ontario's debt. They will go for service cuts to fund tax cuts and leave the debt / structural deficits in place.

That may or may not be the case. My statements have nothing to do with what I expect from the PC party. I was just expressing a belief that I think it's time for a government change and what I would, and would not like to see in that government. If I don't see what I want coming from the PCs then I will vote Liberal again.

I now fully regret my opposition to the mixed member proportional representation system proposed and voted on years ago.

While that's a shame (that you voted against, not that you feel regret for doing so) you should feel nowhere as bad as Trudeau should be feeling (he isn't, of course) for lying to the nation about electoral reform at the federal level.

It's hard to get self-interested and self-important people to treat others fairly (by giving them a voice) if it means that it will prevent them from being able to rely on absolute majorities with a minority of votes....because, of course, that is the pinnacle of democracy right there. 35% of the electorate imposing their will on the rest.
Seems legit. o_O

Last edited:

Back