News   Apr 24, 2024
 913     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 607     0 

2015 Federal Election

I am a fan of what he has accomplished to date, which is pretty impressive. Was never really taken with him otherwise. Am very interested to see how he'll do as PM.
He surprised me as a candidate....really hoping he surprises me as a PM

I think what will happen by end of year is that thousands will have been resettled in Canada, and the Liberals will say that the wheels are in motion to bring in the rest of the 25,000. As long as people are arriving, I am not sure that many will quibble over weeks.
That is true...but, again, he new the dates so if it was impossible to do...he should not have promised to do it....again, though, as of last night on CTV he says he fully intends to have 25k on the ground here by year end.

I'm about ready to puke at the adoration -- oh look, Americans think he's sexy, he's a great dancer, Maggie is enjoying the spotlight again ....

BREAKING | This just in...Justin Trudeau is a Bhangra dancer

For more celebrity Trudeau news please tune in to the Star.

Last edited:
I mainly voted Liberal so that my incumbent CPC MP could lose, but it turned out that strategic voting wasn't needed.

Though there *are* plenty of cases where, had the "anti-Harper deadlock" endured, the Cons could have prevailed. Like re Joe Oliver, even in loss he did better than half the Quebec victors and a third of BC victors--imagine if Andrew Thomson actually succeeded in punching at a 20th percentile weight...

Yes, there were indeed cases where strategic voting was needed. NDP voters turned out to be some of the softest support this time.

Last edited:
It isn't just the Canadian media though. The US media is doing it too.

Especially the US media. Judging by the pathetic joke that is their presidential race, Americans treat politics like its some sort of entertainment or reality show, so its no surprise that their interest in our new PM is almost entirely because of his good looks and f*kability (yes someone actually said that).

Last edited:
Yeah, you're completely missing the point I was making. Your comments are directed at the capacity of the Government of Canada, whether you think they are or not, unless you seem to think Trudeau was talking about taking a plane over to Moscow and challenging him to a fight. And the points you are making are simply emphasizing why your "LOL" comment was so bizarre, mostly because you still fail to answer the basic question which is, if you think the comment was so hilarious, what else do you expect him to have said? And more importantly, why would he have said it? I don't think you're a Harper fanboy (whatever that is - I have no idea as to your political leanings and I wouldn't make assumptions), and I have no idea what you mean by my "enthusiasm" for Trudeau (don't make assumptions about how I voted). Anyway, I'm done with this conversation, as it is not really going anywhere.
The question shouldn't what do I except him to have said, it's why did he say it in the first place? If Canada is on the government of Ukraine's side then I wouldn't have created a false illusion that by "standing up" to Putin I could accomplish something. In my humble opinion paying lip service to a cause falls short of "standing up" for it. With that being said, my main concern for Ukraine is not whether the good people of Donetsk get the privilege of being ripped off by either Russian or American/Western tycoons, but it's that the fighting stops. I'm neither Ukrainian nor Russian but I am of Slavic ethnicity and in 20 years after the war has ended, I can tell you that most Russians and Ukrainians, given the historical ties between the two peoples (the first Russian state was Kievan Rus and the two peoples were one over 1000 years ago), will not understand why there was bloodshed today.

Anyone else getting tired of the Toronto Star's celebration and adoration of Trudeau and the end of Harper? You'd think we'd just overthrown a murderous tyrant.
What do you expect? It's the Star. I stopped reading it after their Sports section went down the drain. Although virtually all newspapers are somewhat biased and do have a political leaning, I find the Globe and Mail and National Post to be of higher quality. Nonetheless the National Post, now and then, runs ridiculous editorials (I remember one in 2009 saying how the corporate tax rate should be 0 % because corporations are "job creators").

I'm about ready to puke at the adoration -- oh look, Americans think he's sexy, he's a great dancer, Maggie is enjoying the spotlight again ....

I'm jaded though because I've never been a fan, although I did hold my nose when it came to voting. It's the honeymoon phase, hopefully we can get down to business and see how he runs a country, because I really don't care about his dancing skills. Or his hair.
Agreed and this honeymoon phase reminds of Obama's victory in 2008. But it all comes down to image based campaigning instead of anything substantial. In the past 3 elections the Liberals didn't have that strength as Martin reminded everybody of the sponsorship scandal and the rich Bay St. Liberals, Dion was wimp and Ignatieff came across as an arrogant academic elitist (although people who have met him have told me he's nothing like that in person). Harper recognized this and used his reputation as a "good economic manager" and pragmatist to convince the voters he's the best man for the job, despite coming across as a humourless stiff with no charisma. Enter Trudeau, a young good looking guy who can dance and is generally liked by the people he meets. He would have been a fool not to use his image against Harper.

Being a fiscal conservative and allergic to debt, I, personally, don't like Trudeau running another deficit so I wouldn't have voted for him but I agree I wish him all the best since he's our PM now.

Will Justin Trudeau join a long line of LIbEralS who've promised the world and delivered a colony?

Oh and I voted. Guess who.

Well you predicted that Harper was easily gonna win, just like you were convinced that Rob Ford would be re-elected as mayor, so...

Back