News   Aug 13, 2024
 346     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 506     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.1K     2 

2015 Federal Election

I knew it wouldn't be long before you came back to start another race diatribe. While you're at it, please kindly remind us again why John Tory supporters are racist too.
Don't bother. He hasn't even proven how Harper himself is racist. Harper's position against Muslims, the niqab and Syrian migrants could certainly be interpreted as stereotypical, discriminatory and intolerant, but there's nothing about race in any of that. In fact, a better criticism and label for Harper are the above three - none of which are positive attributes in a PM. An unfounded label of racist simply dilutes otherwise good and accurate monikers above.

Many of Harper's supporters are from new immigrant communities, and IMO, despite his "old stock Canadians" comment Harper is not anti-immigrant at all, regardless of the race of the applicants.

Harper isn't racist, he's just trying to captialize on racism in Canada, especially in Quebec. In other words, he's just being a politician, trying to separate himself from NDP and Liberals.

As for Muslim-bashing not being about race, don't delude yourself. This isn't about Albanians or any other white Muslims. It's not about old stock Europeans, it about people from Arab countries. In Europe also, the Islamaphobia is supposedly about "defending Christian values" but we all know it's actually about race. Again, don't delude yourself.

As for Muslim-bashing not being about race, don't delude yourself. This isn't about Albanians or any other white Muslims. It's not about old stock Europeans, it about people from Arab countries. In Europe also, the Islamaphobia is supposedly about "defending Christian values" but we all know it's actually about race. Again, don't delude yourself.
I get all that, but that doesn't make Harper a racist.

Harper isn't racist,
Of course he's racist. How can you be an unapologetic Rob Ford supporter and not be racist.

... he's just trying to captialize on racism in Canada, especially in Quebec.
Actively capitalizing on racism, is racist.

If well known Tory politicians are calling Harper's campaign racist, I'm surprised anyone here would suggest otherwise.

It's almost as though some people feel it's worse to call someone out for racism than it is to be racist in the first place. How about we stop tiptoeing around the issue? Of course the Conservatives are racist. So are the Liberals, and the NDP, and the Greens. (And the Bloc, worst of all.) We're all affected by unconscious biases rooted in a history of institutional racism and structural inequality along racial lines. The relevant question is whether we're doing anything to fix the underlying issues, whether the policies we support are making the lives of racialized people better or worse. Looking at the leader of a party that is consistently advancing policies that further marginalize people who are already marginalized, why wouldn't you call him racist? If that's not sufficient to call someone out for racism, what is?

A happy electorate doesn't do this.
Aside from anything else....it just elevates my level of confusion over advanced polls...I have never understood them....maybe I lead a dull life but I can't imagine there are 3.6million Canadians that will be just too busy to vote next monday when (due to the increased number of polling stations) the lineups will likely be shorter anyway. It means nothing, really, but I just don't understand the number of people who flock to advanced polls (have used them once...because I was going to be out of the country on election day....but that can't be the reason so many people gave up time on their holiday/family weekend to vote...can it?)

A happy electorate doesn't do this.

I think you also need to factor in the increased push for advanced voting by the three parties. I've noticed in the last few attention cycles a much stronger push by local candidates to try and get voters in the booths as soon as possible.

Back