News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 850     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

It will be interesting to see whether or not Soknacki leaving the race gives Chow's campaign a breath of life. I know there was a poll which noted voters' second-choice if their candidate dropped out. Does anyone have the Soknacki supporters' numbers?

Last edited:
It would seem more likely that more of his supporters would gravitate to Tory than Chow on basis of where they sit on the political spectrum (maybe 80-20)? None to Ford.

If anything, Soknacki just guaranteed Tory the election if everything remains equal from here on until election night.

Anyone on the center, center-right, or "Anyone But Ford" camps will naturally flock to John Tory, and any progressives supporting Soknacki over Chow probably are not inspired by Chow's campaign in the first place. Ford's absolute ceiling is 30% while Tory should be comfortably over 33% now.

It would seem more likely that more of his supporters would gravitate to Tory than Chow on basis of where they sit on the political spectrum (maybe 80-20)? None to Ford.

Again, I think the only sign of Soknacki being a conservative candidate was that he said he was back in the beginning of the race. He apparently said to David Hains today that he was stunned by how progressive his platform turned out when he stepped back and looked at it. I think a lot of disgruntled progressives went toward him & can be won back by Chow.

Daniel Dale ‏@ddale8 46s
In Forum poll coming out tomorrow, Chow gained most in then-hypothetical 3-way race without Soknacki, but only a minor impact.

Again, I think the only sign of Soknacki being a conservative candidate was that he said he was back in the beginning of the race. He apparently said to David Hains today that he was stunned by how progressive his platform turned out when he stepped back and looked at it.

That's what happens when you listen to experts, academics, and the like. Soknacki's platform was superbly rational, and it's basically impossible to come up with a conservative platform if you do that.

Again, I think the only sign of Soknacki being a conservative candidate was that he said he was back in the beginning of the race. He apparently said to David Hains today that he was stunned by how progressive his platform turned out when he stepped back and looked at it. I think a lot of disgruntled progressives went toward him & can be won back by Chow.

He was the most fiscally conservative candidate in the race. He was the only one willing to tackle the biggest runaway budget item in the city: the police department.

He was the most fiscally conservative candidate in the race. He was the only one willing to tackle the biggest runaway budget item in the city: the police department.

That's certainly true too. It's all a little blurred at the municipal level, I think.

Back