News   Jul 05, 2024
 455     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 844     11 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 443     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

it's apparently not a flip-flop because she was a councillor then and now she's a candidate.

I'm really curious to hear the logic behind that notion. I suppose if she actually represented the Islands as a councillor there might be some argument to be made, but seriously...

From this link:
Olivia Chow vows to increase service on TTC’s busiest bus routes to allow people to ride ‘in more comfort’

Peter Kuitenbrouwer | March 20, 2014 2:46 PM ET
More from Peter Kuitenbrouwer | @pkuitenbrouwer

mws-oliviachow-07.jpg
Michelle Siu for the National PostOlivia Chow holds a press conference at a bus stop on the corner of Wilson Avenue and Jane Street in Toronto to announce her intention to increase TTC rush hour capacity by 10% on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Olivia Chow, the candidate for mayor, convoked the press to a windy street corner at Jane and Wilson Streets on Thursday to say that, if elected, she will increase service by 10 per cent on “high-traffic” bus routes.

“I want to allow people to ride the buses in more comfort and with more dignity, and get home so they can spend more time with their children,” she said.

Ms. Chow said the mayor has made public transit worse in Toronto.

“When Rob Ford got elected he said he was for the little guy,” Ms. Chow said. “Guess what? Since he got elected, it is more crowded.” Mr. Ford cut $14-million from the TTC in 2012, she said.

Ms. Chow told stories of drivers forced to leave women with children in strollers at the bus stops along Jane Street this past winter because of overcrowding on the buses. She noted that 60 per cent of TTC users ride a bus for at least part of their daily journey.

Ms. Chow said that her plan will cost $15-million. Asked where she will get the money, she answered, “The funds can be found within the existing budget.”

Opinions on Ms. Chow were divided in the neighbourhood.
mws-oliviachow-06.jpg
Michelle Siu for National PostMs. Chow said that her plan will cost $15-million. Asked where she will get the money, she answered, 'The funds can be found within the existing budget'

As she stood chatting with reporters, a young man recognized her and began chanting, “Go Ford Go!”

But later, as Ms. Chow disembarked from the No. 96 bus at Wilson subway station, the bus driver said through the bus’s PA system, “I would like to wish my special passenger good luck.”

Basically, she'll reverse the Rob Ford 10% TTC service cuts. Going back to the way it was, is returning TTC service to normal. Hopefully, after she's in as Mayor, TTC service will get better.

The 10% increase in rush-hour buses is smart. It's simple, straightforward, and no-one can oppose it without looking like a complete DB (as the Stintz campaign has just proven). Also, it's a refreshing change of focus from the obsession with subways and LRT to the exclusion of everything else. As a regular rider of the 53, such a change would make a noticeable improvement on my route.

The 10% increase in rush-hour buses is smart. It's simple, straightforward, and no-one can oppose it without looking like a complete DB (as the Stintz campaign has just proven). Also, it's a refreshing change of focus from the obsession with subways and LRT to the exclusion of everything else.

And it can actually make an impact on people's commute within a mayoral term, before 2018!

Of course I'm not saying we don't need long term projects like building new subways & LRTs, but it's nice that something would actually make transit better within a few years instead of 10 years later.

“Tweet was issued as councillor. Now she is taking a position on behalf of city as a mayoral candidate,â€

Says the genius who likes making fun of accents.

Someone who is putting expanding the subway system as a top priority. Thomson has been vocal about wanting Tory to run for mayor for a while now.

This makes perfect sense - but I'm not sure that I understand why it makes sense for Thomson to run (bizarrely) for mayor herself instead of just campaigning for John Tory, apart from her apparent desire to be at the centre of a spectacle.

I hope that Chow tacks on a bit of money for transit signal priority/bus queue jump lanes where possible, in addition to her promise for a 10% capacity boost.

Back