News   May 06, 2024
 289     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 846     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 618     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Same here. I liked what Goldkind said at the beginning, but now he's starting to sound like a bit of a kook, and he's being very repetitive. Which is rather unfortunate as he still has good things to say and is a very bright guy.

My choices have narrowed to Soknacki and Chow.

What really bothered me was when he tweeted about how he didn't care for the Pan Am games but OF COURSE he cared about the Para-pan games. Um... What the ACTUAL f*ck? Could you be any more overtly politically correct? If you don't care for athletic events, then just say so, don't be a fake and pretend you care about them "poor disabled folk".

That same day he posted a list of "important issues" and they all seem lifted from an Occupy Wallstreet blog post. Thanks, but no thanks comrade.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/14/live-olivia-chow-to-make-gun-control-announcement

Olivia Chow vows handgun ban

kobe1.gif

I've thought Goldkind has mirrored Ford in the way he wants to set himself apart from all the other politicians. While it might wish rescue from our usual suspects by someone from outside politics, there's no guarantee they won't prove at least as lacking. Thomson was given a chance and she turned out to be a flake. Rossi, despite his resume, was also something of a flake.

I wish Soknacki would come out strong against Ford. While he has the best take on the issues, no one is listening to him. Since Ford attracts all the attention, attacking him would bring greater attention to Soknacki. I thought highest of Stintz in the time she stood firm against the Ford subway plans. While it might seem that Ford has no chance of being elected and should instead be ignored, he will continue into the election with a strong base and could be influential even after he loses. I think it would show leadership to strongly counter his record of lies and manipulation. Maybe Soknacki doesn't have him in him, maybe he's only comfortable being a wonk, but really he has nothing to lose. Those of us who have been infuriated by Ford's ability to escape any consequences for his actions (besides perhaps not being reelected this fall) need someone to voice our frustration.

Toronto Taxpayers Coalition is a one man show.

AoD

They never had any credibility, I am never a fan of self-proclaimed Taxpayer group. We have taxpayer group, they are called councilors, MP and MPP during elections. I don't need some group I've never voted or I personally give my say to saying what we should spend my taxes on. But I will say at least the Canadian Taxpayer Federation gives an illusion of putting the feet of a Conservative government when they do a project that looks like it's wasting money

Toronto coalition just agree's with Ford 95% of the time and get into issue that isn't even a tax issue and support things that isn't best use of tax money (Scarborough subway)

As for car or public transit debate, depends on situation. If I am traveling with stuff (ie to the beach) I'd rather take the car. If I am going some place empty handed (sports event, movie etc) I'd rather take the TTC. The subway is not necessarily better than the street car. For example going to Skydome, I'd rather take the Spadina ROW than the subway to union.

I was just told to "piss off" by Warren Kinsella on Twitter for what I thought was a pretty civil comment. I've donated to Chow, I was going to volunteer for her, and I'm not sure I can anymore with this guy being part of her campaign.

I've been a big defender of Chow on this board. I've donated to her and still plan to vote for her. But I'm with Andray Domise on the gun announcement. It's totally tone deaf and it only reinforces racial stereotypes about gangs and violence. Just leave the tough-on-crime agenda alone. Crime is going down already.

Also, Warren Kinsella is really shooting this campaign in the foot.

Yeah, it's funny. I've been a huge Chow defender up til now, but her gun announcement today was just... weird. On a number of levels. I knew it felt like pandering, I just had no idea to whom. Kinsella's reaction to Domise was just ugly. I get the feeling he didn't even bother reading Domise's other tweets about the subject. He had no interested in having an actual policy conversation. Politics is like a sporting event to him and he doesn't really care whether the people are being served so long as his candidate is winning.

Andray is taking the debate to a higher level. And good on him for taking that road, cuz he's not just doing it to stuff-up Kinsella's little dog-whistle project. Warren just got in the way.

But yeah, it's 2014 and Warren needs to get with the program. He did see what happened to the Whiz Kids, no?

Back