News   Jul 22, 2024
 324     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 560     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

You need to stop this team red vs team blue crap.

I never said that Liberal supporters at the provincial level would not vote for Ford in a mayoral election (they did in 2010). What I said is that I find it doubtful that the recent Liberal victory at the provincial level would benefit Ford specifically by creating a backlash.

Either way, I also fail to see how a single campaign worker interviewed in that Globe article matters one way or the other. Probably a better example to use would be the fact that Conservative John Laschinger (who ran John Tory's PC leadership campaign!!) is running Olivia Chow's mayoral campaign.

From this link,

This just in, 27% of Toronto voters do not read, listen, or look at the news:

cimayoralpoll.jpg

Everybody is freaking out over this. Seriously it's not a big deal. First rule of poll reading is not take full stock in a single poll (especially the last poll being released and looking at it as a single thing, remember NDP 30%) Second beware the fake bounce, remember when the post ice storm poll and Ford went up a few percentage and they called it a spike, it wasn't. Fords numbers have been in a bubble, sometimes the bubble expand and it on the higher end, sometimes the bubble is deflated which would be lower end. But his overall numbers stay the same.

Let's look at the past 5 polls (March to now) from Research (who by the way their numbers are fine, their analysis is BS. If Ford polled with 10% they would still claim he's a contender with double digit support) How the contenders rate in a 5 person race.
CHOW: 33, 34, 36, 38, current 34%. What we learn is her line is around 35% might go down a few might be up a few. But that's her line
FORD : 32, 27, 24, 20, current 27%. Ford's line is about 25%. He might go up a few, he might go down to 20. But seems like he can't get to 30 anymore.
TORY: 21, 24, 27, 28, current 24%. Tory line is also around 25%. He is oddly similar numbers to Ford. But has more chance of growth because he's viewed as more moderate and be able to grab Stintz and Soknacki voters.

When you just look at the top three. The numbers become Chow at 37%, Tory at 29%, Ford gets 28%. Chow is starting to reach the magical 40% mark (that every Mayor has at least gotten) Ford in this scenario raised just a single percent to 28 and Tory grabs the majority of the secondary candidate voters.

The only one who should be really upset right now is Tory, as he can't hold on to even some of Fords 25% for a long period of time to to at least break into the 30% (sorry Nick K numbers is as credible as Sarah Thomson personal numbers). There is also something sweet about Soknacki doubling Stintz in percentage.

Yes, Ford couldn't come back one day early for the biggest event in the city, which by the way, brings in over 200 million dollars. What a prick!

http://warrenkinsella.com/2014/03/kinsella-vs-kouvalis-a-comparison/

Because the media are in the shorthand business – and because social media renders everything bite-sized and/or stupid – some people have taken to comparing me to John Tory’s campaign manager, Nick Kouvalis.

I cannot believe I have to actually spend five precious minutes of my life on this, but apparently I do. So, as a public service, here are some of the ways in which I differ from Nick Kouvalis.

• Kouvalis has been charged, criminally, for making death threats. I have never been charged with anything, although I have received two speeding tickets in my life, for which I apologize.
• Kouvalis has been found guilty of several ethical violations by the professional marketing/polling organization to which he belongs. I have never been found to have breached any professional rules or standards whatsoever – although, I was on the executive of both the Canadian Bar Association and the Ontario Bar Association, which I suppose was punishment enough.
• Kouvalis has not written any books of which I am aware, and I do not know his educational background. I have written seven books and have degrees in Journalism and Law. The journalism one is from Carleton, however, which cannot be helped.
• Kouvalis brags about using dirty tricks – fake identities and whatnot – in election campaigns. I have written books in which I have said, among other things, that dirty tricks do not work – and I have fired youngsters who show up with same. I did, however, wave around a purple dinosaur on TV once to poke fun at Kouvalis’ friend Stockwell Day. I admit that.
• Kouvalis uses front companies to conduct “polls” to push voters one way or another. I have written books in which I have said that “push polls” should be banned, and that those who make use of them are hurting democracy. I am old-fashioned about democracy, in that I think it is a fragile thing, and worth defending.
• Kouvalis says that he is good at beating Liberals, and then went on to work for BC Liberal leader Christy Clark; he has said that John Tory wasn’t much of a leader, and then went on to work for John Tory. I, for my part, worked for many years for guys named Chrétien and McGuinty, and I have stuck by them, in good times and in bad.
• Kouvalis is friends with Rob Ford and ran his campaign in 2010. I consider Rob Ford to be a crack-smoking, heroin-dabbling, baldfaced-lying, drunk-driving thug who belongs in jail, not the mayor’s chair.

There you go. Those are some of the key ways in which Nick Kouvalis and I differ. There are others.

Oh, and Mr. Tory? Best of luck. With Kouvalis running the show, you will need it.

- See more at: http://warrenkinsella.com/2014/03/kinsella-vs-kouvalis-a-comparison/#sthash.dwxmcYIP.dpuf

I'm assuming that all the mayoralty candidates will attend the World Pride Parade on Sunday, in some sort. Except for one, who will be at "rehab" until (conveniently for him) the very next day, Monday.

Why is this stuff constantly brought up about Ford attending? We know he won't so why rehash?

both of these articles quote the same event, but one interpretation is the opposite of the other...

Wynne softens support for Scarborough subway

Premier Kathleen Wynne seemed to wobble Friday on her commitment to build a subway in Scarborough, saying she would work with whoever is elected mayor in November.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/27/wynne-softens-support-for-scarborough-subway

Kathleen Wynne warns mayoral candidates to get on board with transit
Premier Kathleen Wynne is signalling to Toronto mayoral candidates not to derail the province’s transit plans.

Premier Kathleen Wynne is signalling to Toronto mayoral candidates not to derail the province’s transit plans.

Flexing her majority mandate muscles, Wynne on Friday emphasized that reducing gridlock in the Greater Toronto-Hamilton Area is a top priority and she expects municipalities to work with Queen’s Park.

Reminded by reporters that some mayoral hopefuls want to cancel the already-approved and funded $3-billion Scarborough subway extension and use the money for other transit, the premier suggested that’s a non-starter.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp..._candidates_to_get_on_board_with_transit.html

Sara Thompson was handing out these brochures at the Pride street festival. Wasn't impressed with her all underground LRTs.

14531881955_653e373406_z.jpg
14528497321_caf7a6f0cb_z.jpg

I was halfway expecting her to be rainbow-coloured topless with her "logo" as pasties on the parade.

As for Soknacki: there was something charming about his shaking hands w/the spectators; almost like it might as well have been the Santa Claus Parade or some small-town Canada Day procession...

Sara Thompson was handing out these brochures at the Pride street festival. Wasn't impressed with her all underground LRTs.

There should be a ground rule from now on that says you can't promote subways unless they are also fully funded, because unfunded subways are imaginary subways. I'm totally on board with the tolling of the 905 though.

Free wifi blanketing the city...great, but again...it has to be fully funded or stop talking about it.

Supporting local food security and expanding urban gardening...how?

The 10% rent geared-to-income on all new developments is puzzling....who's building these units???? Who owns them????? Sounds like another case of the government pawning off its social responsibilities that we pay taxes for onto the private sector.

There is something really quite creepy about the photo used in her pamphlet.

She's the left's version of Doug Ford...creepy photo and all.

The 10% rent geared-to-income on all new developments is puzzling....who's building these units???? Who owns them????? Sounds like another case of the government pawning off its social responsibilities that we pay taxes for onto the private sector.

I believe Vancouver does this. Any building over a certain number of units must build units for the city for this purpose. In most cases, Developers don't mind as they give the city the junk units that don't sell (lousy layouts, floors, views, ...) which makes it much better for them than an equal amount in developer fees.

The working theory is that mixing have and have-not residents helps turn the have-nots into haves by giving them more opportunities. That is, they can interact in the elevator and amenity spaces and possibly be given opportunities that they may not have been presented with in a more segregated housing structure. Job recommendations (loading dock/mail room type stuff) and letters of reference. Long-term they may become fully self-supporting.

Last edited:

Back