News   Jul 26, 2024
 727     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

He is the only one generating his own ideas that actually make sense. He has practical experience from having been on council and having run his own company, and he is passionate in his own Vulcan way. He just needs to work on his oratory skills and his ability to project emotion.
I think it was a Marcus Gee article that mentioned how much better Soknacki does with people face to face. Am I miss remembering or did people use to say that about Ford?

I think it is something Soknacki can and will work on. Compared to other candidates he has been out of the public view and may just take since time to settle in.

If Soknacki does not break out of his Vulcan shell in a while, the 4% number might well become a normal number to see for his campaign: liked by those who want to be converted, while everyone goes "who?", or is left a little cold by the man. People need to *like* their leaders, not just respect them. It is very easy for a social media campaign to throw a big shadow, especially in a Twitter-addicted world like the Toronto media and the chattering classes. But Twitter isn't that big of a deal. Heck, no-one except the obsessed will be tuning in until at least August. I think the sign campaign will be the acid test for the smaller campaigns. Ford, Chow, and to some extent Tory will have tens of thousands of signs ready to go on midnight of the first day signs are allowed, plus thousands of sign locations, and dozens of sign crews who will have cut their teeth on many previous campaigns and know the best locations for the signs to get multiple eyeballs. Signs are psychological warfare and territorial marking rolled into one. If Stintz and Soknacki can't show strength on the ground as evidenced at least partly by signs, they will be footnotes.

I got that email as well. I never signed up on her website so why am I getting them as well. Not too mention the phonecalls

You know, I was seriously considering voting for him to save the Scarborough subway, but really? Eglinton connects ranks above my preference for the subway. Never mind the fact that water taxis are a bone headed idea. Maybe try to reinstate the Rochester ferry, but even then that's not day to day commuting.

Yah deal breaker for me as well. Nobody will touch Eglinton Connects on my watch. :mad:

Nice to see more people shifting towards the Soknacki camp.

I think the sign campaign will be the acid test for the smaller campaigns. Ford, Chow, and to some extent Tory will have tens of thousands of signs ready to go on midnight of the first day signs are allowed, plus thousands of sign locations, and dozens of sign crews who will have cut their teeth on many previous campaigns and know the best locations for the signs to get multiple eyeballs. Signs are psychological warfare and territorial marking rolled into one. If Stintz and Soknacki can't show strength on the ground as evidenced at least partly by signs, they will be footnotes.

But it can be more complicated than "apparent frontrunners"--as I've said before, back in 2003, once the sign campaign got underway, supposed frontrunner Barbara Hall was ominously AWOL for the most part, which wound up telling the whole story for *that* election...

There is only one candidate that I am confident will plan transit logically instead of planning transit by pandering to voters. That is the candidate to vote for to see Eglinton West built.

Kind of hurts the Eg West future with the Richview ROW being given to Build Toronto and sold off piecemeal, doesn't it?

Last edited:
If Soknacki does not break out of his Vulcan shell in a while, the 4% number might well become a normal number to see for his campaign: liked by those who want to be converted, while everyone goes "who?", or is left a little cold by the man. People need to *like* their leaders, not just respect them. It is very easy for a social media campaign to throw a big shadow, especially in a Twitter-addicted world like the Toronto media and the chattering classes. But Twitter isn't that big of a deal. Heck, no-one except the obsessed will be tuning in until at least August. I think the sign campaign will be the acid test for the smaller campaigns. Ford, Chow, and to some extent Tory will have tens of thousands of signs ready to go on midnight of the first day signs are allowed, plus thousands of sign locations, and dozens of sign crews who will have cut their teeth on many previous campaigns and know the best locations for the signs to get multiple eyeballs. Signs are psychological warfare and territorial marking rolled into one. If Stintz and Soknacki can't show strength on the ground as evidenced at least partly by signs, they will be footnotes.
Since the Twitterverse has very little interest in Soknacki, he would have a hard time reaching out to others.

Soknacki does not even have a Wikipedia article for his mayoral campaign (he is the only one of the major candidates without one): https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=David_Soknacki_mayoral_campaign,_2014&action=edit&redlink=1

Back