News   May 02, 2024
 544     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 322     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 290     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

Exactly. These are the same people who probably don't know the name of their own city councillor or MPP/MP for their riding. UT is representative of the average Torontonian, I'd imagine the regulars on this site has Ford support in the single digits.

That would be some interesting questions -

Do you know the name of your Councillor?
Do you know what your Councillor stands for?
Do you know what Ward you live in?

Do you know who is running for Mayor?
Do you know what the mayoralty candidates stand for?

I would guess many people would answer NO to the first 3 and YES to the next 2.

The other thing I expect is that people would expect that Councillors would follow the direction of the mayor for all City wide issues and their own councillor is only influential in putting up stop signs, no parking signs, and similar local things.

That is the benefit of having a Party system in municipal politics. The average person does not have time (or the information) to make a knowledgeable determination of their councillor, put if the councillors were vetted by a party, the voters could make more intelligent choices. It would probably also increase voter participation.

My guess is that as long as the city is not experiencing any major crisis like a garbage strike, a large section of the public is just going to approve of the government by default. .

Sadly, that is how it works. Toronto's somewhat perpetual prosperity is largely to blame for our lacklustre politicians.

It is an example of unintended consequences, wherein the garbage collectors who went on strike never considered that their action would be a tipping point for so many Torontonians to bring Ford to power, and thus cause much mayhem, as well as lead to the out sourcing of garbage collection.

It's ridiculous to think a garbage strike is all people can think of regarding the 7 years of Millers reign.

The personal attacks on Chow reminds me of when the PCs under Kim Campbell attacked Jean Chrétien's mouth. The attack backfired very hard, leading to Chrétien winning a majority and the PCs having only two seats (and Campbell losing her own seat). Interestingly enough, John Tory created the Chrétien's mouth attack ad.

In a career of losses, this is Tory's biggest claim to fame...under his direction, the PC election campaign resulted in the biggest political loss in the history of the country.

As long as Ford doesn't win, Tory can hold his head high and say that he did his part to split the vote. He doesn't want to be mayor, he only wants to stop Ford.

Nobody would ever buy that. Especially since John Tory was a Ford supporter.

It is an example of unintended consequences, wherein the garbage collectors who went on strike never considered that their action would be a tipping point for so many Torontonians to bring Ford to power, and thus cause much mayhem, as well as lead to the out sourcing of garbage collection.

Also, Local 79 represents 20,000 municipal employees; the garbage collectors only represent part of the local. They are the most visible. It was not necessarily them that wanted to strike, but they bore the brunt of the criticism and are now suffering the retaliation of having their jobs contracted out so Ford can score political points.

Edit: Fact correction - garbage collectors are local 416; both locals (about 24,000 workers) went on strike in 2009.

Last edited:
Chow is a train wreck. Does she really think she can win on the sympathy vote? Karen Stintz has impressed me for the simple fact she actually has a personality and is not afraid to fire back at everyone.

This tells me that Soknacki will likely endorse Chow when he drops out in a few months. They agree on this issue and on the LRT plan. If Karen Stintz drops out, no doubt that her support will go to John Tory.

Better still is if they could join forces. I would be really comfortable with that ticket.

What role could Chow offer Soknacki in exchange for endorsement? I don't think Soknacki will be running for council.

Yeah don't think Soknacki will endorse anyone. He will stay till the very end. If he loses he will probably just go back to his business.

I think it would be awesome to see Soknacki back on council. He would probably be able to do great things under either Chow or Tory.

I think it would be awesome to see Soknacki back on council. He would probably be able to do great things under either Chow or Tory.

Notwithstanding what the two posters above said, which is entirely reasonable, this too is my dream situation. Of all the platforms revealed to various degrees so far, his is the most coherent and relevant. I think between him and Chow and/or Tory, they could probably be able to get council on side for a lot of it too. Ah, and then there's reality............

Which ward would he run in? Ainslie is in his old ward and they are friends/allies

Back