News   Jul 12, 2024
 765     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 694     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 302     0 

2009 Pug Awards - Now Love it, LIKE IT, Hate it

Yes, grey, Babak's a lively advocate for design - he spoke from the floor at the TSA Design Review Forum a couple of months ago, which Darkstar, Simply Dan, interchange and I went to. Bruce Kuwabara and Ralph Giannone were on the panel, along with a couple of urban planners who didn't have much to say, and Eslahjou would have been a good addition. His point about peer recognition - in the Pugs interview quoted above - was echoed in what Kuwabara and Giannone said about their positive experiences with the collegial nature of the purely design review process, once it's free from lawyers, marketers, developers and other types.

His related comment, about the trained eye and the idea that only a small percentage of the population "gets" art, reminds me of the article that forum member Silence&Motion posted about the populist attempt to get more people to listen to classical music ( violinist Joshua Bell playing in a subway station ... ) which failed to raise the level of involvement much above that which people have with the same music when it's performed in professional concert halls.

And on the subject of design - as opposed to planning - culture, here's an article about another forum that he was recently involved in:

Current planning system a 'messy democracy'
Christopher Hume
Apr 11, 2009

Architects don't usually agree on much, but in Toronto there's one thing on which they all see eye to eye: The city's planning system doesn't work.

That came through loud and clear in a round table discussion moderated by the Toronto Star last week. We invited some of the most respected practitioners to the session and listened carefully to what they had to say.

"We need clarity," declared Rudy Wallman of Wallman Architects. "The zoning bylaw is really out of date."

According to Babak Eslahjou, of Core Architects, the planning process "pits neighbourhoods against developers." And once the subject of height is raised, he argued, backs go up and civility flies out the door. We should be talking about density, he insisted, not height.

David Pontarini of Hariri Pontarini Architects pointed out that because the planning regime is so dysfunctional, fully half his firm's projects end up at the Ontario Municipal Board, the quasi-judicial tribunal that has final say on development in the province. He would prefer a design review process, like that of Vancouver.

But as Roland Rom Colthoff of Raw Design pointed out: "The approval process is democratic." As he also noted, however, democracy isn't particularly effective; it's just better than any other system.

All four architects on hand rank among the most accomplished in Toronto. But each, in his own way, made it clear condo design could be improved by establishing a clear set of rules that would apply to everyone involved – developers, planners, architects and neighbourhoods.

As it stands, each project seems to be considered in a kind of regulatory vacuum, a one-off, as if it existed in isolation from the rest of the city.

The result, Eslahjou observed, is that "a lot of planners take their direction from councillors." Their concerns tend to be more political than civic or architectural, which is no way to build a city.

And yet, many developers take their scheme to the local councillor before they go to city planners. Keep in mind, too, that in Toronto, the planning department only advises council, which has final say. Because so many councillors would rather cave to local interests than do what's best for the city, many proposals end up at the OMB. This, in turn, has the effect of allowing councillors to avoid the hard decisions.

"The OMB is part of a much larger process," said Colthoff.

And, the round table participants agreed, the OMB process, with its judicial overtones, means that lawyers and consultants play an overly large role in development. They also complained that it forces the discussion away from architecture and design and onto strictly legal matters. Though no one suggested the law isn't important, they emphasized the need to focus on how a building functions in its context, what it brings to city and the public realm.

Though there was general agreement that design review panels – of which Toronto now has several – lead to better architecture, Wallman spoke of his experience where one of his firm's projects was reviewed by a panel. The process, Wallman said, was "extremely beneficial," but when he took it to city planners, they had no interest in the panel or its suggestions.

This kind of bureaucratic confusion and interagency turf wars undermine efforts to improve the quality of design in Toronto.

Leadership, they insisted, must come from the politicians, but they're afraid and unwilling to give up any of their power. And of all the powers held by councillors, none means more than the ability to control development; it lies at the heart of civic government, or at least, it should.

But as Eslahjou also made clear, if planning department problems weren't enough, there's also public works, the TTC, fire department, the whole panoply of bureaucratic "silos," each of which views development through its own lens.

This partly explains why the city, in Colthoff's words, "has abandoned the public realm." It's not so much that the city doesn't care about its streets, sidewalks, parks and squares, but that each department only looks at its part of the public realm. And because few are willing to take them on, they tend to prevail.

On the other hand, all four architects agreed that the condo market in Toronto has grown more sophisticated in recent years. Design matters as never before, and developers ignore architecture at their peril. What makes these architect comments so interesting was the frank – and very refreshing – admission that, like the vast majority of buildings in the city, condos are "fabric buildings." In other words, they constitute the stuff of which the city is made; their job is not to stand out and call attention to themselves but to help define the streetscape and bring continuity, coherence and connection to the city.

This is no small task, and no one should assume that fabric buildings are any less critical because they belong with the choristers, not in the soloists' spotlight. Let's not forget, there's nothing more harmonious than a choir singing in tune.

Our quartet was also adamant that despite calls for more family-sized units, demand remains small. They simply don't sell, Eslahjou pointed out. That's why, in Wallman's words, if it were up to developers, there would be no family units in any condo.

On the other hand, there was unanimous consent that sustainability has become an issue no builder can ignore. LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) accreditation is well on its way to becoming the norm in the condo industry, even though it adds to the bottom line and, therefore, the final price. The argument, of course, is that those extra costs are more than worth it because they lead to increased savings over the long term. The foursome described projects that include geothermal heating, solar panels and the like.

For all the problems and obstacles they encounter as condo designers, it was wonderfully reassuring to hear four of Toronto's most accomplished architects talking about beauty, and their quest to design beautiful buildings. That isn't a word we often associate with architecture in the 21st Century, and certainly not in same breath as condos, but the desire for beauty runs deep. It will not be ignored, and it will not go away.

And who knows, perhaps one day it will be seen in the condos we build.

And, back with the Pugs interview, here's a bit more Babak:

What is your favorite building in Toronto – be it residential, commercial, public or institutional?

The TD Centre – It is still the most beautiful building in this city, by far. The plaza below the building feels fantastic; the poetry is in its simplicity and sophistication at the same time. It is a timeless building and a great example of the successes of 20th century … It was a good building to happen, at the time that it did, for the city of Toronto.

( He actually raised the question of whether or not a "towers in the park" development such as the TD Centre would be approved today, if it came up before a design review panel such as the one Kuwabara sits on, at the recent TSA Design Review Forum. "Of course it would!" said Bruce, to some laughter ).

I had to give some thought to Adma's response that the Pugs are interesting precisely because they act as a glimmer of knowledge about populist taste around architecture. I mulled it over, and then I thought, no, they still hold no interest for me, because of the other disadvantages that I see in the awards (web browsing vs. being there, aesthetic vs. other concerns, etc.) and I decided that they were still uninteresting for me.

Great interview with Babak Eslahjou. Thanks for posting.

I had to give some thought to Adma's response that the Pugs are interesting precisely because they act as a glimmer of knowledge about populist taste around architecture. I mulled it over, and then I thought, no, they still hold no interest for me, because of the other disadvantages that I see in the awards (web browsing vs. being there, aesthetic vs. other concerns, etc.) and I decided that they were still uninteresting for me.

Though to me, those other disadvantages make it more interesting still--maybe not just re populist taste, but populist *response* to architecture and images and presentation thereof. Albeit in a high-concept, turning-the-camera-on-them sense that may be antithetical to what the Pugs were superficially designed to achieve.

Even the mixedness of Babak's feelings t/w the Argyle as a Pug winner demonstrate the fact--I mean, quite obviously, the people voted for the old building, not for whatever he added. Of course, that's got its built-in problems, too, by reflecting and feeding "modern architecture sucks" sentiment; but, hey.

All in all, the Pugs become most interesting when they wind up generating a (de)constructive "Pugs After Show" response from forums like UT.

Anyone can vote on the groan-inducing Pugs. Precisely who the mix of voters are, and what basis they have for voting, is a mystery ( Organized voting for certain apartment buildings, for instance? Maybe. ). It isn't the sort of event where anyone wins prizes by getting the "right" answer. You can do the serious thing and pore over pictures of the buildings very carefully and ponder your responses, and go round and look at all the buildings if you want. No doubt some do. Usually I ignore it, but this year decided to go with a thumbs-up-Toronto-Life-Square / thumbs-down-AGO approach, and I suspect that GraphicMatt and I aren't the only folks who have had a little contrarian sport with this thing.

Loser this year was the Mount Sinai Hospital Joseph & Wolf Lebovic Centre, which surprisingly edged out Toronto Life Square.

What meaning can be derived from this? I suppose one can speculate, but nothing that interests me.

I was going to vote, but didn't. Put me in the category that couldn't care less about this contest, prolly because I share the same feeling as some of those that the context in which the buildings are situated in is ignored.

What matters is not which projects won, but rather that Torontonians are becoming engaged in the discussion.

Hands up, everyone who saw this one coming.

Okay, who lost? Who's the BeBloor this time?

Hand up. I also called the AGO.
The Pugs are kind of fun and I totally agree with what is stated above. If it can raise a level of awareness of good or interesting architecture among Torontonians than I say it's a good thing.

Last edited:
27 December 2009 photo update

A 2011 Pugly? Can't find a thread for it, so here goes (beside BeBloor condo at Bloor and Lansdowne)

dsc02208x.jpg

I find that statement by Babak Eslahjou interesting because I have been exploring filtering the world through a different lense these days. I don't disgree with his statement because I recognize it comes from a specific world view. However, I would suggest that just as he generalizes about the unknowing masses, some astute generalizations can also be directed at people who practise design, architecture, engineering and other such endeavours. It is something you might want to consider if you, like myself, come from this kind of background and mentality.

There are inherent limitations in filtering the world through a view point like Mr. Eslahjou's. I have always believed that architects and designers make poor city planners and have intrinsic weakness in dealing with people. To give you an example in some material I was studying on negotiation techniques the author suggested that people who concern themselves with the physical world, he sites people like engineers, architects, accountants etc. make inherently poor negotiators. Concern for accuracy, control, fixed rules, being uncomfortable with ambiguity, concern for what others think are all attributes that have great purpose but are limiting in the world of human interaction.

So what does this have to do with the pug Awards or the opinions of the unknowing masses? It is great that designers think the way they do and that they revell in peer-to-peer crtic. But I often think in some ways they hid there self-consciously and erect walls to protect themselves from the opinions of others who filter and understand their work on different (not higher or lower) levels of understand.

In the interview, Eslahjou accepts that the general public will interpret buildings at a different level ( "I think that people love buildings for a variety of reasons and I even think that architecture may not be one of those things!" ), but I don't see anything there about him wishing to restrict possession of what he calls the trained eye in any way - mostly, he accepts that we don't have a fully visually literate society.

Face-to-face with a tormented soul like pepper79, for instance - in constant anguish because he doesn't "get" Casa - I bet Eslahjou would do his darndest to talk him down ... though not with a pro-"dumb and ordinary" advocacy of second rate design like BSN. Such advocacy would be about raising standards, not settling for the lowest common denominator.

Back