News   Apr 23, 2024
 85     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

20 Gothic Condos (Monarch Group) - Real Estate -

Thought I would pipe up here, as I posted in the other thread.

I (and my fiance) are purchasers of Twenty Gothic.

To be honest, I don't buy into a condo for it's exterior finish. I buy into it because it's where I want to live. Also, because it offers units that I'd want to own. While I do agree that the exterior finish could have been better (I wonder why it isn't darker as most of the older places around here have darker wood and brick exteriors) but overall I don't think it's too bad. I personally agree that the condos over by the Kingsway and Bloor are much more offensive in terms of surrounding area. I also think that the front of the building, on Gothic Ave, will be much nicer then the parking structure you see from Bloor/Parkview Gardens. I just hope Twenty Gothic ages well.

I've been in the west end most of my life, but specifically in High Park for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. The location of this condo is perfect for me...I'm across from the Park (which I run, bike, swim in, and when the folks are in town, I take the dogs for a nice romp in the off leash area), I'm 3 minutues from my gym, I'm 30 secons to the TTC, I'm 5 minutes to the lake, 15 mins (good traffic) from downtown, and a 10 min walk to BWV. I honestly couldn't think of a better area for us - we're both really active people and love to walk everywhere...

As for my unit, I have a first floor unit on the west end of the building. I'm especially excited for my 350sq ft terrace, with a natural gas line for the BBQ and lots of open air space. Our closing is February (late) of 2009...delayed from June of 2008 but I've come to terms with this already :)

We opted for a few upgrades (smooth ceilings, three way switch in the bedroom, slight change in floor plan to increase size of closet :), moving some outlets around, some appliance upgrades etc) but overall were quite happy with the standard finishes.

Anyway, that's my 2cents.

If anyone else here is an owner, and is on facebook, join Kyle and I here: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18886099594. Now that Monarch moved our date up, we're so early compared to our wedding date that our condo will be a bit empty until we collect some gifts from the shower/wedding!

:D

Kristina

PS - A few people have made some comments about the subway line right beneath the condo so I thought I'd share some info. This was also a concern for me but what Monarch has done is installed some unique and HUGE vibration plates, sort of like what you'd imagine they use in earthquake prone areas. It allows the building to move separately from the base, or so I'm told. I used to live in a three floor walk up just one block over from this building, and it was built in the '20s, and the vibrations and noise were only really bad in the basement underground units. So with the sophisticated nature of the engineering t reduce NVH, I would hope that Twenty Gothic remains rattle free :)

Congratulations. Bloor West Village is truly unique. It has it all! I love it. Truly a gem of Toronto neighbourhoods.

People who believe that BWV is full of Eastern European restaurants /shops are exactly the people I am referencing. They know the BWV of the past. There are vestiges of this, but really, it has so changed in the last several years. I find that native Torontonians have this view. And, I am glad that it is NOT full of nightclubs and bars. That is the idea of being on the subway line, close to the core. That is exactly what we appreciate about the village! Let it NEVER change!

And, are not the people who are always looking for the 'trends' the ones who are lagging them.....? 'Trendy' = 'Insecurity', from where I come from... Trendy restaurants, trendy bars...? Uh? Part of the great Toronto insecurity. World-class city, indeed.

And, are not the people who are always looking for the 'trends' the ones who are lagging them.....? 'Trendy' = 'Insecurity', from where I come from... Trendy restaurants, trendy bars...? Uh? Part of the great Toronto insecurity. World-class city, indeed.

I actually have to agree with you for the most part. I disagree on the Eastern European thing...I do think there's still quite a strong presence in BWV, but it has grown and expanded beyond that for sure. I'm a Uke by heritage, but born in TO...

But I'm with you on the "trendy" front. I find that whole thing tiring to be honest. I wouldn't want clubs and hot spots in BWV. If I want that, I'm 30 seconds from the subway and not far from the King Street car at Dundas West. There are enough people that frequent the local pubs on a Friday and Saturday night for a good time, not everything has to be about pretentious showing off - been there, done that, SNORE! ;)

Otherwise I would have chosen to live on College or down on King etc.

As for restaurants, I've heard good things about Strada...never been. I went to Bloom and I personally liked it...there's also that place down the street near Jane, something about Lemon or...I can't recall! I much prefer to cook myself...:D

Anywho, that's why TO is great, there's a neighborhood that suits everyone's tastes.

Kristina

Back