1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

19 Spadina Road (?, ?s)

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Via a Member Motion from Councillor Layton to next week's Council meeting we learn there is hope to develop this current Green P parking lot into affordable housing.

The City is leasing the land currently and using it as a commercial parking facility.

The owner of the land, however, is the province.

The City is interesting in pursuing redevelopment of the site with an eye to affordable housing, but requires the province to sell the lands in question.

Motion link: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2022.MM39.17

From the motion:

1643560138837.png

Note above that the seconder to the motion is the Mayor; indicating a strong liklihood this will go ahead if the province cooperates.

From the background:

1643560236971.png

Streetview of the existing site:

1643560274068.png

Aerial Pic:

1643560338260.png

Site size: ~2400m2 / 26000ft2

Last edited:
Love the potential here. A building location at the intersection of two subway lines? This should be 40s as of right. Can we get 400 affordable units here? Why not.

Agree w/the first 2 statements; but as a simple matter of fact, this is not going to be as-of-right for 40s, because that would imply it were already zoned for that, which it is not.

Also worth saying, it won't be either.

The 'ask' for the two sites right at Bloor are 35 and 37 storeys, so right there we know this would be a lesser ask.
Up at Dupont the currents asks are in the 11-14s range, for the most part. '
Looking at what's in the area, what this backs on to; and thinking about the suggested partner, I'm inclined to think this will be on the shorter end of things.
I'm not arguing for that, merely putting forth what I think will happen.

Also, they should build this site with a new library in the base, and then go ahead and redevelop the library across the street as another high rise.

The Spadina Road branch sorely needs replacement and expansion.
I'm also entirely for replacing the existing building w/housing when that time comes.

However, that site is completely non-viable for a hirise unless you tear down the adjacent complex (es).
The entire site is only ~500m2 (that's a 1/3 less than a typical tower floorplate)
That's before accounting for setbacks and separation distances.

So, not happening.

Either redeveloped to ~3s affordable housing, OR, redevelop by adding in the adjacent lands/housing.

Last edited:
I love the focus on it being Indigenous-led and owned. It's the perfect location for it - right at 16 Spadina Road, across the street, is the Native Canadian Centre of Toronto. Being right next to Lines 1 and 2, the Spadina Streetcar, and U of T can't hurt either.

I’m well aware of all those issues @Northern Light , it is simply that the conditions designed by the city’s zoning that you described I think are wrong, and so I will continue to comment to move the Overton Window.

You know, I find the premise of your comment likeable.

But I would like it just for the correct use of 'Overton Window'

Last edited:
Spadina Road through the Annex, in its current form, is a wasted opportunity in terms of ground-level animation. If a new library is not incorporated into the base, I would like to see retail, or some other active community use, on the ground level.

Back