Toronto 38 Walmer Road | 79.58m | 20s | TAS | ZAS Architects

Was just about to tuck into breakfast for dinner (cornflakes)....

🌂

Not to derail the topic at hand, but you know Cornflakes are not a thing, right?; I mean they are, in the way 'The Social' is.... as an example of something that shouldn't be done, at least not in the way commonly intended.

Cornflakes do make a passable breading if you crush them and douse them in spices........

But they are neither a legitimate breakfast or dinner.

Lets get back to reality here.............. (dinner was fresh angel hair pasta, tossed in butter, olive oil, freshly grated garlic, freshly grated parm, chiffonade of basil, along with chives and parsley, and sundried tomato, twirled in a bowl with a bit of toasted panko o'er the top}

Its not enough to imagine a good dinner or a good building, you actually have to make it. (but don't eat the building)

As a cereal aficionado, I will not stand for this cornflakes slander!

Weekday breakfast is correctly a medium roast, rich coffee, with one sugar, and one cream; with lemon-pistachio biscotti.

While Sunday brunch is correctly 3 strips of bacon, thin potato rosti fried to golden in butter and olive oil with mixed green salad in white balsamic vinaigrette.

But in a concession to those I respect; I will concede a second legitimate use for Cornflakes:

38Walmer-001.jpg

38Walmer-002.jpg

38Walmer-003.jpg

38Walmer-004.jpg

38Walmer-005.jpg

An interesting comparable is Plazoleta Güemes in Buenos Aires. It shows what's possible in this location; it's a great public space with a nice mix of everything. Gwendolyn Macewen Parkette is about half the size, but is surrounded by a fair amount of open space that could be reconfigured to create something with the same area.

38Walmer-006.jpg

Last edited:
Those apple trees in Gwendolyn McEwan are really nice when they bloom. That's probably the only time of the year when anyone lingers there, other than the guy with all the pomeranians.

An interesting comparable is Plazoleta Güemes in Buenos Aires. It shows what's possible in this location; it's a great public space with a nice mix of everything. Gwendolyn Macewen Parkette is about half the size, but is surrounded by a fair amount of open space that could be reconfigured to create something with the same area.

View attachment 556447

Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but the above is an interesting notion (expanding the traffic island/park)

So I loaded up the area map from the City showing the property lines in pink:

1713203765726.png

There is one logical expansion here, as I see it.

Walmer's west branch is required both for a logical road alignment and for property access and servicing.

It is feasible to close to Lowther at the south end of the park, but would create some odd traffic patterns.

There isn't a lot of reallocatable private property on the south or west frontages w/o cutting down mature trees.

That leaves the north-east of the park. Here we have the east leg of Walmer which is not required for property access, and the loss of which would be any great inconvenience.

This is also the one corner where there is a material amount of public property abutting the private road, which does not feature mature trees, and with a road closure any wouldn't need to be remove anyways.

The existing park is ~1200m2 or 0.12ha.

An expanded park, like below should be feasible here:

1713204166960.png

That would be ~1650m2 or about 1/3 larger.

There is a bit more wiggle room w/o private property by reducing the turning radii at the intersections that might it just past 1700m2 and if some of the private property by the apartment to the north-east were acquired a bit more might be feasible but would likely be strata over their parking.

That would be a real improvement I think; though it would not be nearly as large as Plaza Guemes. The latter is ~3800m2

Back