News   Aug 01, 2024
 378     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 499     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 475     0 

Agnam, it's useless talking to people like Waffler. The guy clearly has no idea why Unions exist, or what goes in on the TTC. He reads a couple of books, or listens to Sean Hannity, and he's suddenly an expert on unions. I wouldn't bother. I have talked to a number of streetcar mechanics, and I applaud the job they do in keeping those clunkers running.

Its cool, he is entitled to his opinion all I am doing here is just giving him my opinion and version of what goes on behind closed doors which the public never sees.

I'll remember that every time I hear TTC riders complaining about another fare increase. Your logic is pretty flawed and exposes an acute inability to grasp reality on your part. It doesn't matter if it's Gov't or private sector, controlling costs is essential, and part of that is getting as much work out of the worker as possible during their shift. It's called work for a reason, because it isn't fun or relaxing. That is why we get time off work. By paying far too much for what they get from the worker, they starve the organization of funds for things like new subways, buses and help avoid fare increases. I don't think the problem is with the front line employees like drivers, as they take more poop in a day from the public than most other workers out there, and their jobs are becoming increasingly dangerous... they earn their pay. But the maintenance 'workers' might do some work in a given shift, but not much.

BTW, there is a private sector for transit employees. Grayhound, Canada Coach Lines and the like.
Actually, I believe you've missed the point, but unlike some I don't put words in other people's mouths or try to attack the person rather than the arguement.

Controlling costs is essential. That is the role of TTC management. The TTC management has not been doing their job of using their resources effeciently. The Unions role is to do the work required of them and to protect their members from abrupt change. Most people that work in a unionized environment are exactly the same as most people that work in a non-unionized environment; working as hard as necessary to make a living.

I believe the best method for future labour services is not contract negoiations with the Unions, but an Open Public tender, where the unions are invited to submit a cost competetive bit. That would end all this mythical superiority of the for-profit sector or the inferred morbidity of unions.

I don't think the status quo is working well, but I don't hate or blame the rank and file workers individually for it, nor do I blame them collectively as the Unions. We need to get past this need for attaching blame. I'm pretty sure the TTC was still disfunctional 30 years, before most currently working had anything to do with the TTC.

For the record, an average Greyhound driver earns $20.09 an hour; a top TTC driver earns $25.56 an hour. However, Greyhound is unionized (ATU 1415).

Back