News   Aug 01, 2024
 372     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 497     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 475     0 

To say unions are less efficent and more expensive than the private companies is a sterotype. For example, unions aren't about making profits, thus they can pay employees more and still be less expensive than for-profit groups. As there isn't a 'private sector' of transit employees, we don't have a baseline for comparision.

It is union management and company management that creates the enviornment that everyone works in. If that's an atmosphere of hostility and blame, what progress will be made? If we were to change that to an atmosphere of cooperation and innovation, the Union would fade to the background. Would you work 13 hour days (split shifts with a 4hr break), 5 days a week for $55k?

I know consultants who do design work for the TTC charge around 3-3.5x the cost of an employee's time. So even at minimum wage, a private-for profit company would increase the costs to the TTC.

Yes, unions encourage higher wages and protect even marginal workers, but don't hate them because they are filling the role they are entended to fill.

The TTC union isn't filling the role they are intended to fill. The TTC worker has little in common with the average worker.

I don't think stealing copper wire is related to being part of a union - there are assholes everywhere.

However, how that worker is disciplined for his actions might have a great deal to do with whether he belongs to a union or not.

I don't think stealing copper wire is related to being part of a union - there are assholes everywhere.

However, how that worker is disciplined for his actions might have a great deal to do with whether he belongs to a union or not.

Unions and discipline? Don't make me laugh.

To say unions are less efficent and more expensive than the private companies is a stereotype. For example, unions aren't about making profits, thus they can pay employees more and still be less expensive than for-profit groups. As there isn't a 'private sector' of transit employees, we don't have a baseline for comparision.

I'll remember that every time I hear TTC riders complaining about another fare increase. Your logic is pretty flawed and exposes an acute inability to grasp reality on your part. It doesn't matter if it's Gov't or private sector, controlling costs is essential, and part of that is getting as much work out of the worker as possible during their shift. It's called work for a reason, because it isn't fun or relaxing. That is why we get time off work. By paying far too much for what they get from the worker, they starve the organization of funds for things like new subways, buses and help avoid fare increases. I don't think the problem is with the front line employees like drivers, as they take more poop in a day from the public than most other workers out there, and their jobs are becoming increasingly dangerous... they earn their pay. But the maintenance 'workers' might do some work in a given shift, but not much.

BTW, there is a private sector for transit employees. Grayhound, Canada Coach Lines and the like.

But the maintenance 'workers' might do some work in a given shift, but not much.

What is that supposed to mean? If any workers do their part it is the maintenance workers, you have no idea what our mechanics have to do to keep these rust buckets up and moving.

Some of you keep voicing your support for the private sector, Im guessing this is because you work in a non Union environment and think they will do a better job. I honestly cant say if that is true or not but there is one thing I can say, every time we get a private sector to work for us it is a dissaster. They cut corners,over price jobs and the parts we send out to get done are of a very poor quality when they come back.

What that is supposed to mean is that we, the tax payer, are being over-billed. They simply don't do much work relative to their compensation. I get my point of view from a former TTC maintenance worker, since moved on to another city department. Got tired of not being able to do more than 30 minutes of actual work in a day without someone filing a grievance.

It's not a union vs. non-union thing, it's a Gov't vs everything else thing. There is little room for error in aircraft maintenance, and the union, non-Gov't workers there do a top notch job and under the constraints of a for-profit organization.

Got tired of not being able to do more than 30 minutes of actual work in a day without someone filing a grievance.

Ok that is the most dumbest thing I have read so far......how can a worker file a grievance for a co-worker doing too much work? Who do you file it with? What is your grievance based on? Sounds to me your buddy is BS you......what was his position in the TTC, where did he work?

Yesterday I had my mechanics replace 4 driveshafts, 1 motor and fixed a disabled train all in 8 hours of work.......so how can you say no work is being done.

Back